Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which large German speaking country do you prefer overall?
Switzerland (Schweiz) 13 19.70%
Austria (Österreich) 19 28.79%
Germany (Deutschland) 34 51.52%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 04:21 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
Oh god I can't stand it! It sounds like they are chocking on something from the back of their throat when they say "ch" noises. Very harsh sounding language. I hate it so much that whenever i'm on the train I always put my headphones in so I can't hear it. Worst sounding language in the world IMO.

Lol german speakers closed minded to other dialects including swiss german? hahaha. You obviously haven't been around the swiss for long enough. The swiss are much worse, they don't even like people from other cantons with different dialects! Don't even get me started on high german, most of them hate it and some even refuse to speak it! Most Swiss even say that they can't speak very well in high german, yet they read and write in high german! WTF?
I have Swiss friends who make fun of Swiss German. If you're a farmer, then sure, it's what you've grown up with. But city businessmen, doctors, professors? High German, all the way.

If you want "harsh", listen to Dutch. Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I have Swiss friends who make fun of Swiss German. If you're a farmer, then sure, it's what you've grown up with. But city businessmen, doctors, professors? High German, all the way.

Not true in Switzerland. Sorry. I was a partner in one of the biggest Treuhands in Switzerland and Swiss German was what they spoke. I was in Geneva and we spoke French amongst ourselves but in Zurich and Basel they spoke dialect. So did our clients with the exception of the big multi-nationals where English was the internal rule.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Not true in Switzerland. Sorry. I was a partner in one of the biggest Treuhands in Switzerland and Swiss German was what they spoke. I was in Geneva and we spoke French amongst ourselves but in Zurich and Basel they spoke dialect. So did our clients with the exception of the big multi-nationals where English was the internal rule.
That's interesting. My Swiss (Swiss-German) friends make fun of Swiss German. They consider it to be cowherd dialect. Oh well.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Quote:
That's interesting. My Swiss (Swiss-German) friends make fun of Swiss German. They consider it to be cowherd dialect. Oh well.
Well, there is Swiss German and then there is Swiss German. Their sub-dialects and -accents are also very varied. Something that many Germans and non-native speakers seem to forget.

Generally speaking, mild dialects and accents are accepted in Swiss and Austrian business situations. Be it Alemannic or Bavarian. IMO only Germans are really anal about dialects in general and are drilled to only understand what they hear on TV.

Quote:
Tyrolean and Alemannic dialects sound way harsher to my ear. Not particularly unpleasant, though.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM

256 posts, read 311,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bizarro View Post
Tourists in Europe eat junk food most of the time. Pizza and Spaghetti are junk food, except in perhaps 20 trattorias that have the cultural exception. Burguers? Everywhere. 50 cents burguer? I wouldn't eat that..
It was in McDonalds.

Please, don't refer to pizza as junk food. Pizza is art!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 PM

256 posts, read 311,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, there is Swiss German and then there is Swiss German. Their sub-dialects and -accents are also very varied. Something that many Germans and non-native speakers seem to forget.

Generally speaking, mild dialects and accents are accepted in Swiss and Austrian business situations. Be it Alemannic or Bavarian. IMO only Germans are really anal about dialects in general and are drilled to only understand what they hear on TV.

Tyrolean and Alemannic dialects sound way harsher to my ear. Not particularly unpleasant, though.

What about Steierisch Dialekt? We learned Hoch Deutsch, but there are so many dialects in Germany and Austria, sometimes I feel they don't understand each other, if they are not familiar with particular dialect.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
No way, the Swiss are the red bull and cigarette smoking champions of the world! A traditional Swiss breakfast is a can of redbull and a few cigarettes... ideally consumed while at the train station and blowing the smoke from your cigarettes onto everyone else. That's how the swiss do breakfast!
Regardless of who drinks more, Fuschl (where Red Bull is headquartered) is alongside a lake in Austria.

As dialects go: I've learned Hochdeutsch (standard/high German) for the past 12 years. Swiss German is entirely incomprehensible. Oddly enough, I have the easiest time understanding the Bavarian dialect (supposedly Hochdeutsch is most similar to the dialect in the East, what you might hear in Essen or Cologne). Berliners, and the rest of the north (Plattdeutsch, or "lower German") sounds harsh, and is difficult for me to understand. I can understand Austrians, up until they use Austrian-only words. How in the world is a Potato an "Earth Apple"? Guess I'll have to learn if I get accepted to Uni Salzburg.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:07 AM

73 posts, read 156,330 times
Quote:
What about the women? Switzerland has women, you know.
Actually there are more women who smoke than men in Switzerland, especially young women.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 AM

73 posts, read 156,330 times
Quote:

Incorrect. Even in Zurich the Swiss speak Swiss german. You will never hear a Swiss speak High German unless they are absolutely forced to (probably with a gun to their head). The Swiss hate the germans and anything to do with them, including high german.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Regardless of who drinks more, Fuschl (where Red Bull is headquartered) is alongside a lake in Austria.

As dialects go: I've learned Hochdeutsch (standard/high German) for the past 12 years. Swiss German is entirely incomprehensible. Oddly enough, I have the easiest time understanding the Bavarian dialect (supposedly Hochdeutsch is most similar to the dialect in the East, what you might hear in Essen or Cologne). Berliners, and the rest of the north (Plattdeutsch, or "lower German") sounds harsh, and is difficult for me to understand. I can understand Austrians, up until they use Austrian-only words. How in the world is a Potato an "Earth Apple"? Guess I'll have to learn if I get accepted to Uni Salzburg.
Not to worry... English is conquering the world and especially in Europe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe