Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Regarding Russia: "National unity", you say. "Strong leader". Traditional values. Think for a minute--where have we heard that combination before? Did you study World War II history in school? Does the name Adolph Hitler mean anything to you? There's a down side to the qualities you admire. All that unity can get a bit stifling.
National unity = everyone is against us
National unity2 = Putin jugend
Strong leader = Putler
traditional values = no homos, no Europe, no America, only POCCNR
Sheepish people = Russia
Brainwashed people = Russia
We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Russian Children = 14 Russian words

= his place

Old 12-02-2014, 12:36 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I was expecting you to remind me of those. And those spiky shoes as well. And the hair combed forward:

Western:
That's so... gay, Ariete.

Who wants to look like a "pretty boy?"

Quote:
Western 2:
It's called "полубокс" haircut - quite popular in Russia back in the 30ies-40ies ( don't have time now to look for pics,) but a lot of them were sporting it, particularly in the army.

As for "hair combed forward"- ever seen Beatles?

( Don't know about those "spiky shoes" though... )

Old 12-02-2014, 12:47 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That's so... gay, Ariete.

Who wants to look like a "pretty boy?"

It's called "полубокс" haircut - quite popular in Russia back in the 30ies-40ies ( don't have time now to look for pics,) but a lot of them were sporting it, particularly in the army.

As for "hair combed forward"- ever seen Beatles?

( Don't know about those "spiky shoes" though... )
That's my point. The pretty boy and the 40's hair came back into fashion here, while in Russia it didn't. If I would meet him on the street in St. Pete I would talk Finnish:

Old 12-02-2014, 12:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
OK, learn it and do it.

i didn't read your long post but why not?

though: russian will be challenge for non-cyrllic user and also it's not my favorite slavic language but it's your choice .

Old 12-02-2014, 01:29 PM

43 posts, read 71,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
So... What actual skills do you have to offer besides having religious beliefs and traditional values?
Translation and construction skills and a whole life's worth of agricultural experience

Old 12-02-2014, 01:40 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,454 times
Yes, go there and get a reality check
You're still so young so it's the time to make stupid choices, shouldn't skip on them

Old 12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you're overreacting. Where have you been in the US that you felt was too non-traditional for your taste? You can try the South and Mid-West, but I recall from another thread of yours that you want less severe weather (heat/cold). You've targeted the Pacific Northwest as having the kind of weather you want. There are communities in Washington and Oregon that are more traditional and church-going. Re-launch a thread on those state forums to explore the possibilities.

Regarding Russia: "National unity", you say. "Strong leader". Traditional values. Think for a minute--where have we heard that combination before? Did you study World War II history in school? Does the name Adolph Hitler mean anything to you? There's a down side to the qualities you admire. All that unity can get a bit stifling.

As for practicalities, on the one hand, you have nothing to offer Russia. From the "West" they seem to only be taking people like Gerard Depardieu, who can throw money into the economy. On the other hand, Russia has a history of taking in southern Africans who had to abandon ship and look for a new home. Australia was another favorite destination. So I don't know how you'd get a seat on that bandwagon, but who knows? It might be worth a try. Still, Russia is a highly educated society, and you don't have a university education. Could be an obstacle. Find a Russian consulate (San Francisco, Seattle, LA, if you're on the West Coast) and try to inquire, if you really want to explore this. Don't be surprised if they're rude, or if they laugh at you.

As for the language, you seem to be quite good at languages. Russian is challenging, but if you put your mind to it, you could pull it off. Even so, it seems like there are some loose ends in your case that might not work out for Russia. Keep exploring your options in the US. Try Idaho, as well, for traditional communities.
I'm from Selukwe, Zimbabwe and in 2000 we moved to Kenya, I know about WWII and Adolf Hitler. I went to boarding school in post-94 South Africa so I know all about the Nazi party and the war. Putin isn't killing ethnic minorities unless you count Chechen terrorists.
I am in NY so I am sure there is a consulate here. I'll be honest, most of my countrymen go to England or Australia. However I was raised very devout and unlike my co-nationals I don't wish abandon that and party in Perth. I realized America had people of black descent and homosexuals etc. but I thought by and large most people were disapproving and this country was socially segregated. I saw US politicians like Mrs. Bachmann and Mr. Romney and I thought that is how Americans think mostly.

I am unhappy here, I can teach english, I can farm, I have significant USD savings to pay for studies if need be. If Mr. Putin is economically similar to Mr. Hitler than the Russian economy wouldn't be so bad because Nazi economics were about the only thing that worked.

About the USA, I dislike how integrated it is colour wise, I dislike how most people aren't religious, how half naked women, homosexuals, and marijuana are not looked down upon. How if I want to live I a conservative community without ethnic minorities that DOMINATE the population and that don't have "gay pride" I have to live in the middle of nowhere. Women here act like men, I'm Anglican and the closest version here is Episcopal and they have female bishops..

Old 12-02-2014, 01:45 PM

I thought this was one nation under god, an outside of Manhattan and Hollywood and San Francisco that people were mostly white, Christian, traditional people.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jza1993 View Post
I am unhappy here, I can teach english, I can farm, I have significant USD savings to pay for studies if need be.
Only the latter will get you a visa. Thing is, though, that the vast majority of programs will require you to read, speak and write Russian on an academic level.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Only the latter will get you a visa. Thing is, though, that the vast majority of programs will require you to read, speak and write Russian on an academic level.
Well I could attend a program to learn Russian. Are you speaking factually because I see many ads for English teachers needed in Moscow. St. Petersburg. Ekaterinburg, Rostov and Vladivostok and since Russia isn't in the EU I'm assuming they can give anyone English speaking a visa if applied. There is heavy anti-Russian sentiment on this board for some reason even comparing their leader to Hitler (who was an economic genius whose downfall was his anti-semitism..)

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-02-2014 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe