Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2014, 01:27 PM

16 posts, read 13,467 times

Advertisements

I know that some countries ( i dont know why but..) in Europe have compulsory "military service" ...

For example in Norway,Denmark and Germany or Finland ...But i also know that its not really "compulsory" because in reality your are not actually forced to go to the army because you can choose to work or to study or you just dont wanna to volunteer to the army..So from what i understand you can choose not to go and even if you want the army might not take you....

Can anyone answer please?

Thank you for your answers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 01:34 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,015,713 times
If you were born in those countries it is a must to serve the military. Here is a link that you can find more information. But I am not sure if there is a possibility choose not to go.
http://www.ebco-beoc.org/files/Europ...%20service.pdf

Old 11-11-2014, 01:35 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,490,837 times
In the past it was mandatory in some countries (or most of them) nowadays it is not mandatory, some young men go and most of young men don't. But one can stay at home: no study not working and not military service, and nothing happens.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
Germany doesn't have conscription anymore.

Denmark and Norway have a very selective conscription with the vast majority being volunteers. In those countries the need for conscripts is quite small, and only a small part of the age group is being drafted. So with a good reason you won't be drafted.

Finland on the other hand has a large conscript army with only semi-selective conscription. Around 70% of every age class is drafted. You are exempt for health reasons, or you can take civil service instead.

You are forced to go before you turn 28 in Finland. You can postpone it if you're studying or for other personal reasons, but you have to do your conscription at some point. Double nationals living abroad are now exempt, but only recently.

Next time please say in the thread title what you're asking, it's good forum behaviour.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,350,066 times
In Austria you usually get a letter from the military when you are 17 in which they invite you to some medical examinations. From that moment on you have a couple of months to think about your options:

- Regular military service: 6 months
- Reserve officer track + military service: 12 months
- Military band: 14 months; you'll have to know how to play an instrument beforehand

- Civil service: 8 months

- nothing at all: because of your health; (A) you know a doctor who's writing you an exemption, which get's double checked by a military doctor. A really good excuse is obligatory (B) you really are sick; even when your knee or shoulder is ****ed up you'll get drafted when it's healed. Unlike the former German military service, they usually take everybody in Austria. Which usually means office work for people with asthma etc.

You can get drafted until the age of 35, which they usually do. Dual nationals are not exempt and you usually can postpone the service if you are studying.
Consequences of not showing up to the medical examination or to your first day at the army: the military police will get you.

So, you can avoid military service, but it's rather hard to do neither military service nor civil service.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,225,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Next time please say in the thread title what you're asking, it's good forum behaviour.
Agreed.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:52 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,257,979 times
I was registered as male when I was born (clerical error obviously!), dual national living abroad, didn't get a letter about turning up but did get a letter saying a warrant was out for my arrest for failure to turn up. Fun times.

My brother did the military service, hated it and refused to return after his Christmas leave and was able to switch to civilian service in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe