Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 PM

62 posts, read 145,026 times

Advertisements

I haven't known anyone who has been to Serbia. I've always had a deep interest in what the social scene, nightlife, people and culture are like.

Can anyone here pass along some knowledge? Any input on Serbia would be most appreciated and interesting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,031,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
I haven't known anyone who has been to Serbia. I've always had a deep interest in what the social scene, nightlife, people and culture are like.

Can anyone here pass along some knowledge? Any input on Serbia would be most appreciated and interesting!
I've been to Serbia (Beograd) as it borders my country. Basically, it's somewhat similar to romania, macedonia, bulgaria and croatia (if any of these make sense to you).

goran bregovic, underground kucek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HurHtBAydHQ

Old 12-19-2014, 11:24 PM

62 posts, read 145,026 times
Would you consider Russian culture to be more influential or Arabic?

Old 12-20-2014, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetuser View Post
Would you consider Russian culture to be more influential or Arabic?
why would any of it be more 'influential'? The russians took huge parts of their culture from other eastern european states and not vice versa:

russian writing: from bulgaria
russian orthodox church: from greece
russian architecture: from ukraine

The music may sound "arabic" to you but it's not arabic - it's rather turkish, aka "ottoman". Or if it's not than it's just Serbian. Serbia is south enough to have sounds similar to Oriental, there is no reason to assume anything Arabic over there considering it's never been part of arabic conquests - unlike Spain, nor it's close to the arabian peninsula.

Someone from Serbia should give better input than me, but i am sure they'd agree with most of what i am syaing...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:43 PM

109 posts, read 235,919 times
Serbian women are nice looking. Men are quite manly.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,250,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
russian architecture: from ukraine
Ukraine? May be from Kievan Rus? But Kievan Rus - a state of Rurik's. But Rurik's came from Great Novgorod (from Russia). And Muscovy - it is also the state Rurik's. Why do you write "from the Ukraine"? What is Ukraine?

Old 12-21-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Ukraine? May be from Kievan Rus? But Kievan Rus - a state of Rurik's. But Rurik's came from Great Novgorod (from Russia). And Muscovy - it is also the state Rurik's. Why do you write "from the Ukraine"? What is Ukraine?
all i know is it's still debatable whether kievan rus' was russian, ukrainian or belarusian. But since it has "kiev" in its name ??

I am not sure again but even if that's not true the original land of the slavs seems to be ukraine as well:

"The location of the Slavic homeland has been the subject of significant debate. The Prague-Penkov-Kolochin complex of cultures of the 6th to 7th centuries AD are generally accepted to reflect the expansion of Slavic-speakers at that time.[76] Serious candidates for the core from which they expanded are cultures within the territories of modern Belarus, Poland, and Ukraine. "

Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 AM

827 posts, read 633,172 times
I don't know a lot about Serbia. What i heard, i deeply advice you to stay in Beograd and not visit the countryside. Some place can be very dangerous and a lot of people are still in "war mode".

Old 12-21-2014, 02:35 PM

319 posts, read 395,741 times
Serbia is very pretty! Belgrade might be my least favourite city in the country. There is certainly more to see and do there, and it is a cozy place, but I don't find it more appealing than the other cities in the country. "Novi Sad" in the northern part is definitely prettier.

Generally I don't think there is a lot to see as far as tourist attractions go, but most places just look lovely. All the cities I've been to have large pedestrian areas, many neo-renaissance style buildings and tree lined streets. It probably gets quite gloomy in the winter, but during the summer time it is very green.

People and food are great! If I were to move to Serbia I certainly would gain a lot of weight . I wonder how they stay thin after eating all those baked goods and there are kebab shops on every corner.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,541,840 times
I'll be in Belgrade and Kosovo in 1.5 weeks given some rather unexpected turn of events. I've been doing a lot of snooping around and it seems like maybe it's not the prettiest country, but nightlife is apparently quite good, and for a travel destination it is quite affordable; especially in the winter. I'm finding 7 Euro dorm rooms and also cheap private rooms. Seems like it's starting to open up a little bit more too. I saw it appear in some Lonely Planet lists recently.

I'm excited to eat kajmak on things again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe