Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times

Advertisements

Flying out 11/26-12/7 to/from Madrid. I was told to avoid Barcelona as it's just a big city and to head south for a more cultural experience.

I've been to Europe a few times, so I don't need to see every single art museum this time around. I'd rather relax and go exploring, try new foods and wine and see a more "traditional" side of the country. Anyone who has spent significant time in Spain have any recommendations on what to check out that's a little more off the beaten path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times
Salamanca. Nice town. Not far away from Madrid.

As for the rural, traditional expierence - I don't know.

Perhaps, you should stay in Andalusia for several days, visit Sevilla, Cordoba and to fly from Malaga? So - start from Madrid and than go to the South? Oh, I guess you already bought your airplane tickets.

Spanirards know better, for sure. There are a lot of them here...

By the way, I'm not sure how traditional is Sevilla. Nice town. A lot of tourists. But people are average, modern Europeans. The same as elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:04 PM

285 posts, read 301,566 times
Barcelona just a big city? lol It's one of the most beautiful and fun cities in Europe, flocked with visitors from other Europeans countries and all around the world.
Barcelona has great architecture (look up Gaudí and modernisme), great and fun beaches, great catalan food, several pretty and quaint neighborhoods (El born, Gracia, Eixample, Sarrià to name a few...) monuments, parks, museums, scenery, good looking people (for the most part) and an overall vibe that's very enjoyable and differs from that felt on the rest of Spain. IMO Barcelona is way more interesting than Madrid and by far the most interesting city in Spain, though a lot of people would argue with me on that.

Back to your question, if you want to exeprience a more traditional side of Spain I guess you'd enjoy Andalucia. That area is the one that resembles the most the stereotypes most people have about Spain and it's filled with pretty sites.
Sevilla, Cádiz, Cordoba, Granada, Málaga are all great cities with a lot to offer (IMO Sevilla is the second best city in Spain regarding architecture and overall vibe but that's just me).
Andalucia also has amazing beaches in the provinces of Cádiz and Málaga, though beaches in Málaga are more touristy. While you're in Andalucia you might also want to check the cities of Cácerez and Mérida in Extremadura, both very pretty towns.

I'd also recommend a trip to central Spain: Madrid, Toledo, Salamanca, Burgos, Segovia, Ávila, Ponferrada...

Or the northern side of the country which is a bit different from the image most people have of Spain but it's definitely a pretty side of the country and lots of nice cities: Santander, Oviedo, San Sebastian, A Coruña, Pontevedra, Santiago de Compostela, Avilés...

Spain has a looooot of beautiful places worth being seen, 10 days is just too little time to check everything out. You also haven't made it clear whether you prefer beaches or mountains, big cities or small cities, urban or rural... the most off-the-path routes are in central and northern Spain, Andalucia is more "tradicional Spain" but it's a very touristy area nonetheless.

On top of that there are area several other places of interest in the country, such as the cities in Costa Dorada and Costa Brava in Catalonia, the Balearic Islands, Canary Islands, beaches and cities in the Valencian community (Valencia, Alicante, Benidorm, Torrevieja...) but these are very touristy and well-known places, not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I know it's impossible to see of all that in 10 days but I just wanted to give some ideas on places to visit, you can google them and see what interests you the most. Have a great stay in Spain, hope you'll enjoy it.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:08 PM

520 posts, read 601,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorhernandez View Post
Barcelona just a big city? lol It's one of the most beautiful and fun cities in Europe, flocked with visitors from other Europeans countries and all around the world.
Barcelona has great architecture (look up Gaudí and modernisme), great and fun beaches, great catalan food, several pretty and quaint neighborhoods (El born, Gracia, Eixample, Sarrià to name a few...) monuments, parks, museums, scenery, good looking people (for the most part) and an overall vibe that's very enjoyable and differs from that felt on the rest of Spain. IMO Barcelona is way more interesting than Madrid and by far the most interesting city in Spain, though a lot of people would argue with me on that.
^I agree with all of this.^

OP, whoever told you to avoid Barcelona gave you terrible advice.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:26 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Firstly, go to Madrid and spend two or three days there. Then, all you need to do is rent a car and try San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Segovia, Ávila and Salamanca. This way you will see those beautiful medieval cities we have in the countryside.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 11-18-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM

847 posts, read 1,180,036 times
In Madrid there is a nice Musseo Cerralbo. It's a private mansion of the late 19th century. Worth visiting, in my humble opinion.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:30 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,636,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramercy View Post
^I agree with all of this.^

OP, whoever told you to avoid Barcelona gave you terrible advice.
I guess what they said is that it was very "NYC" like. I don't need to see a busy metropolitan area. I prefer getting out into the countryside. I'd say one of the coolest things I did when I was in Dublin last year was to take the train to Howth, Ireland, walk along the edge there and eat at a cool little fishery on my way back. Super peaceful and great sights. Same with when I was in France. Paris was awesome, but I took a day trip to Chantilly, France walked around, ate at a local cafe, walked through some forest they had there, etc.

One thing to factor in is the weather in December as well...

Old 11-18-2014, 10:48 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
Madrid I'd spend 4 days there, then head to the Basque country (san sebastian - bilbao) amazing region!!! and spend 4 days there, then two days in pamplona (in between madrid and basque country)

I HATE barcelona.... it is one of the most irritating places I've been to in my life!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Madrid I'd spend 4 days there, then head to the Basque country (san sebastian - bilbao) amazing region!!! and spend 4 days there, then two days in pamplona (in between madrid and basque country)

I HATE barcelona.... it is one of the most irritating places I've been to in my life!
Why is Barcelona irritating?

Old 11-19-2014, 02:50 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
Flying out 11/26-12/7 to/from Madrid. I was told to avoid Barcelona as it's just a big city and to head south for a more cultural experience.

I've been to Europe a few times, so I don't need to see every single art museum this time around. I'd rather relax and go exploring, try new foods and wine and see a more "traditional" side of the country. Anyone who has spent significant time in Spain have any recommendations on what to check out that's a little more off the beaten path?
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post

One thing to factor in is the weather in December as well...
Well, if avoiding the worst of the cold is a goal, then I would not call this a Spain trip, but an Andalucía trip for which you happen to have to land in Madrid.

All of Spain is great to visit, every inch of it, but in my experience just driving across Andalucía was one of the best and most instructive. I have toured about 60% of the country, mainly by car, and I spent the least of my time in Madrid and Barcelona, the latter which I also found annoying, and I have no regrets.

Other posters have already listed the main places in Andalucía. My favorites in Andalucía are Cordoba and Granada, but also Toledo and Ávila, ... and also .... and also ... and also ... and also ... and also ... and also ... (too many to list, then), but Toledo is on the way.

Anyway, my recommendation is to rent a car, not a train pass, study a map (even Google Earth which is for free) and a good guide book on Andalucía which also includes some detailed historical sketches (or do some independent research) of the various cities, but also its contemporary agriculture and its place in the world economy (by the way, they had a bad olive crop this year).

If you think ten days is too much for the one region, then consider including Algarve and Murcia, which seems to be off the beaten tourism path, and call it the southern Iberia trip.

On the other hand, it appears that the high/low temperatures depend more on elevation and proximity to the rather sea than latitude - you might gain 4-10 degrees Fahrenheit on average for more or less the same elevation in Andalucía -, so the temperatures may not be that big of a consideration.

So whatever path you decide, enjoy!

Last edited by bale002; 11-19-2014 at 03:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe