Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 07:46 PM

723 posts, read 810,188 times

Advertisements

I mean this country has kind of sunk after its brilliant colonial past.It is today out the world news map. What happened?
Are Spain and Greece next ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,960,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
I mean this country has kind of sunk after its brilliant colonial past.It is today out the world news map. What happened?
Are Spain and Greece next ?
Well a serious of things happened that contributed to the downfall in my opinion.

1. In 1496 a decree was signed for the expulsion of the Jews and Muslims(unless they converted to Christianity) Many of the educated were Jews some left at that time those that remained were watched closely and were labeled New Christians(a second class category) Jews played a big role as explorers.

2. In 1536 the Inquisition was adopted in Portugal to make sure that those that had converted did not revert to their former religious practices it ended 1821 it was basically utilized by the Church and the Crown to confiscate property from the New Christians and terrorize them. Many were an important part of the educated middle class which was small.

3.From 1580-1640 the disastrous Iberian Union when the Crown of Portugal united with the Crowns of Aragon and Castile. Portugal became embroiled in Spain's conflicts and gained all of their enemies during this time the Colonial empire shrunk.

4. 1775 the Lisbon earthquake destroys the capital which must be rebuilt.

5. 1807 Napoleon invades Portugal the monarchy and much of the Nobility flees to Brazil most of the nobility never return.

6. 1822 Brazil the richest colony by far declares independence

7. A series of ineffective stupid monarchs rule until 1908.

8. 1908 monarchy and heir were assassinated

9. 1910 a revolution

10. 1926 A Coup

11. 1933-1968 An authoritarian right-wing dictatorship ruled by Salazar(very little investment in education)

12 1961-1974 Portuguese colonial War

Things started to look up in 1974

1974 a coup that changed the country from a dictatorship to a democracy

1986 Portugal joins the European Union and starts receiving funds.

Last edited by AFP; 03-09-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,037,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Well a serious of things happened that contributed to the downfall in my opinion.

1. In 1496 a decree was signed for the expulsion of the Jews and Muslims(unless they converted to Christianity) Many of the educated were Jews some left at that time those that remained were watched closely and were labeled New Christians(a second class category) Jews played a big role as explorers.

2. In 1536 the Inquisition was adopted in Portugal to make sure that those that had converted did not revert to their former religious practices it ended 1821 it was basically utilized by the Church and the Crown to confiscate property from the New Christians and terrorize them. Many were an important part of the educated middle class which was small.

3.From 1580-1640 the disastrous Iberian Union when the Crown of Portugal united with the Crowns of Aragon and Castile. Portugal became embroiled in Spain's conflicts and gained all of their enemies during this time the Colonial empire shrunk.

5. 1807 Napoleon invades Portugal the monarchy and much of the Nobility flees to Brazil most of the nobility never return.

6. 1822 Brazil the richest colony by far declares independence

7. A series of ineffective stupid monarchs rule until 1908.

8. 1908 monarchy and heir were assassinated

9. 1910 a revolution

10. 1926 A Coup

11. 1933-1968 An authoritarian right-wing dictatorship ruled by Salazar(very little investment in education)

12 1961-1974 Portuguese colonial War

Things started to look up in 1974

1974 a coup that changed the country from a dictatorship to a democracy

1986 Portugal joins the European Union and starts receiving funds.
Wow, didn't know Spain had such a troubled neighbor.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wow, didn't know Spain had such a troubled neighbor.
Well Portugal and Spain pretty much were rivals historically Portugal couldn't beat Spain so had to look across the ocean.

You know the strange thing is I'm Portuguese but I'm more closely related to Spaniards genetically.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,037,400 times
Quote:
Well Portugal and Spain pretty much were rivals historically Portugal couldn't beat Spain so had to look across the ocean.

You know the strange thing is I'm Portuguese but I'm more closely related to Spaniards genetically.
And yet we looked across the ocean too, and screwed Portugal over in the Treaty of Tordesillas .

I'm Galician, so they would make me more related to the Portuguese than the Spanish

Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And yet we looked across the ocean too, and screwed Portugal over in the Treaty of Tordesillas .

I'm Galician, so they would make me more related to the Portuguese than the Spanish
Interesting I'm from the Azores Islands my family has been there 500-600 years we were primarily from the North of Portugal interesting that you are from Galicia that is the region in the Iberian peninsula that I most match genetically. That means we are both descend from tribes from the historical Gallaecia region.

Last edited by AFP; 03-09-2015 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 PM
AFP

You know the North of Portugal was Southern Galicia we split off because of Santiago de Compostela.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:18 PM

16,260 posts, read 43,372,967 times
Quote:
This is the one that most concerns me. The others are now historical events, which have passed.

This event shows that this WILL occur again at some point in the future.

Would LISBON be able to handle this? When I view images/photos of Lisbon, it looks like much of the architecture is very old world, most likely with the material that would readily collapse again.

I wonder if there is much policy in place to prepare for an earthquake with the existing architecture that they have?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:38 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This is the one that most concerns me. The others are now historical events, which have passed.

Would LISBON be able to handle this? When I view images/photos of Lisbon, it looks like much of the architecture is very old world, most likely with the material that would readily collapse again.

I wonder if there is much policy in place to prepare for an earthquake with the existing architecture that they have?
I don't know the answers to your questions but it was one hell of an earthquake, followed by a tsunami, followed by fires that burned most of the city down. I also affected the Algarve region in the south and other regions.

1755 Lisbon earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 PM

8,886 posts, read 8,527,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Every earthquake-prone city is gonna be hit by another really big earthquake eventually. There's study that shows a massive earthquake could happen in Taipei this century, as a really big one(>7.0) strikes pretty much every three hundred years. Last one happened in 1694 and part of the city became a lake back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe