Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 03:49 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Turkey and Russia are hooliganism hotspots these days. Hooligan groups played also a big part on Maidan this winter. In the world, Brazil is probably the most hooligan prone nation, and sometimes they even fight to the death.

But on the other hand the atmosphere can be intoxicating. Persons who for example visit the Belgrade derby matches say that it's something you can't experience anywhere else.

Yup, but it's also a bit different from Eastern Europe. Swedish and Danish hooligans have a very strict codes and rules of engagement, while in the former commie nations it's just free for all to do anything you want.

Girls like it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZGU6XBbcE
When I see this, I'm glad I don't understand most sports' rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 06:06 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Its funny because I've often thought the opposite and wondered why Americans show no interest in sports, reading this I'm thinking its simply the fact that they have their own sports that are unknown outside the US, I couldnt name a single American football player yet they are undoubtably extremely popular in the States therefore I think there is a misconception here (probably works both ways) that Americans are not very 'sporty' just because they don't do football!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:00 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its funny because I've often thought the opposite and wondered why Americans show no interest in sports, reading this I'm thinking its simply the fact that they have their own sports that are unknown outside the US, I couldnt name a single American football player yet they are undoubtably extremely popular in the States therefore I think there is a misconception here (probably works both ways) that Americans are not very 'sporty' just because they don't do football!
This is a good point. There's American football, and also baseball, which is unique to the US, with a couple of exceptions, none of which are in Europe.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is a good point. There's American football, and also baseball, which is unique to the US, with a couple of exceptions, none of which are in Europe.
And knowing quite a few sports-obsessed Brits over here in Asia, they most just don't 'get' American Football. Too many rules, and RUGBY is way more crazier with similar roughness but WITHOUT pads! I think they look at our Football Pads, and it appears a bit pansy.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:05 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,583 times
in rugby you can only hit the guy with the ball. in football you can legally hit (block) anyone as long as they are facing towards you. this is a huge difference. ask that dude who Warren Sapp ended his career with a block. the other guy was hospitalized for four days. he didnt even have the ball. he wasnt even close to the ball.

there were so many deaths in football the us president is theone who mandated protective wear (How Teddy Roosevelt Saved Football)

check out Health issues in American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. kids are dying playing this sport.

rugby is just as tough as sandlot football but less so

Old 11-27-2014, 05:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
And knowing quite a few sports-obsessed Brits over here in Asia, they most just don't 'get' American Football. Too many rules, and RUGBY is way more crazier with similar roughness but WITHOUT pads! I think they look at our Football Pads, and it appears a bit pansy.
And I have heard U.S. football smirkingly referred to as "airball"...and the time-outs seem endless by the standards of football here.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I know this sounds ridiculous, but I find the sports culture in America and Europe to be the most shocking difference between America and Europe. Especially if you are a man in American, sports take up a huge portion of your free time and social life. IN college you have college basketball and football which is your life every Saturday. You have professional sports like NBA, NFL, and baseball that are all huge and constantly being watched and discussed. Not to mention the aggressive physical nature of the NBA and NFL. One huge thing for me was going out to bars in Europe and not seeing sportscenter on TV. All there is is soccer and rugby being shown on a boring news program. I can't imagine not having all these sports a part of my life and not going out to bars with my friends to watch football.
Soccer is to Europe as American football is to Americans.

Europe is a bunch of different countries. US is a single country.

Europeans live in cities. American live in cities and rural areas.

Europeans are homogenous. Americans are diverse.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:14 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,077,991 times
Europe is smaller, older, more densely populated so it can only be compared to some old cities in the east coast of the US.

Difference between western Europe and the US is as large as difference between NY and "middle America".

Old 11-27-2014, 09:53 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Europe is smaller, older, more densely populated so it can only be compared to some old cities in the east coast of the US.

Difference between western Europe and the US is as large as difference between NY and "middle America".
Lol those differences aren't large if we are talking about culture.

There is by far more cultural differences between European countries then there are cultural differences between American states.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
As expected, FC Copenhagen and their friendship club IFK Helsinki took a small battle against HJK Helsinki outside a HJK pub. Up to 100 people involved, but the riot police was quickly there. Rare in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe