Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 04:34 PM

148 posts, read 419,002 times

Advertisements

I just wondered how many of you have been to Scotland on vacation, was it a good or bad experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Been there three times, and loved 'em all. The Scottish are very friendly.
The country is breathtakingly beautiful.
The most recent visit was in '99.
Loved the harbor town of Plockton on the west coast.
Probably my most favorite event was Hogmanay way back in '75, but I very much enjoyed the Fringe Festival stuff we saw in '99.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:07 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,238 times
Yes I've been there about 20 years ago. We took a tour of England, Scotland and Wales. I enjoyed it and my husband liked it a lot. He has ancestors that come from Scotland.

I understand it's become a bit more crowded now with some illegal aliens. At the time we were there it was not so crowded,and we were able to walk around cities safely. Oh but the countryside was the best! Lockness was a fun place to stop and hike around.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Been there three times, and loved 'em all. The Scottish are very friendly.
The country is breathtakingly beautiful.
The most recent visit was in '99.
Loved the harbor town of Plockton on the west coast.
Probably my most favorite event was Hogmanay way back in '75, but I very much enjoyed the Fringe Festival stuff we saw in '99.
I was at Hogmanay 2005 in Glasgow it was amazing. Plockton is beautiful

Old 11-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
Yes I've been there about 20 years ago. We took a tour of England, Scotland and Wales. I enjoyed it and my husband liked it a lot. He has ancestors that come from Scotland.

I understand it's become a bit more crowded now with some illegal aliens. At the time we were there it was not so crowded,and we were able to walk around cities safely. Oh but the countryside was the best! Lockness was a fun place to stop and hike around.
Not a lot of illegal aliens although we have a lot of legal aliens since so many countries have joined the EEC

Old 11-04-2006, 05:41 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,984,220 times
I crossed Ireland from Shannon to Dublin over a week one year. Drove at my leisure and stopped to stay in a castle, went to Cashel Rock, Cork, Waterford, Killarney...one of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. I've also spent time in England and seen most of the tourist attractions, as well as spent time in the country. I've not been to Scotland yet. I always seem to end up in Germany and France, but sometime I'll get up there. I'm just a bit wary as I've heard a lot of people get attacked on the streets in both England and Scotland. I don't want to get mugged or robbed and knifed when trying to have a good time. I go to Germany and France by myself. But if I go back to Britain, I'd like to have people with me for safety so I can relax a bit and enjoy myself.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:04 PM

753 posts, read 758,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahpsuth View Post
Not a lot of illegal aliens although we have a lot of legal aliens since so many countries have joined the EEC
Hi,

But you know, I think the Polish newcomers are a thousandfold better equipped to integrate than the Mexicans/Guatemalans/others that are pouring in to the States. Just my opinion.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I crossed Ireland from Shannon to Dublin over a week one year. Drove at my leisure and stopped to stay in a castle, went to Cashel Rock, Cork, Waterford, Killarney...one of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen. I've also spent time in England and seen most of the tourist attractions, as well as spent time in the country. I've not been to Scotland yet. I always seem to end up in Germany and France, but sometime I'll get up there. I'm just a bit wary as I've heard a lot of people get attacked on the streets in both England and Scotland. I don't want to get mugged or robbed and knifed when trying to have a good time. I go to Germany and France by myself. But if I go back to Britain, I'd like to have people with me for safety so I can relax a bit and enjoy myself.
Like any city you visit there are good areas and bad areas but these are not usually tourist areas. I think it was last year that Glasgow was the murder(homicide) capital of Europe, but no one mentioned that it was due to drug dealers killing drug dealers, these are not the people you or I normally meet
As for England probably the same don't know have not been there much

Old 11-04-2006, 06:08 PM

753 posts, read 758,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Getting attacked and knifed in Scotland? Where were you vacationing, in Leith?

As a rule if you don't spend your time wandering around past midnight and shouting insults at the lager-swilling wideboys (or as they are affectionately called here, Neds) you generally can expect a visit without mishap.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:20 PM

I have new neighbours above me,a young couple, Polish, very quiet and very very polite unlike the locals (neds) -see FistFighting hairdresser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe