Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,127,198 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Germany to be with my now ex wife I came over on a tourist visa and we found a small company where I could work on a 400 Euro basis and they signed the paperwork. I was not too hard to do but it helped having some connections. We got married a year and half later and after 3 years of marriage I recived permanent residence. If you really want it you will find a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 09:26 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,891,044 times
There's a lot of request of native speakers in italy.
In my university there also is a Californian native speaker( from Berkeley I believe) but he has married an Italian women (also an English teacher) so I don't know how this eased paperwork and bureaucracy.
As for what regards the demand of qualified English teachers, it's quite high.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:03 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
In general, it's nearly impossible to teach English in Europe as an American. The #1 reason is that the UK/Ireland are favored over Americans, as they are part of the European Union. They are favored because they can LEGALLY work there, without any issues whatsoever. To hire an American, means processing the paperwork that basically states that there is a reason that they need to hire you from outside of Europe.

That being said, some Americans with a lot of determination, really put in the footwork, and overcome that major hurdle. However, then comes ISSUE #2. They pay extremely low to teach English in Europe. Most people cannot afford to live in Europe long-term with such low salaries.

That being said, there is always someone who overcomes both issues, and makes it work in some way. But, those are the two MAJOR hurdles you are going to be faced with, immediately. It will take a lot of perseverance and determination to overcome both of those.
Yeah, I'm aware of the visa/work situation within the EU... The Spanish auxiliary program sounds like the best route, it's closer to Switzerland than I am now :

Consejerias Exteriores : Cultural Ambassadors: North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain

What about more Eastern countries like Hungary, Slovakia, or Romania? I know the money would be even less than the paltry salaries in Western Europe, and I know that several Eastern European countries are still in the EU, but are the issues still the same for an American?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,607,614 times
Is my only realistic option to just get hitched?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,349,659 times
So... what's with your degree in civil engineering? To me it seems more likely to get a job in that field than in teaching. Depending on your work experience so far, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe