Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM

73,124 posts, read 62,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I have read some of your posts. I find that individuals from European countries based on what I have read on this forum are more intolerant of the idea of having a mixed society or a society with the Indigenous Europeans being the minority population as compared to the United States.

If I describe my ancestry I primarily state I'm Portuguese rather than White because I find that very generic but I also strongly identify with being culturally American. I am basically a cultural mix of the two Portuguese/American but not an exact fit in either category.

Illegal immigration does concern me in the US but it is a fact that isn't going to go away unless a 2,000 mile (3,100 km) wall is built with barbed wire and armed guards posted along the Mexico-United States border. Many of the individuals crossing it are willing to risks their lives for a better future currently. It also does concern me that the criminal element and the drug cartel is also crossing the border.

Some people on this forum have expressed concern about White's becoming a minority in the United States. At the turn of the last century it was the large numbers of uneducated Eastern and Southern Europeans that were a major concern. Hence the immigration act of 1924 was passed to slow down the undesirables from coming. Currently non-white immigrants arriving are considered the undesirable group by some in the US in large numbers.

https://history.state.gov/milestones...mmigration-act
Maybe on this forum. I've gotten into alot of heated arguments on the threads here. One thing about the USA is that it has been in constant change.

Ancestry and race are definitely two different concepts. According to the census, you would be considered White. However, White could mean anyone from Portugal to the Middle East. Identifying as a particular race, at least in the USA, has always been about "us vs them".

Illegal immigration should be a concern because there are those breaking the law. And the drug cartels crossing the border would definitely concern me as well. It isn't doing any good for anyone. As for why nothing is being done about it, by either part, it leaves alot to think about. However, I do not like when people trying to make it a race issue.

There is something more I want to add, in addition to what you said about immigration in the early 20th century. There are groups that today in the USA, are considered White. However, a long time ago, they would not have been considered White. This is one way race and ethnicity have been used in a confusing way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:01 PM

90 posts, read 111,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampdown69 View Post
I am not saying it will, and I am not trying to stir a debate on whether it will or won't. I'm asking how do you feel about it?

It is common knowledge that European birth rates are way below replacement level. To solve this problem European governments are importing immigrants. Some (most?) of which are of a radically different cultural and ethnic background than indigenous Europeans. However, logic dictates that if one group is aging and not reproducing enough to sustain its population size, and another new group is both coming in large numbers and reproducing at high levels that eventually you will hit a point where the new group is bigger than the old one.

Again, I don't want to discuss if this will happen or not. There are many variables at play and a million things could happen between then and now. Also that topic is just going to get accusations of paranoia and racism thrown around because such is the world we live in.

I'm asking, how would you feel it for instance people of North African heritage became the largest group in France, or South Asians in Britain, or Arabs in Sweden? Would you be okay with this? Would you not be okay with this? Why or why not? How do you think the population at large would feel about this? What do you think would change about your country?

I am curious to see your answers.
well why bring up sweden. 5% of sweden is non euro and hopefully the number in Europe decreases to zero because people should stick to their country of origin unless you are looking to find new lands and create democracy and bring so called savages to the civilized world like in the new world.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM

121 posts, read 180,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveledtheworld View Post
well why bring up sweden. 5% of sweden is non euro and hopefully the number in Europe decreases to zero because people should stick to their country of origin unless you are looking to find new lands and create democracy and bring so called savages to the civilized world like in the new world.
I actually wish I lived at the time of British Raj... India was full of adorable white Brit/dutch/french men!!! It must have been an exciting time for Indian women<3

I'm pakistani btw

Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In the USA, that has already happened. Most of the indigenous people have been subjected to all kinds of death and violence, to the point where the indigenous populations make up barely 2 percent of the population. And I myself, I'm considered a minority in the USA.
Actually, it you want to go back far enough, there is good evidence that Europeans were truly indigenous Americans: New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America - Americas - World - The Independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you are 1/5 Czech, 1/5 Slovakian, 1/5 Polish, 1/5 Irish, and 1/5 German like so many Americans are, you are not going to be accepted as "one of them" in any country except the UK.
Why would one with such a background be "one of them" in the UK? You wouldn't be "one of them" because you're not of British Isles blood.

Still, there's a great degree of relatedness among Europeans.

Quote:
You probably aren't aware, but over there we do talk about how Americans have an "American look" to them.
What does that say about ethnic composition? Your way of dressing, mannerisms, etc., can betray your national origin. In any case, there are certain common ancestries, e.g., English/Scottish/Scotch-Irish in the South, Irish/Italian in the Northeast, German most everywhere else, etc. That can lead to a certain distinctive look.

Quote:
You may be white, but that doesn't mean **** in Europe. These people can tell with frightening accuracy if you are a European or American.
See above.

Quote:
White is only a state of mind that exists in immigrant societies such as ours. The far-right parties in Europe, like the British National Party, Front National, True Finns, Jobbik, ONLY want homogenous ethnic English, Welsh, Irish (BNP), ethnic French (FN), ethnic Finns (True Finns), ethnic Hungarians (Jobbik) living in their country.
You're not telling me anything I don't already know. You can add Golden Dawn to that. Obviously they also want to preserve what's unique about Greece, just as the other nationalist parties want to preserve their own ethnic identity. That may or may not include some acceptance of other Europeans living there, but in small numbers. No mass migrations. A good example is massive Polish immigration to the UK. This has come with all kinds of deleterious economic effects & the British have every right to oppose it.

Quote:
Don't disillusion yourself that because you're "white", you'd be accepted anywhere in Europe as "one of them", you'll get laughed at instead
Clearly, I'd always be an American. I'd still have an accent. I never said otherwise.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,976,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Actually, it you want to go back far enough, there is good evidence that Europeans were truly indigenous Americans: New evidence suggests Stone Age hunters from Europe discovered America - Americas - World - The Independent

Why would one with such a background be "one of them" in the UK? You wouldn't be "one of them" because you're not of British Isles blood.

Still, there's a great degree of relatedness among Europeans.

What does that say about ethnic composition? Your way of dressing, mannerisms, etc., can betray your national origin. In any case, there are certain common ancestries, e.g., English/Scottish/Scotch-Irish in the South, Irish/Italian in the Northeast, German most everywhere else, etc. That can lead to a certain distinctive look.

See above.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know. You can add Golden Dawn to that. Obviously they also want to preserve what's unique about Greece, just as the other nationalist parties want to preserve their own ethnic identity. That may or may not include some acceptance of other Europeans living there, but in small numbers. No mass migrations. A good example is massive Polish immigration to the UK. This has come with all kinds of deleterious economic effects & the British have every right to oppose it.

Clearly, I'd always be an American. I'd still have an accent. I never said otherwise.
Ah ok. We're on the same page then. I've heard a lot of white Americans claim they want to move back to the "homeland" over the years when they are so mixed up with different European nationalities it's hard to know which country is "the homeland". I've actually been in correspondence with the BNP in the past when they were at the height of their popularity, and a spokeswoman with the BNP actually said their beliefs includes paying all non-ethnic Brits to repatriate to their ancestral homelands. If such a thing ever happened in the US again (it has in the past for former slaves, that's how Liberia came into existence), at least I have somewhere to go immediately; Spain. For most Americans, that's a tricky proposition. Most Americans are a hodgepodge of 3-5 different nationalities, not like me where it's 2 and the Spanish one is the very dominant one. The usual go-to country is Ireland, but many of the "Irish" here are like 1/3 Irish at most lol.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM

659 posts, read 941,974 times
My biggest fear of my moving to Europe and (staying there!) someday, are people that would peg me as American. Not simply because of my American personality (I hope it isn't too bad) but because of my looks. I don't want to be treated as an American in Romania for example if both my parents, grand-parents, and great-grandparents were born in Romania.

I've seen Romanians that move here for a study abroad program and I'm always feeling abit self-conscious because I do not have some of their features, it's not as pronounced. Having been born and raised here in the States, if I move back to Europe, I'd really like for people not to treat me as a foreigner. Even in America, I don't really identify with my peers that much, only on some things.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,453,047 times
Quote:
Ah ok. We're on the same page then. I've heard a lot of white Americans claim they want to move back to the "homeland" over the years when they are so mixed up with different European nationalities it's hard to know which country is "the homeland".
Most of them should stay put, unless they have a very strong attachment to a particular ancestral homeland. Europeans do not need a large influx of Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc*. Nor do we need a large influx of Europeans. And as you can see by the link I provided in the post you quoted and what is already obvious, we have plenty of history on both continents.

*South Africans are one exception. White South Africans are very obviously targeted for genocide (widespread violence, ethnic replacement, and mandatory legal discrimination) and could use a safe haven: FARMITRACKER
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe