Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:36 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,378,614 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that even if I were a billionaire, staying in luxury hotels and using private jets, I would find that itinerary exhausting.

As others have said here, if art and religious sites are not of interest, stay out of the big cities like Florence and Rome. Do go to Venice as it is magical and is slowly disappearing. Even with that, 24-36 hours should be plenty of time there. Not sure what there is in Verona to see.

Skip Aix and go to Avignon and/or Arles.

But seriously, cut that stops in half, slow down and enjoy yourself. It will all still be waiting for you in a few years when you can afford to go again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 02:39 PM

102,408 posts, read 108,764,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I just want to say that even if I were a billionaire, staying in luxury hotels and using private jets, I would find that itinerary exhausting.

As others have said here, if art and religious sites are not of interest, stay out of the big cities like Florence and Rome. Do go to Venice as it is magical and is slowly disappearing. Even with that, 24-36 hours should be plenty of time there. Not sure what there is in Verona to see.

Skip Aix and go to Avignon and/or Arles.

But seriously, cut that stops in half, slow down and enjoy yourself. It will all still be waiting for you in a few years when you can afford to go again.
The itinerary sounds like they took all the recommendations given them by older relatives and friends, and jumbled them all together into one trip, whether they fit the OP & gf's interests or not.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:44 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,378,614 times
Oh, and I forgot to mention something about Lyon. We are only there for 24 hours and it was at the end of our trip, but there was something that really creeped me out about that city. Can't put my finger on it, but the words "Germanic" and "Nazi" come faintly through. Make sure there is really something there you want to see/experience. To me it just felt like a jumping off place to get to somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 PM

587 posts, read 920,274 times
I agree that your itinerary seems odd if you aren't into art. What are you going to do in Florence for four days?

I've done a few extended trips to Europe and find that I prefer to just make it up as I go along. You'll find that some places speak to you more than others. The Eurail pass never really seemed worth it to me - some towns might get one expensive train per day but have a cheap bus that leaves every hour. Southern Spain is great for live music. Ronda might be fun - it's a tourist town, but the scenery is great and there are some nice day hikes.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention something about Lyon. We are only there for 24 hours and it was at the end of our trip, but there was something that really creeped me out about that city. Can't put my finger on it, but the words "Germanic" and "Nazi" come faintly through. Make sure there is really something there you want to see/experience. To me it just felt like a jumping off place to get to somewhere else.
The city is known for its historical and architectural landmarks and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Lyon was historically known as an important area for the production and weaving of silk and in modern times has developed a reputation as the capital of gastronomy in France and in the world.

If they're foodies, Lyon might be worth it. HQ of Interpol. France's 2nd largest metro area after Paris. A center for France's tech industry, specializing in video games.

There are so many other places more worth a visit, IMO. The "real" Europe tends to be more in the small towns.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:08 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,929,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "real" Europe tends to be more in the small towns.
NO. Definitely not. The Real Europe is in capitals and major cities, the small towns are just filled with provincial hicks and it smells like horseshit there.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
NO. Definitely not. The Real Europe is in capitals and major cities, the small towns are just filled with provincial hicks and it smells like horseshit there.
We need a thread on this topic. Or has it already been done?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 12,644 times
6.000 each? Forget backpacks, that's quite sad, not in fashion...avoid hostels, with that money you don't need hostels and you can eat food.

Why Austria and Czech Republic? Shorten your countries, Italy, France, Portugal, hire a cheap car and get lost until you run out of money, avoid cities and you'll know the place. Avoid tourists.

Touristy places are crappy.

Hostels are in touristy places and are depressing, with that kind of money you have other options.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,495,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bizarro View Post
6.000 each? Forget backpacks, that's quite sad, not in fashion...avoid hostels, with that money you don't need hostels and you can eat food.

Why Austria and Czech Republic? Shorten your countries, Italy, France, Portugal, hire a cheap car and get lost until you run out of money, avoid cities and you'll know the place. Avoid tourists.

Touristy places are crappy.

Hostels are in touristy places and are depressing, with that kind of money you have other options.
Why would they want to do only southern countries? What kind of a eurotrip would that be?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:49 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,578,738 times
Make a list of destinations and leave open the plan of the itinerary. Your evaluations about how much you'll need to stay in a city or other won't match the reality. Also, you will find some countries or places more boring than you expected and others more interesting than you thought. It always happens like this. Even world top touristic destinations may be surprisingly boring, while some places you never heard about will be very charming.

I don't know your type of personality. During trips, I barely can spend more than one day in a city. But most other people are not like me.

I also consider that the countryside is more interesting than the cities. Why hurrying to arrive to a certain city (except if you have some transport connection) instead of trying to assimilate what rural / natural areas offer? It makes no sense IMO. In Italy, e.g., where every town and village is a different type of gem, is absurd to want to arrive to Venice or other boring, shallow tourist filled. Also, with the money you sleep in a city at hostel you can sleep in rural area at a decent pension.

Also, though I know you won't do this (but maybe my advice will be useful for further occasions) I recommend you to visit the Balkans, the oldest and most charming part of Europe. You would learn more from this part of the continent than from Central and Western Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe