Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:17 AM

10,098 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
It's funny how people think spain and latin america are connected

I am from latin america and most people in my country know very little about spain, other than conquistadors and flamenco and stereotypes like that, other than this the average person doesnt really think of spain much.

I am sure in spain is the same way
Not thinking about it doesn't mean there aren't much connections between Spain and Latin America. Most of the cultural influence in Latin America is of Spanish origin, most of the people also have Spanish origin (they are usually mixed with Indian or African, but the Spanish blood is significant) among many other things.

Its usually racist people that say LA and Spain have nothing in common (in countries like Argentina there is an attempt to distance themselves from the rest of Latin America simply because Argentinians tend to think of themselves as superior to the rest for being white -they desperately want to believe that many of the mixed Latin Americans are not truly mixed with Spanish because that would mean that many of the non-white Latin Americans are actual cousins of the Argentinians due to the Spanish genetic connection, its quite hilarious to the extent some pale people will go to distant themselves from the darker folks-, while in some of the non-white Latin American countries there is some resentment towards the Spanish created mostly by left leaning teachers in the schools that causes many people to even deny they have Spanish blood as often happens in Colombia.)

Recently a Colombian in City-Data (I think it was you actually, lol) went as far as to say that the blonde hair and blue eyes of many of his family members originates in Colombia, that his family doesn't have a drop of Spanish or European blood. Its ridiculous to the length in self-deception that some Latin Americans are willing to go in their attempt to deny reality. I guess the Amerindians of Colombia are somehow have blonde hair and blue eyes, the only Amerindians of unmixed blood with those features. Ha ha ha, hilarious!

Fact is that most of lets say Colombian cultures is Spanish.

When I have the time I will list most of the Spanish culture that is present in most Latin American countries because its not just language. I do find it funny when people say that the only thing in common is just the language, not only because there is much much more that LA and Spain all have in common, but language is the most fundamental aspect in the identity of human societies, it shapes people's view of the world in ways that nothing else can do.

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-12-2015 at 10:29 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 10:51 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
lol, now i understand, you were correcting someone that related messi to spain, you werent saying it

and its funny how people from other places connects spain and latin america when in reality theres not much in common except for language. well, that goes for the latin american countries between themselves too

There's a lot of common, maybe there's more in common between Latin America and Spain than between modern day Spain and Spain.

Countries more resemblant to Spain, by far, are Cuba and Mexico. In the case of Cuba, the last important possesion until 1898.

Messi is Catalan.

All that race b.s, those are American idiocies, in a way they live in the past because North America is or soon will be Latin or Hispanic America.

Last edited by Miserere; 02-12-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-12-2015, 02:40 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,875 times
AntonioR where are you from? and Miserere?

It's interesting because in Colombia people truly don't care about spain, they're just foreign to us sort of like a norwegian is foreigner!

its interesting people associate us with spain, other than the language we have nothing in common.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Miserere is from Spain.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:39 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Miserere is from Spain.
Miserere is a cuban living in Sitges Spain but he won't admit that.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Additionally the country has a reputation of being overrun by pickpockets. But I've never been there so these are distant impressions.
Barcelona in The Rambla area had a lot of pickpockets. Hardly saw them anywhere else though. They target the heavily touristed areas, not everywhere throughout the country.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:54 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Most of the cultural influence in Latin America is of Spanish origin, most of the people also have Spanish origin (they are usually mixed with Indian or African, but the Spanish blood is significant) among many other things.
In my perception - a year in South America, and six months in Spain. I think the Spanish influences is quite evident in Latin America.

Spain itself felt like such a different kettle of fish. I was quite surprised how LITTLE of Latin America I felt in Spain. Spain seemed way more European in every conceivable way.

I.E. Latin America, it felt like DANCE permeated everything, and women highly valued looking extremely sexy and attractive, to the point that they'd take a lot of time preparing themselves to just leave the house. Machisimo culture was strong and evident throughout Latin America as well.

Whereas in Spain, those values didn't seem to exist very strongly at all. I found the women in Spain to look more 'average', and just not so dressed up at all, comparitively speaking. Nor did you feel that male-dominated machisimo culture feel that you'd get in Latin America. Spain felt absent of that. Most people in Spain looked very European, pale skin, many light complected, etc.

In short, I could see/feel Spanish influences throughout Latin America. But I couldn't feel Latin American vibes/feelings at all in Spain.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:54 AM

The values are the same, but there's a lack of synchronism, some values and costums were prevalent in Spain 40 or 50 years, some 100 years, some 200 years, in certain way, visiting Latin America is just like visiting the past. In other matters, and due to American influence, there are aspects that are different, even more advanced.

But the big "europeization" wave of the past is over, and Spain is retaking their values as thre's certain disaffection against Europe, so there might by some synchonization in the coming future.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:44 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post

Messi is Catalan.

LOL, is that your wish?

yeah, he is catalan, thats why he got to the final of the world cup and got awarded the best player of the tournament award with a total different country. Also been playing, winning tournaments and breaking records with that other country for more than 10 years now.

Spain even asked Messi yeeeears ago, before he even got called to play the sub 17, if he wanted to be nationalized spanish and play for the country. But he declined and choses his real country instead. Thank god

Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Well, I don't care, I abhor football.
For me, football is inversely proportional to civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe