Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:29 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Roma people and Muslims are the least tolerated minorities in Europe

Negative impressions of Roma people and Muslims are high across northern Europe – and 10% have a negative impression of Jewish people in France
Read: https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/05...es-minorities/

So what do you think?

Last edited by Rozenn; 07-01-2015 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 03:00 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,387,361 times
United Nations in it´s classifications eg says northern Europe is Nordics+Baltics+UK+Ireland. As well, the terms "northern" and "southern" aren´t the certainly the only terms one can use. There are other words too, like central and western European.

Surprising that Danes are on top. Swedes being the most tolerant -that is not surprising, in turn.

Old 07-01-2015, 03:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,191,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
United Nations in it´s classifications eg says northern Europe is Nordics+Baltics+UK+Ireland. As well, the terms "northern" and "southern" aren´t the certainly the only terms one can use. There are other words too, like central and western European.

Surprising that Danes are on top. Swedes being the most tolerant -that is not surprising, in turn.
Not really. Dansk Folkeparti is the second-largest party in Denmark. The party is against immigration from non-Western countries, just like Sverigedemokraterna (Sweden) and FrP (Norway).

Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I suppose so. Well I actually found this map

And this map is based on the official EU definitions for European regions and is used in EU parliament and institutions. So, let's settle this debate because the EU has spoken. The British isles are western Europe, while northern Europe is contiguous with the Nordic Council and the Baltic States

Northern Europe | EuroVoc
That map is more like it. I'm sure the feelings towards gypsies are due to personal negative experiences with them compared to non-personal experiences with Muslims. Iv'e had gypsy con artist try to rip me off so I can understand. As for as Muslims go all we have to do is look to the headlines to see why. As far as black people go, I'm sure that many are thought to be Muslims. I bet if you said Black people from America you would get a more favorable answer.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 07-01-2015 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 07:56 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
I have limited experience but paradoxically I heard that in Sweden several Italian guys (including one Italian-Swedish guy who speak perfect Swedish) encountered some discrimination and disproved the myth of "perfect Sweden".
Be it clear, I'm not saying that Sweden is 4th reich.
And before attacking me, I'm testifying what some people who lived in Sweden and what they reported about their experience, it is not the overall truth.
In terms of stereotypes/general impression, I always had the impression that Swedes/Danes and Norwegians were much more arrogant and snobbish towards other Europeans (especially Southerners), Finns are somewhat "less known".

Old 07-02-2015, 08:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
What do women in Finland drink?
Ciders and beer, or like, Bailey's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I have limited experience but paradoxically I heard that in Sweden several Italian guys (including one Italian-Swedish guy who speak perfect Swedish) encountered some discrimination and disproved the myth of "perfect Sweden".
Be it clear, I'm not saying that Sweden is 4th reich.
And before attacking me, I'm testifying what some people who lived in Sweden and what they reported about their experience, it is not the overall truth.
In terms of stereotypes/general impression, I always had the impression that Swedes/Danes and Norwegians were much more arrogant and snobbish towards other Europeans (especially Southerners), Finns are somewhat "less known".
The Swedes might sound a bit arrogant, I've encountered it. Maybe it's their past as a major power and the impression of their "folkhem" perfect society. The Danes are a bit too, but much more down-to-earth and Finland and Norway are just pawns in the game. Sweden likes to be the big brother of Finland, and Denmark does it desperately towards Norway, which is obviously not succeeding.

Regarding Italy and Italians, there has always been some odd attraction from Finland towards Italy, maybe due to the fact that our geographical positions have always been vulnerable and both countries have been overshadowed by their neighbours (Germany and France vs Sweden and Russia). For example, if we stereotype a lazy Mediterranean olive-eater it's always Spain, never Italy. I had a Finnish-Italian classmate (from Turin) in elementary and high school, and he never encountered any even remote discrimination, unlike an Albanian classmate did. And the secretary of the Finnish FA is named Marco Casagrande, with his roots in Southern Italy.

This is largely sterotypical and painted with a broad brush, so don't take it literally.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 AM

363 posts, read 480,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Ciders and beer, or like, Bailey's.

The Swedes might sound a bit arrogant, I've encountered it. Maybe it's their past as a major power and the impression of their "folkhem" perfect society. The Danes are a bit too, but much more down-to-earth and Finland and Norway are just pawns in the game. Sweden likes to be the big brother of Finland, and Denmark does it desperately towards Norway, which is obviously not succeeding.

Regarding Italy and Italians, there has always been some odd attraction from Finland towards Italy, maybe due to the fact that our geographical positions have always been vulnerable and both countries have been overshadowed by their neighbours (Germany and France vs Sweden and Russia). For example, if we stereotype a lazy Mediterranean olive-eater it's always Spain, never Italy. I had a Finnish-Italian classmate (from Turin) in elementary and high school, and he never encountered any even remote discrimination, unlike an Albanian classmate did. And the secretary of the Finnish FA is named Marco Casagrande, with his roots in Southern Italy.

This is largely sterotypical and painted with a broad brush, so don't take it literally.
Not only Danes love Norway but swedes also, they both tries to be big brother. Its hard to be loved by so many

Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM

363 posts, read 480,194 times
Quote:
Not only Danes love Norway but swedes also, they both tries to be big brother. Its hard to be loved by so many
And of course finns also loves Norway. That is why one of Norways counties is named after finns, because there are so many with finn heritage who lives there

Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
And of course finns also loves Norway. That is why one of Norways counties is named after finns, because there are so many with finn heritage who lives there
That is not right true. Finland originally meant only this area:

The Norse sagas tell how warlords raided and conquered 'Finland', when it meant only this area. The other Finnish people were called Tavastians, Savonians, Karelians, Ostrobothnians and Lapps. What the Norsemen meant with 'Finland' were the Lapland and Finnmark areas inhabited by Samis and a handful of Ostrobothnians (Lapps). The Eddas tells about raids towards the 'Finns' which were in fact Samis and Northern Finnish populations. It wasn't before the 16th century the whole of the "Östlandet" was begun to be called 'Finland'. It is true that there was a Finnish influence in Northern Norway and the sagas tell about retaliations towards the Norsemen, but this involved just a few % of the total 'Finnish' population. The Southern Finns were too busy fighting the Novgorodians.

When the Swedes colonised this area:

it was and still is called "Nyland" (the new land). They landed here and subdued the local population quite easily, as the Tavastians weren't really seafarers. Later the Tavastians stroke a deal with the 'Finns' from the previous map and Tavastians to battle both the Novgorodians and the Danes, who also liked to come here on our coasts to loot.

... And of course we love the Norwegians. Just if you'd be a bit less rich...

Old 07-04-2015, 01:25 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That is not right true. Finland originally meant only this area:

The Norse sagas tell how warlords raided and conquered 'Finland', when it meant only this area. The other Finnish people were called Tavastians, Savonians, Karelians, Ostrobothnians and Lapps. What the Norsemen meant with 'Finland' were the Lapland and Finnmark areas inhabited by Samis and a handful of Ostrobothnians (Lapps). The Eddas tells about raids towards the 'Finns' which were in fact Samis and Northern Finnish populations. It wasn't before the 16th century the whole of the "Östlandet" was begun to be called 'Finland'. It is true that there was a Finnish influence in Northern Norway and the sagas tell about retaliations towards the Norsemen, but this involved just a few % of the total 'Finnish' population. The Southern Finns were too busy fighting the Novgorodians.

When the Swedes colonised this area:

it was and still is called "Nyland" (the new land). They landed here and subdued the local population quite easily, as the Tavastians weren't really seafarers. Later the Tavastians stroke a deal with the 'Finns' from the previous map and Tavastians to battle both the Novgorodians and the Danes, who also liked to come here on our coasts to loot.

... And of course we love the Norwegians. Just if you'd be a bit less rich...
They didn't manage to conquer anything actually. At least they didn't have settlements in "Finland".

Even the Saga of Olaf Haraldson tells how Olav Haraldsson, the King of Norway, plundered in Finland and was almost killed in the battle:

Quote:
After this they sailed to Finland and plundered there, and went

up the country. All the people fled to the forest, and they had
emptied their houses of all household goods. The king went far
up the country, and through some woods, and came to some
dwellings in a valley called Herdaler, -- where, however, they
made but small booty, and saw no people; and as it was getting
late in the day, the king turned back to his ships. Now when
they came into the woods again people rushed upon them from all
quarters, and made a severe attack. The king told his men to
cover themselves with their shields, but before they got out of
the woods he lost many people, and many were wounded; but at
last, late in the evening, he got to the ships. The Finlanders
conjured up in the night, by their witchcraft, a dreadful storm
and bad weather on the sea; but the king ordered the anchors to
be weighed and sail hoisted, and beat off all night to the
outside of the land. The king's luck prevailed more than the
Finlanders' witchcraft; for he had the luck to beat round the
Balagard's side in the night. and so got out to sea. But the
Finnish army proceeded on land, making the same progress as the
king made with his ships. So says Sigvat: --

"The third fight was at Herdaler, where
The men of Finland met in war
The hero of the royal race,
With ringing sword-blades face to face.
Off Balagard's shore the waves
Ran hollow; but the sea-king saves
His hard-pressed ship, and gains the lee
Of the east coast through the wild sea."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe