Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,693,973 times

Advertisements

crazy late hours for everything
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 04:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,827,873 times
I guess Spaniards would not be happy to be confused with Mexicans
(Just like Portuguese would not be happy to be confused with Brazilians.)

Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,638,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I think Americans would like Spain. The main language in both countries is Spanish, they both have an equally strong economy, unemployment rates are about the same and the climate in Spain is about equal to the one in the Southern US states.

Say what?

Old 10-19-2014, 03:53 AM

125 posts, read 163,870 times
Spain is the only place in Europe that I haven't been to that I'd like to visit.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 AM

76 posts, read 97,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yeah inland Spain has whats called a Continental Mediterranean climate.

Not true, Continental and quite harsh.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:59 AM

76 posts, read 97,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When most people think "Mediterranean", Spain is usually one of the top countries that come to mind. Also the term "Mediterranean" has not only been historically used a geographical definition but also as a cultural and ethnic identification as well.

Not really, Greece, Italy, Sicily are countries far more mediterranean.

Plus, modern day Spain was shaped from the north down and the influence of the Mediterranean was not decisive.

Now, if Mediterranean is Rome, yes, all western Europe.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,676 times
-Beautiful people
-Friendly people
-Great nightlife
-Great food
-Low crime
-Strong family structure
-Lots to do

Sigh, I miss it!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:05 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,249,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Race obsession = something the working classes do!!!

the well traveled, educated, wealthy, worldly are exposed, so they see the world from a much more sophisticated point of view!

it is the working masses the ones who find pride in trivial things like skin colors, origins, last names and that sort of stuff!
You don't have to be wealthy to have knowledge of a lot of different cultures and nationalities and countries. I'm certainly an not wealthy nor am I blue-collar (I'm a college student) but my immediate family had a working class past and are now upper middle class (we are all born and raised here in the DC/Maryland area, this area alone is one of the most diverse metro areas in the US, be it racially, ethnically, and/or socioeconomically. Don't know if you're intentionally doing it, but I certainly hope you're not painting all Americans under a broad brush regardless of their economic background. That in itself is actually ignorant in its own way. Just telling it like it is.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Racism exists on all levels of social class. It's not just the working class that is obsessed with race. You can travel the world and still be closed-minded. Most people who travel to different countries stay mostly in the tourists areas and rarely venture out of those places.
Exactly.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:35 PM

What comes to mind when I think of Spain:

Madrid
Barcelona
Basque Country
Football/Soccer fanaticism
Beautiful terrain
Gastronomic paradise
The clubs, street parties, and beaches of Ibiza
The original Spanish language
Gorgeous women
Andalusia
Mild Mediterranean coastal climate and hotter/drier inland climate
Joie de Vivre lifestyle
Powerful navy in its imperial days (i.e. the notorious Spanish galleons)
Enduring nightlife where it's not uncommon to still party til noon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe