Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 AM

363 posts, read 480,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
This is a good example of a sentence that is easily guessable for Dutch speakers, without knowing Norwegian.

Alla=alle
kaninene=konijnen
ulvene=wolven
slo=sluiten
seg=zich
sammen=samen
etter=na (but English after)
kommunismens=communisme
fall=val

Only og is a word that is totally different. We use 'en' and there is no English or German equivalent either that makes guessing easier.
Lots of Dutch People settled in Bergen city back in the old days, and lots of Norwegians immigrated to Holland about 200 years ago. Old Dutch People sounds littlebit like striler when they speak, striler are rural People who lives outside Bergen city in Norway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 07:19 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Norway and Denmark, but not Swedish...because I live in Denmark. Conversations between Danes, Swedes and Norwegians generally take place with each person speaking their own language; however the spoken languages sound different, with Danish being the hardest grasp for English-speaking ears, followed by Swedish and Norwegian.

I guess Flemish and Dutch are quite close, but NOT Frisian.

The Dutch and Germans seem to be the most agile learners of Danish, as their alphabets contain many of the same vowel sounds, but not the soft consonants (in Danish).
It is a matter of opinion what language Norwegain is the most similar to. Written Norwegian is much closer to Danish, but on the other hand, Norwegian numbers, consonants, articulations, vowels, and pronunciations (especially those from the Oslo area and eastern Norway) is much closer to Swedish, it has even happened that Norwegians has been mistaken as Swedes in Denmark, at least according to a Norwegian linguist on Swedish radio last week said her family was mistaken as Swedes by some people at Tivoli and that the confusion is not too uncommon in situations like asking someone for directions.

On the sidenote, I have once been mistaken as a Dane in Norway for my thick Scanian accent when asking for directions.

Regardlessly, the 3 Scandinavian languages are more than 90% the same words (same as in either the same words or just slight spelling differences), and the grammar and order of words is also almost the same in Swedish, Danish and Bokmål Norwegian. Written Nynorsk is not very far from either.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-22-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 08:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Germany and Austria.
Britain and Ireland.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Wow that's surprising its almost like Portuguese and Spanish are dialects of thee same language.
Not at all, they are completely separate languages.

I am fluent in Portuguese, and I also understand Spanish, but that doesn't mean that I could write what I hear or that I understand every word. Often the mind ignores and simply fills in the gaps and differences based on what one expects the other the say, what makes sense, etc. Sometimes it is just jumping from lexeme to lexeme and making sense of it all. This way one can follow a conversation. It is a bit like with speed reading, one gets the content without being aware of every word read.

I was watching an interview in Dutch recently and understood most of it, although I have never had anything to do with the Netherlands or learned any Dutch. I can follow the conversation simply because I speak German. But I could not write or repeat anything they said.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Germany and Austria.
Britain and Ireland.
Thats the same languages, does not count as similar.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:25 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Thats the same languages, does not count as similar.
this kinda reminds me....when i was living in dubai my boss was Irish, so he asked me once: "Have you got a pen" - it took like 5 minutes to get that he meant "do you have" lol. People should speak like Americans, otherwise it's not comprehensible , jk.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:07 PM

123 posts, read 185,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Lots of Dutch People settled in Bergen city back in the old days, and lots of Norwegians immigrated to Holland about 200 years ago. Old Dutch People sounds littlebit like striler when they speak, striler are rural People who lives outside Bergen city in Norway.
One of the Frisian historic eleven cities, Hindeloopen, has a local Frisian dialect (Hylpers) that is not only Old-Frisian (as opposed to standard Frisian) but also has some Norwegian influences. This originates from the time Dutch and Frisians were involved in whaling.

This is from Wikipedia in Hylpers:

Bittersweet, bittersweet
priuwt dizze likje minnesang
sol dyn aer wol eenkear fange
as de fyne droppen 't ryne

Hylpers is only spoken by 300 elderly people, so it is rapidly becoming extinct.

By the way, Frisian is a really interesting language (although I am not Frisian )

Old 11-22-2014, 02:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
Italian and French have quite a similar vocabulary (up to 89 % of lexical and gender similarity) and enjoy a very similar grammar (Italian has more articles, more declined prepositions, much complex subjunctive, French has a slightly different use of past/future/duration, a little bit more complicated indefinite pronouns and adjectives).
What makes French strikingly different is phonology.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 24,236 times
Icelandic and Faroese are close in written form. Pronunciation is different, but I would think not too difficult to master if you speak one or the other.

Faroese: At vera at skilja, at eita.
Icelandic: Að vera, að skilja, að heita

Faroese: Eg eiti ikki John.
Icelandic: Ég heiti ekki John.

(Faroese – Icelandic – English)
føroyska – færeyska – Faroese
íslendska – íslenska – Icelandic
ella – eða – or
sum – sem – which/that/who
hvat – hvað – what
tað – það – it
hvørkikyn – hvorugkyn – neuter gender
kvennkyn – kvenkyn – female gender
navnorð – nafnorð – noun
andstøða – andstæða – opposite
landalæra – landafræði – geography
bilur – bíll – car/automobile
bræv – bréf – letter
bókmentir – bókmenntir – literature
yvir – yfir – over
høgri – hægri – right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe