Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:41 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,032 times

Advertisements

Not so much in Finland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
The nicer ones are definitively art but quickly and filthy sprayed tags are just smearings.

Here in Düsseldorf large wall graffitis can be found everywhere, some are even under monumental protection:

Or as a political protest against Hartz IV (guaranteed minimum income in Germany. What is considered by some people as insufficient):

Tag graffii:

A graffiti crew or "gang" from Düsseldorf:

In my opinion "gang" sounds too harsh. Of course it's not legal what they are doing, but i wouldn't consider it as a crime.

Those crews are certainly mixed, Germans and people with a migration background. It seems logical, because most people don't care from where other people are.

That are some nice pieces of work. One can like it, or not, but it can't be denied it is art
I personally like it. Gives a neighborhood a nice vibe

Old 07-09-2015, 09:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
There has been grafitti in nordic countries forever.

I mean even in the stone age and bronze age people used to scratch pictures onto stones, then in the Middle ages people carved runes and pictures on stones and into the wooden walls of houses and doors.

Then in the early modern age people used paint to express political viewpoints and easily since the 1970s when the grafitti art and tagging phenomenon developed in the U.S. it immediately made its way to northern Europe just as it did much of the world.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 AM

60 posts, read 58,081 times
The graffiti in Düsseldorf is beautiful!!

I wish we could have more artistic graffiti here in Stockholm actually, however we have a building called Kolingsborg which stands in this very debated place called Slussen that is about to be totally remade, while some others believe it to be a cultural historical place to preserve. The same goes for Kolingsborg and as a last hurrah they decided to let talented graffiti artist paint it to their hearts desire, and the result is fantastic. I think everyone in Stockholm actually takes notice of the building now, much more than before.

This is what it originally looked like... Just a grey blob of misery.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnEurope View Post
The graffiti in Düsseldorf is beautiful!!

I wish we could have more artistic graffiti here in Stockholm actually, however we have a building called Kolingsborg which stands in this very debated place called Slussen that is about to be totally remade, while some others believe it to be a cultural historical place to preserve. The same goes for Kolingsborg and as a last hurrah they decided to let talented graffiti artist paint it to their hearts desire, and the result is fantastic. I think everyone in Stockholm actually takes notice of the building now, much more than before.

This is what it originally looked like... Just a grey blob of misery.

Those pictures makes me poop into my pants

Old 07-09-2015, 02:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
There has been grafitti in nordic countries forever.

I mean even in the stone age and bronze age people used to scratch pictures onto stones, then in the Middle ages people carved runes and pictures on stones and into the wooden walls of houses and doors.

Then in the early modern age people used paint to express political viewpoints and easily since the 1970s when the grafitti art and tagging phenomenon developed in the U.S. it immediately made its way to northern Europe just as it did much of the world.
Indeed! When I first encountered it in the mid eighties, I was stuck by the amount of anti immigrant content, more so in Norway than anywhere else, if I recall. Norse for Nordmen etc. Didn't fit with my image of Scandinavia, as tolerant or a destination for south Asians.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:09 AM

60 posts, read 58,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Those pictures makes me poop into my pants
In a good way I hope...

Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times

Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,032 times
I don't think I could resist the urge to beat the crap out of any ****ing hippie doing this to our building Friend of mine actually once stole some graffiti terrorist's backbag Guess that helped because they are very rare nowadays

Be viligant people!

Old 07-10-2015, 11:31 AM

363 posts, read 479,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Indeed! When I first encountered it in the mid eighties, I was stuck by the amount of anti immigrant content, more so in Norway than anywhere else, if I recall. Norse for Nordmen etc. Didn't fit with my image of Scandinavia, as tolerant or a destination for south Asians.
Oslo used to have too much graffiti of different kind before. But things have calmed down now, there aint so much grafitti in Oslo anymore compared to older days.

Oslo:

Last edited by Tjua; 07-10-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe