Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,756,429 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if any of you ever met any Faroese or been to the Faroe Islands? The islands seem kind of mysterious to me and I know the climate is foul there and are descended from vikings like Icelanders. Curious about the local culture and how it differs from Icelandic and other Scandinavian cultures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:27 PM

990 posts, read 1,947,959 times
I have seen cars with Faroese license plates in Sweden but never met anyone from there. I have a few friends online who lives there though.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 09-30-2014 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,360,783 times
Have met a small group at a pub here in Vienna back in 2013. They visited for the world cup qualification game against Austria.
We chatted for a while. They mostly made fun of us because of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFbxsLiq2Ro

In the end, we won the game 6:0, so that was that.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,895,376 times
I will boycot the Faeroe islands as long as they slaughter wales... see the "Grind" campaign of Sea Shepherd...but anyway their climate is so rotten I see no incentive to go there!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:06 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,192,656 times
Nope. But I've met once someone from Iceland.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I will boycot the Faeroe islands as long as they slaughter wales... see the "Grind" campaign of Sea Shepherd...but anyway their climate is so rotten I see no incentive to go there!
In the Faroe Islands they eat (non-endangered) whales, just like people eats cows and pigs in your country. 30% of meat consumed in the Faroe Islands is whale meat, and in order to obtain whale meat you have to, well, kill whales, I admit its quite messy sight but its all done as quickly as possible. Tastes really good too, I've eaten it, not in the Faroe Islands but here in Sweden. Any problem with that?

Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 AM

they not only slaugter savagely '("grind") endangered dolphins, but they throw off most of the meat as offal (less and less faeroese eat actually that "meat", they'd rather have burgers and hot dogs nowadays)and let their children bathe in the dolphin's blood, -pretty unsavoury in my book-....

Old 10-01-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
they not only slaugter savagely '("grind") endangered dolphins, but they throw off most of the meat as offal (less and less faeroese eat actually that "meat", they'd rather have burgers and hot dogs nowadays)and let their children bathe in the dolphin's blood, -pretty unsavoury in my book-....
Well thats quite a dramatisation. First of all, the species they hunt, pilot whales (called grindhval) is not endangered. No they do not throw off any of the meat back in the sea, just unedible parts like heads, fins, bones and tails. All friends I know online who lives there eats whale meat, and they love it. As I said I have also eaten it here in Sweden, and it tastes really good so I can understand why they want to keep it.

Letting your children attend hunting is a great way to pass on the hunting for the next generations. Moose hunters here in Sweden does the same.

Why most arguments against grindadráp fail » HEINESEN.info

Old 10-01-2014, 07:38 AM

did you read the last UN environmental report ? 38% of terrestrial living beings and 67% of maritime are endangered.
The survival of such barbarous traditions as the Grind just sends worldwide the false signal.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
did you read the last UN environmental report ? 38% of terrestrial living beings and 67% of maritime are endangered.
The survival of such barbarous traditions as the Grind just sends worldwide the false signal.
Its not for "tradition" unless you consider eating meat as tradition. Its for meat that represents 30% of meat consumption in the Faroe Islands. This is not some large scale hunt, usually less than 1,000, of a species thats NOT even endangered or threatened, but rather extremely common. Focus on more serious issues like rhino poaching instead, a real threat to a whole species, and let the Faroese have their non-endangered meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe