Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:15 PM

256 posts, read 312,620 times

Advertisements

Europeans like chocolate, too. However, peanut butter is not common in Europe like it is in USA.
Typical american cakes are, I have to say, awful! If you want good pastry and cakes, go to french bakery or any european, the quality is on higher level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 PM

194 posts, read 424,235 times
Personally I find the desserts in North America, both USA and Canada, to be sweeter and heavier than the desserts from Europe. Not a lot of choices mostly pies, muffins, banana breads. Same for chocolate and ice cream.
Funny enough speaking of North America I was surprised to find the desserts in Mexico much better than in USA. More refined, lighter, freher, way more variety even in a regular supermarket like a Mexican Walmart or Mega.
It is too true that you can find some small, good bakeries in every American town but they are few and far between and a lot of them are ethnic bakeries (Italian, French, Polish, German).

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,285,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Once again Europe is not one country, one cilture, etc. The taste is cultural, but there are 27 different cultures in Europe. To a french point of view american taste is quite similar to british/northern European one rather than ours.
Exactly! Which is what makes answering this question nearly impossible.

To me, as a person who DOES NOT like heavy desserts at all, and I'm American, I associate them with 'Middle America', where obesity and 'treats' and a dessert after a meal, seems to be more commonplace. On the U.S. coasts, it's almost unheard of to eat a large dessert after a large meal. So, the U.S. already can't be lumped into one category based on that.

Than Europe, with all the many cultures, it's impossible. I do recall going to parts of Europe, and seeing these heavy meals and heavy desserts, and it made me think that maybe the heartland of the U.S., perhaps developed those habits from their European descendants.

But, all I can really say is that both the U.S. and Europe have parts to them, that do prefer different desserts and some are heavy and some are light.

For me, I can't stand 99% of the heavy desserts, and I don't understand the attraction to them. I don't like the whole routine or dessert culture. I just associate with obesity or the roots of obesity, to have such habits.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,217,389 times
I've had plain, hearty desserts in both Europe and the US, and I've had complex, unique desserts in both Europe and the US.

I live in a midsize US city and we have at least six local bakeries that sell absolutely delicious desserts, including cream and custard and berry based desserts.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,550,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I have come to the following very general conclusion regarding desserts such as pies, cakes and ice cream:

North Americans prefer earthy, heavy and/or monochromatic flavors, such as peanut butter, fudge, chocolate, vanilla, cookie dough, etc. Most recipes are simple and with few ingredients.

Europeans prefer lighter, fruitier and/or more complex flavors, including rose, raspberry, strawberry, walnut and hazelnut, often with the addition of liqueurs. In addition, there is far greater diversity in flavors, tastes and textures from region to region. Most recipes are fairly complex.

I'm trying to figure out why this is the case, if true. Climatic differences?
I see no link what so ever to the continent a person was born on and how they like their dessert.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:42 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,943,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I see no link what so ever to the continent a person was born on and how they like their dessert.

You obviously haven't traveled anywhere if you think the food habits of an average Chinese person, the average Indian person, the average Nigerian person, the average Peruvian person, the average American or the average German, among others, are not influenced by where they were born. Do you seriously think everyone around the world eats the same food? Have you been anywhere outside Minnesota.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:09 AM

24,779 posts, read 11,140,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Americans have much less variety, bulkier rations and far more industrialised..plus awfully fattening. In Europe, evey town has a different speciality, while in the US you always have the same pies, no matter the varieties, "danish", fattening industrialised cakes.

Unfortunately, large supermarkets and hypermarkets sell just the same stuff.
And that is different in the land of supermarket discounters aka. Germany?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,434,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Americans have much less variety, bulkier rations and far more industrialised..plus awfully fattening. In Europe, evey town has a different speciality, while in the US you always have the same pies, no matter the varieties, "danish", fattening industrialised cakes.

Unfortunately, large supermarkets and hypermarkets sell just the same stuff.
The variety and tradition in American foods is largely in the home. The deserts and foods I just ate in my househod over the Christmas holiday were very different from that of my neighbors who have different ethnic backgorounds. I can assure you there were plenty of Lingonberries and cloudberries with cream at my house while I doubt my Dominican neighbors had much in the way of berries at all, but probably some tropical fruits for their desert.

Of course when Americans try to discuss these differences, some posters on city-data like to accuse Americans of being obsessed with their ethnic heritage and urge them to just go eat a pile of homogeneous, caloric, industrial slop like any proper non-European American should, and stop putting on airs.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,550,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
You obviously haven't traveled anywhere if you think the food habits of an average Chinese person, the average Indian person, the average Nigerian person, the average Peruvian person, the average American or the average German, among others, are not influenced by where they were born. Do you seriously think everyone around the world eats the same food? Have you been anywhere outside Minnesota.
Literally never used those words in my post lol.

I think people all like their desserts in a different way and there is no way to tell what a whole nationality likes.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,526,676 times
IMO people tend to eat foods that are widely available in their geographical locations. How many apple orchards are there in Europe? How many peanut farms? I haven't looked it up, but I am guessing a lot less than in many parts of the US.

My parents were raised by European parents and have had a heavy influence of jams/jellies and lots of fresh produce in general. Much more so than any of my friends had, including my husband;s family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe