Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 02:30 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,001,845 times

Advertisements

Yes. I get a little sad sometimes that I don't still live in Ireland...but then I get a craving for burritos and Japanese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Yes. I get a little sad sometimes that I don't still live in Ireland...but then I get a craving for burritos and Japanese food.
And generally speaking, Tex Mex food in Europe is horrible.

That's why I can't live there.

Well, that's an oversimplification but it's symbolic of a lot. When I lived in Europe, I enjoyed myself immensely, but over time the things I missed about living in the US outweighed the fun I was having exploring Europe. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way I do, but that's how it worked out for me, and I suspect that's how many people reach the conclusion to "go home again," in spite of liking many things about a place that's simply "not home."

Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 PM

42 posts, read 44,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
US really should be in the "non-free" list, as all regulations and laws come from mega-corporations sponsoring US government via legalized bribe scheme called here "lobbying" and designed to favour them not small or medium size businesses not to mention individuals who are generally treated as scam targets. Majority of large corporations here in the US do not even pay income tax because of endless number of tax loopholes specifically put in by the government and successfully used by the army of corporate lawyers.

Quality of housing, food, access to educational and health care systems are so inferior to countries like Germany that in most parts US really looks and feels like third world country.
I most agree with you. United States government is pretty much controlled by corporate industries which constantly push for a less free American society. The largest investment banks in United States were actually bailed out by the US government and short after they gave their top executives millions of dollars in bonuses. Europe has all kind of lobbying and the corporate industries and US banks (and their corporate media) is extremely powerful and skew the market so it benefits only those corporations in power. Look at the so called property tax (which is abolished in certain European countries like Sweden) hits the middle class while it does not hit the very wealthy. In the same time other kinds of property (stocks and bonds) are not taxed. Most of the stocks and bonds are owned by the richest few. It says a lot who are actually paying the taxes. Government ought to serve the people and not large corporations, banks and the very wealthy. I write this as a person on the “the right” and I’m appalled by the US government how they take money from corporations who care nothing for Americans.

What I think will happen is that US going in for a bumpy ride. The poor is getting poorer and cannot consume as much as before. In fact, the 10th richest actually need the 90th poorest for consumption – to buy their products but with good jobs going overseas fewer and fewer can afford buying their products. That is why we see so many dead malls around the United States. People have no money to buy their stuff. The corporations and their greed will be their death. The only reason why things still is running is because the US government subsidized millions of unemployed together with banks and corporation. They pay for it with loans and printing of money (which explains the insane inflation).

Germany had a good economy until very recently when it blew up in their faces and is now stagnating. This is in part because of the EU central bank, the printing of money (EURO) and the European Union insane regulations. Of course – the bankers who run the EU isn’t helping. There are more and more European states which had enough of the European Union. United Kingdom will (if the conservative wins) hold an election in 2017 if they going to the stay in the Union. Iceland, Norway and Switzerland has decided not join the European Union because it drags their economies down. You also see Hungary taking steps away from the EU and join Russia. Russia is currently sanctioned by the US and the European Union because of the conflict in the Ukraine. It was the US government who over through the leading party in Ukraine because it wanted to discuss trade agreements with Russia. Russia is an integral part of world trade and US and EU sanctions hurt also the US and EU economy and in particular countries like Germany and France. Most Europeans have no problem with Russia and they show little aggression – although Europeans are told the opposite by the media. US world hegemony is costly for the world and apparently their puppet state Japan will be involved in their scheme. They are printing more and more money and see less and less growth. I think most people are tired of these warmongering politicians and their bankers in Washington DC. Americans should ask themselves – do we really want to live in this country. But also – they would take their country back voting these Lindsey Graham types out of office.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:34 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,212,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Anyone else go through periods of serious Europe withdrawals lol?
No way.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 AM

858 posts, read 2,239,370 times
Yes, I get the withdrawal as well, every year. It's almost sad that I have this feeling. I am always living the dream and can never get myself to have a connection to America.

I have been traveling to Europe once a year since 2006 and this year, I have traveled to Normandy and Brittany two months ago, and currently staying in The Netherlands for a month. I have decided if I have the opportunity to move, it would be The Netherlands. What lovely people, unique old and modern architecture, and I can get anywhere by a bike.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,546,864 times
When I started to miss aspects of Canada in Germany, I would just walk around a Real for twenty minutes.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM

240 posts, read 240,448 times
The thing I notice about Euros is they still think smoking is cool , anyone if vaping has caught on there yet , it is really needed there for the younger people I know Amsterdam is gettting it I vape my juice from thre

Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM

42 posts, read 44,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
The thing I notice about Euros is they still think smoking is cool , anyone if vaping has caught on there yet , it is really needed there for the younger people I know Amsterdam is gettting it I vape my juice from thre
The consumption of cigarettes per capita is lower in Ireland, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Latvia, United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland than in United States. Among the ten countries who hold the highest rate of tobacco consumption nine is Eastern European and one is Southern European (Greece).

List of countries by cigarette consumption per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why Europeans are so into smoking is a bit strange. In Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland they use something called “Snus” instead of cigarettes. Production and commercial import of Snus for is illegal in the European Union area and in Iceland. Still, you can import it for personal use.

Snus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dipping tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why the evil liberals in the European Union has banned Snus (Although produced, traded legally and freely within the Scandinavian Zone - not including Iceland) is beyond me because it is just processed tobacco and is very similar to Dipping Tobacco which is fairly popular in United States. There are so many reasons why the European Union is bad for Europe and hurt the trade of once free nations.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,167,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylock View Post
The consumption of cigarettes per capita is lower in Ireland, France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Latvia, United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland than in United States. Among the ten countries who hold the highest rate of tobacco consumption nine is Eastern European and one is Southern European (Greece).

List of countries by cigarette consumption per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why Europeans are so into smoking is a bit strange. In Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland they use something called “Snus” instead of cigarettes. Production and commercial import of Snus for is illegal in the European Union area and in Iceland. Still, you can import it for personal use.

Snus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dipping tobacco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why the evil liberals in the European Union has banned Snus (Although produced, traded legally and freely within the Scandinavian Zone - not including Iceland) is beyond me because it is just processed tobacco and is very similar to Dipping Tobacco which is fairly popular in United States. There are so many reasons why the European Union is bad for Europe and hurt the trade of once free nations.
Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Slovakia, Poland, Italy, Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, and the Czech Republic all have smoking rates higher (in many cases SIGNIFICANTLY higher) that that of the US, and I even left out some more obscure EU countries, I'm pretty sure. So that's probably where so many American tourists are getting the idea that Europeans smoke so much! Wow - I didn't even realize it was as bad as it is there.

I can't imagine why that is. Interesting.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 AM

72 posts, read 112,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And generally speaking, Tex Mex food in Europe is horrible.

That's why I can't live there.

Well, that's an oversimplification but it's symbolic of a lot. When I lived in Europe, I enjoyed myself immensely, but over time the things I missed about living in the US outweighed the fun I was having exploring Europe. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way I do, but that's how it worked out for me, and I suspect that's how many people reach the conclusion to "go home again," in spite of liking many things about a place that's simply "not home."

I Agree !!!! Europe is home to Europeans and America is home to the Americans.....There are pros and cons of both !!!!No perfect place !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe