Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,910,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages

Finnish and Hungarian are not part of the Indo-European language family which is the largest number by far for any recognized language family.
Yes, I'm well aware of this. So? Language group = culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're in the last category, "miscellaneous". Personally I wouldn't put them with Germanic. Maybe we should let the Finns vote on it.
Our mentality, culture and way of life is very Germanic, so I think that's the most and only suitable group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:48 PM

990 posts, read 1,949,874 times
Assuming that you think language group = culture, does that mean England and France are culturally similar to Bangladesh? I mean, Bengali is an Indo-European language, isn't it?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 PM

26,867 posts, read 22,728,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
To call Norway "germanic" is some sort of insult. Sure there are many norwegians who have origins from Sweden and especially Denmark but to call it germanic because of that is somehow wrong.
Would you like to be identified as "Latin" instead may be? ( Finns will be in line to take your Germanic spot then.)

Old 11-17-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of this. So? Language group = culture?

Our mentality, culture and way of life is very Germanic, so I think that's the most and only suitable group.

All right, we'll identify you as Germanic subgroup for now. Kinda.
(Although truth to be told, you've scored worse than Albania))) )

Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
All right, we'll identify you as Germanic subgroup for now. Kinda.
(Although truth to be told, you've scored worse than Albania))) )
Scored worse where?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Scored worse where?
On Indo-European list you know.
Albanians go first.
You didn't even make the list.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
On Indo-European list you know.
Albanians go first.
You didn't even make the list.
Yeah.

We can be our own group as well with Estonia, I don't mind, as long as we are not in the same group as the Slavs, Szökö-Lökö Huns (aka Hungarians) or the Semi-Russians (aka Balts).

Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah.

We can be our own group as well with Estonia, I don't mind, as long as we are not in the same group as the Slavs, Szökö-Lökö Huns (aka Hungarians)
Uh, can't help you here - you'll end up in the same group with Czechs most likely - they like to claim that they are Germanic too in spite of their language, and Hungarians - did they fill out any application lately ( Latin or Germanic) or do you know? Because obviously they don't want to be Slavic and they won't be happy filed as Asians.

Quote:
or the Semi-Russians (aka Balts).
Semi-Russian yourself, I'm sure they'll come up with something creative.

P.S. Still checking on Bangladesh, now that Magnus brought their language to my attention. (I always felt suspicious about Brits and their so-called "Europeannes." We'll see what they will claim to be at the end. )

Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,849,380 times
Europe cannot be identified by latin, germanic, slavic....

Ive experience in eastern Europe and they are all very different

while the polish are more similar to baltic people, the Czech are more Germany like, Hungarians are a melting pot (germans, latin, slavic, balcans, turks and huns) all mixed into one.

then you have the balkans (with their mediterranean influence)

and then russians who are a world of their own

Europe is too diverse

Old 11-18-2014, 08:19 AM

990 posts, read 1,949,874 times
Language is not everything, and culture does not always come with language. Finns are an ethnic group widespread throughout this part of Europe, with about 5 million in Finland and more than half a million in Sweden, they are not culturally different from Scandinavians who happens to speak an Indo-European language.

No, Finnish is not a Germanic or Indo-European language and will never be. But the culture and way of life has way more in common with the rest of Scandinavia than it does with other countries speaking Uralic languages, an extremely small but at the same time very diverse language family of 3 non-intelligible major languages, plus a bunch of very small and rare minority languages, many on the edge of extinction. Just as there is not any common "Indo-European culture", there is not any common "Uralic culture".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe