Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,029,070 times

Advertisements

My guess: tourism from Ibiza and the canary islands? and...Fernando Torres and Fernando Alonso give them money??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 09:52 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Who say Spain is wealthy?
Pretty much everyone?

Spain is wealthy, of course. It's one of the wealthier nations on earth (probably in top 10% or so of nations).

Old 12-05-2014, 09:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
A similar phenomena happened in the US, as all the rust belt was abandoned for places with better weather, unions and better conditions...Plus Spain in Energy Independent from Russians, leader in alternate energy and with the language with more speakers in the world.
That's quite an exaggeration to say "all the rust belt was abandoned".

Every single Rust Belt state has grown in population over the past few decades. Even states like Michigan and Ohio are at peak population. They may be growing slower than states like Florida and Texas, but they are still growing, at roughly the same pace as most Western European countries.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:00 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,977,970 times
Spain's national wealth is US$5 trillion, which is the world's 10th largest behind all members of G7, China, and Australia.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:24 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,070,511 times
A lot of Spain's wealth is in the hands of its landowners. Like the UK, only a few people own most of the land.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 PM

77 posts, read 100,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
A lot of Spain's wealth is in the hands of its landowners. Like the UK, only a few people own most of the land.
Maybe. In Germany many less people their own homes than in the UK.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:18 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,070,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmann View Post
Maybe. In Germany many less people their own homes than in the UK.
I am on about the total area of land of the country, not home ownership. A home sits on a small parcel of land. In the UK only 7.7% of the land is settled including gardens and open spaces. Only 1.5% of the land has masonry on it. The country is empty. 0.66% of the population own 70% of the land. Spain has a large land area and a smaller population. Their overall land ownership is similar to the UK, if not worse.

LandArticle

Old 12-06-2014, 11:35 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,081,165 times
Most of Spain is empty, there are large holdings of idle and wild land, hunting areas, large areas that are deserted.

For example, Castile and Leon is a community the size of UK with less than 2 million inhabitants.

Most of the population is concentrated along the coast, Madrid and a few places more.

Not really, very large landowners were very important 60 years ago, not now. Most of big fortunes are associated with industry, banking, retailing. I believe tha richest man is the owner of Zara, then comes bankers, industrialists, etc.

Less than 2 percent of the population works in agriculture.

Last edited by Miserere; 12-06-2014 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-06-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
That's quite an exaggeration to say "all the rust belt was abandoned".

Every single Rust Belt state has grown in population over the past few decades. Even states like Michigan and Ohio are at peak population. They may be growing slower than states like Florida and Texas, but they are still growing, at roughly the same pace as most Western European countries.

But industry and technology migrated south. I'm referring to states that were very poor like NC which are now poles of attraction.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Don't be too quick to assume things, I actually live in Spain so I know very well the subject I'm talking about.
The reason I started this thread is because In my 12 months living in this country I still haven't figured out what makes it appear so wealthy. I look around my social circle and all of my friends despite being very qualified and educated have basic jobs and medium to low salaries without any hope of improvement, and that seems to be the norm in Spain nowadays.
However public services and infrastructure are definetely first-world despite all the austerity measures taken in the last years so something must be wrong.

Wikipedia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe