Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite city?
Prague 6 24.00%
Vienna 11 44.00%
Budapest 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:56 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,375,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
by the way you mentioned budapest is vastly white, but budapest is not white.... budapest is Hungarian and then you have the gypsies and the jews

white to me is gringo: white-American, anglo-canadian, aussies, kiwis and the british

I don't really see hungarians, Swiss, french, spaniards etc as white folks, I think being white is an anglo thing in my opinion (I have jewish and Basque roots I would also be white then but I don't see myself as such)

So now white is "whatever Irene says".

Eastern Europeans, some of the blondest and most fair-skinned people on earth, aren't white now! Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,845,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

So now white is "whatever Irene says".

Eastern Europeans, some of the blondest and most fair-skinned people on earth, aren't white now! Who knew?
whiteness, blackness is all subjective

in MY head I don't think I could see Europeans (minus the english) as white people, white is a very american thing and I hardly find the average euro has much in common with bob from omaha nebraska!

just like paco the cholo from LA has absolutely nothing in common with Argentinian dude from usuahia or jamal the black dude from chicago has nothing to do with kumbuye from the congo.

I have travelled a lot

Ive lost my identity and adopted a multicultural one, so yeah I fail to see europeans as white (except english who are like Americans, and who actually coined the term in the first place)

white implies you have a white american culture, which hungarians and europeans in general don't have

my ancestors are basque and jewish from france and they migrated to south america over 100 years ago and trust me, I have more in common with a black colombian or an indigenous colombian kid from the amazon than with any white american or canadian or australian!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,870,325 times
So a good city according to Irene is:

- chaotic
- dirty
- gritty
- unorganised
- dangerous
- 2nd world
- no gringos
- no chinese
- not Northern/Central European or North American
- booze, but not too much booze
- compulsory dancing
- no clean historical buildings, but not ugly buildings either
- no suburbs
- no vegans, liberals, gays, feminists, yuppies, hipsters
- diverse but not in the wrong way

My suggestions are Luanda and N'Djamena.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
So a good city according to Irene is:

- chaotic
- dirty
- gritty
- unorganised
- dangerous
- 2nd world
- no gringos
- no chinese
- not Northern/Central European or North American
- booze, but not too much booze
- compulsory dancing
- no clean historical buildings, but not ugly buildings either
- no suburbs
- no vegans, liberals, gays, feminists, yuppies, hipsters
- diverse but not in the wrong way

My suggestions are Luanda and N'Djamena.
No, your city in finland is where I want to be!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:16 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,375,576 times
Quote:

white implies you have a white american culture, which hungarians and europeans in general don't have
In your world, white (for some strange reason) means "American". No wonder everyone is confused by your posts on this thread.

Yeah, Budapest won't have many Americans. Not sure what this has to do with anything. Vienna and Prague won't either.

Still doesn't explain why you think DC and SF are "too American", whatever that means, but I digress...

Old 11-10-2014, 11:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,621,142 times
Quote:
San francisco felt VERY white-american to me, and the latino community is mexican and central americans (which are almost the same thing) I didnt see a single south america (come to think of it you hardly see south americans in the US outside miami or NYC), and then you have like hordes of chinese-americans which the locals call asians but I honestly didnt feel this international vibe, and then the people hanging around the city make it a very irritating place to be.
So you want an American city without Americans?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:05 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,149,445 times
Quote:
To put it on Canadian terms:

Vienna = Ottawa, clean, green, safe, pretty but ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Prague = Quebec city, picturesque, pristine......... oh it's soon pretty like a little tea cup kinda deal
Budapest = Montreal... rough parts, nice parts, eclectic, tons of art, diversity and so on

and on american terms

Vienna = DC proper, clean, safe, spotless, sterile, kinda ZZZZZZZZZ
Prague = Disneyland in Orlando, beautiful, charming, you feel like you're gonna come across cinderella when you least expect it
Budapest = San Francisco, rough parts, nice classy parts, eclectic, character, tons of bars, nightlife, museums, party etc. etc.

Out of the three, my choice is clearly Budapest
Vienna is not ZZZZZZ...

Old 11-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So you want an American city without Americans?
I want an American city with Americans but not cliche ones!!!

Chicago for example was nice and had everyday american folk, Miami was pleasant and the people too, San antonio had very pleasant people, raleigh had lovely southern folk

San francisco has obnoxious entitled americans who can't shut up about how they graduated from berkeley and they're vegans and so on!

Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,272,756 times
Quote:
I want an American city with Americans but not cliche ones!!!

Chicago for example was nice and had everyday american folk, Miami was pleasant and the people too, San antonio had very pleasant people, raleigh had lovely southern folk

San francisco has obnoxious entitled americans who can't shut up about how they graduated from berkeley and they're vegans and so on!
With everything, it's a reflection of the people you are meeting, hanging out with, spending time with in each city.

Most people wouldn't say Miami folks were 'pleasant'. Usually they get quite a few very negative connotations. But, for some people, they go there, and they experience pleasantness.

No doubt SF has that element that you discuss, but they are just one aspect of the city, the reality is there is just about every kind of person in that city, usually of a more liberal bent, for sure. But every kind of person is in abundance there, just like anywhere else.

I think it's a safe assumption that SF attracts those kinds of people that you mention, but that's not what makes up the city, by any means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe