Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,886,753 times

Advertisements

One big difference I found between American culture and some parts of Europe is that in the US, people do 1 big grocery shopping trip per week, and load up the car. Especially if they have a family. In some parts of Europe, people drop in more regularly to specialty shops for fresh produce, bread, and dairy. Even if they go to a co-op or supermarket, they go more often. And the result of that is that they have a friendly relationship with the shopowners. Maybe that's old-fashioned, and is dying out in Europe, but it hasn't existed in the US for over 100 years, except in rural areas.

Kind of one of those trivial things that can make a big difference in the quality of life. In some ways, life in the US is a lot more impersonal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 24,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
If you want to watch american sports and american sports news you should stay in America.
Why?

I watch all the college football, NFL, and ESPN right from where I live in Italy. Isn't a problem at all (other than perhaps the time difference).

Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,122,304 times
Only in USA, are college and university sports emphasized extremely. Universities recruit star athletes, and give them costly scholarships. Wealthy alumni donate more money to universities that have winning teams which give their State pride and prestige. College athletes tend to have their poor grades/ academic performance forgiven, in the interest of retaining them on the team. For example, the tycoon T. Boone Pickens gave $165 million to build deluxe sports facilities at Oklahoma State University.

The emphasis and following of university sports by millions of fans, seems unique to the USA.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 PM

102,410 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Only in USA, are college and university sports emphasized extremely. Universities recruit star athletes, and give them costly scholarships. Wealthy alumni donate more money to universities that have winning teams which give their State pride and prestige. College athletes tend to have their poor grades/ academic performance forgiven, in the interest of retaining them on the team. For example, the tycoon T. Boone Pickens gave $165 million to build deluxe sports facilities at Oklahoma State University.

The emphasis and following of university sports by millions of fans, seems unique to the USA.
I wonder how it compares with Canada?

Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,362,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I know this sounds ridiculous, but I find the sports culture in America and Europe to be the most shocking difference between America and Europe. Especially if you are a man in American, sports take up a huge portion of your free time and social life. IN college you have college basketball and football which is your life every Saturday. You have professional sports like NBA, NFL, and baseball that are all huge and constantly being watched and discussed. Not to mention the aggressive physical nature of the NBA and NFL. One huge thing for me was going out to bars in Europe and not seeing sportscenter on TV. All there is is soccer and rugby being shown on a boring news program. I can't imagine not having all these sports a part of my life and not going out to bars with my friends to watch football.
Actually that's one of the most annoying things I've noticed about Americans. But most Americans abroad aren't like that though.

However, I've noticed Brits are so extremely sports-obsessed (about sports that interest them - rugby, soccer (football), etc.). Even when living abroad, they are still obsessed about finding their games on tv's around the world.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,886,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
The shows with the highest weekly ratings are usually football every week. Everyone I know watches football.
That doesn't mean those spectators are college students. College sports are big with the general public and alums, in addition to a minority of college students, most of whom are in the fraternity and sorority scene. The viewership statistics, or stats about who attends the games, don't break the numbers down between students and non-students.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually that's one of the most annoying things I've noticed about Americans. But most Americans abroad aren't like that though.

However, I've noticed Brits are so extremely sports-obsessed (about sports that interest them - rugby, soccer (football), etc.). Even when living abroad, they are still obsessed about finding their games on tv's around the world.
I hope not! I once ran into a couple from Seattle out in the jungle in Guatemala, at an archaeology site, who had been on vacation 2 or 3 weeks, and were about to go home. They latched onto me desperately, asking who had one the latest game back home. I didn't even know which sport the team they were talking about was associated with, lol! That just seemed strangely narcissistic, to assume that everyone and anyone from your home town would share your same interests. I didn't know anyone in Seattle who was interested in team sports. For that matter, I don't know anyone anywhere in the US who's into that.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM

4,869 posts, read 10,572,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder how it compares with Canada?
It is not the same way in Canada. We do not have the same relationship to university sports as the US does, not even close. Usually Canadian society tends be located somewhere between Europe and the US, but I suspect in this particular regard we are not at all similar to the US. University sports are not televised, there's not real outside money involved, and for the most part they're little talked about. I've gone to two prominent, large Canadian universities and unless you had a special interest in a sport, generally most people on campus would have no idea how any of the varsity sports teams were doing in their season, nor will most ever have watched a game or a competition. I get the impression that the US is different, and I know little about university level athletics in Europe.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It is not the same way in Canada. We do not have the same relationship to university sports as the US does, not even close. Usually Canadian society tends be located somewhere between Europe and the US, but I suspect in this particular regard we are not at all similar to the US. University sports are not televised, there's not real outside money involved, and for the most part they're little talked about. I've gone to two prominent, large Canadian universities and unless you had a special interest in a sport, generally most people on campus would have no idea how any of the varsity sports teams were doing in their season, nor will most ever have watched a game or a competition. I get the impression that the US is different, and I know little about university level athletics in Europe.
Well, this was my experience at university, too. My friends were all oblivious to all of that. I agree with NewbiPoster, that it's a minority of students who care about varsity sports. But they may create the impression that they're a majority, because they're very vocal and enthusiastic. It's its own subculture on campus, in a way. And it's supported by a lot of enthusiasm from alums, from city residents who view the team/s as representing their city, so they're proud of the team, and even some highschool students follow the football games. So the overall numbers are many times greater than the number of fans among students on campus.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,453,680 times
All I can tell you is that when I lived on campus at Clemson University in South Carolina, the whole campus went just about crazy when there was a home game. It was like Mardi Gras every couple of weeks throughout football season!

It was fun though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe