Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:48 AM

363 posts, read 480,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
My poor little cousins have names from that list. One of them is only 2 years old!

Too bad they don't have cool modern names like T'shaunte or Hamburglar.

;-)
Many of the names on that list are still in use, but not Tjasse's favorites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
Those weren't my favorites, i just picked a couple weird ones and the rest were from the top 10. Actually in my home town there are a lot of old guys with names like Arne, Sven, Knut etc.

I know a couple younger norwegian guys named Emil, which I guess is popular now but seems like one of the least cool names you could give a kid. My favorite snowboarder (who is from norway) is named Terje. That's a good one if you ask me. He's my age.

Italians and japanese have the coolest names. The worst names are people from Utah.

Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM

659 posts, read 940,658 times
Most Americans in my country state they are XXX-American because their ancestors (grandparents or further back) came from that country. Sadly, it's mis-used and they shouldn't say it, but they do.

Very few Americans call themselves XXX-Americans and mean it like I do: That I have both Citizenship of XXX country (usually by blood, since a parent or grandparent hails from there) and citizenship of the United States/Mexico/Canada.

I find that if you have citizenship of both countries, namely the right to work and live in both just fine, then it's perfectly acceptable to state that you are XXX-American because it's true. However, like I said, a lot of Americans do not have citizenship in both countries and yet they label themselves as XXX-American simply because their ancestors came from that country.... it's annoying T_T

Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Survival guide for those who are in Oslo and dont want to spend lots of money...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp5a9hXKGB4
I watched many of this guy's videos. They are pretty funny and useful.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:25 AM

4 posts, read 4,041 times
Wont be a problem. But going to the capitol wont be a nice experience, its mostly populated by people from the middle east. Nothing wrong with tem, but it wont be a "norwegian" tour.

Go to smaller towns and villages in the west or north, is my advise.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijjan View Post
Wont be a problem. But going to the capitol wont be a nice experience, its mostly populated by people from the middle east. Nothing wrong with tem, but it wont be a "norwegian" tour.

Go to smaller towns and villages in the west or north, is my advise.
Its not true that Oslo is mostly populated with people from the middle east, that is a silly thing to say.... Yes there are a amount of people with middle eastern origin who lives in Oslo. But people of polish and swedish origin are also very well represented in Oslo..

But you are correct about the "norwegian tour". People who visit Oslo will not see anything stereotypical norwegian. They will be disappointed, and afterwards write bad things about Oslo on city-data

Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I watched many of this guy's videos. They are pretty funny and useful.

Another thing to remember is that the law of physics also exists in Oslo. By that I mean: In other cities in Europe you dont have your wallet in your back pocket. Dont do that in Oslo either, it will be gone in about 2 seconds.

Some will probably blame non western immigrants for every crime in Oslo, which is not true. Crime have been commited in that city for centuries. But overall, Oslo is much more peacefull than any other city in Europe.

I feel sorry for this poor spanish touristbus driver who parked in a non guarded zone in Oslo during the night. He would never do that in any other city in Europe. The result of it: Probably a drug addict who could not find anything of value and got angry and set the bus on fire: http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel...1216391454.jpg

Dont leave anything of value in your parked car, it will be gone in about 2 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4qhb8XONAk

Old 03-07-2015, 09:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
I always find it curious that Americans expect some kind of reaction out of Europeans, just because of their nationality, or their heritage. I'm not sure why the concept "nobody cares" is hard to grasp. I have a very German name (first and last); my first name is a very old-fashioned traditional name. Germans here in the US tend to comment on it, or on both names. In Germany and Austria people were completely unphased, and it never occurred to me to expect a reaction.

Do you speak Norwegian, OP? That's what gets people's attention. They appreciate it when you can speak their language, no matter where you're from, or what your heritage is.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:13 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Another thing to remember is that the law of physics also exists in Oslo. By that I mean: In other cities in Europe you dont have your wallet in your back pocket. Dont do that in Oslo either, it will be gone in about 2 seconds.

Some will probably blame non western immigrants for every crime in Oslo, which is not true. Crime have been commited in that city for centuries. But overall, Oslo is much more peacefull than any other city in Europe.

I feel sorry for this poor spanish touristbus driver who parked in a non guarded zone in Oslo during the night. He would never do that in any other city in Europe. The result of it: Probably a drug addict who could not find anything of value and got angry and set the bus on fire: http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel...1216391454.jpg

Dont leave anything of value in your parked car, it will be gone in about 2 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4qhb8XONAk
I wouldn't have expected this in Scandinavia. Is it mostly a big-city problem? Is theft an issue in smaller towns?

Old 03-07-2015, 09:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,381 times
The Norwegian guy already laughed and said my name was funny, like some old man name, that is kind of what I meant.
In Japan, Japanese Americans are treated pretty badly by the locals. So it's not a crazy thing to wonder about. Germans are are laconic and unimpressed by anything, it's hard to know what they are really thinking until they are drunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe