Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,226 times

Advertisements

I am Hispanic with brown skin and have been wanting to travel to Europe for some time.
Unfortunately ive held back because ive heard a lot of Europe is racist. Is this something that is true?
If so, what places should i avoid and what places do you think are the most friendly to other ethnicity's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 04:52 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Israel is not part of Europe and Israelis don't have problems with dark-skinned people.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Wrong forum buddy. Need to cross the pond. he he

Old 10-07-2015, 11:55 PM

32 posts, read 26,396 times
I don't think in Israel there is any serious problem of caste discrimination.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 AM

41 posts, read 31,872 times
There is discrimination in Israel like everywhere else just be careful

Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,728,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivee Sohma View Post
I am Hispanic with brown skin and have been wanting to travel to Europe for some time.

Unfortunately ive held back because ive heard a lot of Europe is racist. Is this something that is true?

If so, what places should i avoid and what places do you think are the most friendly to other ethnicity's?

Interesting that you think this way. To be honest to some extent even having been to many countries in Europe I sort of have a mixed opinion of that. Please note many places in Europe have a large populations of Arabs (from the Middle East and North Africa) and Africans. In big cities this seem a bit less obvious. When travelling to some of these countries I was with a freind. Both of us live in Canada and both of us have parent that are from the Caribbean. She is black and I have fair skin a darkly curly hair ( People often assume I am Latin America, Middle Eastern, Italian, Greek, Portuguese, Spainish etc... ). We were in Franfurt together. We actually never really experienced any discomfort. We were at this music event and this local guy started dancing with us and actually said out of no where please do not assume that all of us German's are rascists. I guess they people do assume that alot of German's and other European countries. I think that is a really broad question. I think it really depends on that person and their personal life experiences. There are people that choose to not mix with others and there are those who embrace it. It really depends. For example when I was travelling in Morocco I met this guy who was travelling alone in his 20s who is from Europe and Jewish. People often assume that all Muslim countries are very anti-jewish, but in reality it totally depends on who you end up meeting. I think people in general really do not care about the situation when it is not relevant to them. Ex Most Moroccan people have never met anyone who is Jewish or Isreali or Christian to actually form a specific opinion because the population is 98% Muslim. This does not mean that people are going to mistreat you. It just depends on who you happen to come across. I did not travel to small towns only major cities and never had any problems. However if speak to people with darker complexions living in Europe you are going to get different observations. I have spoke to family from Morocco living in France and they express they find French people very rasict against them. I have also herd that many Jewish people living in Europe find this as well. I hear Turkish people living in Germany express this too, but as a tourist I never had or observed anything significant.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:23 PM

Default I do not think that is really true..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel is not part of Europe and Israelis don't have problems with dark-skinned people.
I actually do think that it is true. Just like everywhere else in the world Israel has issues with discrimination about people of a darker complexion. When European Jews came to Israel European racists tendencies came with them. I know many Israeli people most of European/Israeli backgrounds that express very discriminatory view towards blacks, Indians and other people with darker complexions. I have actually also heard about some Israeli's being very discriminatory towards black Jews. This is not to say all people from Israel or all people from European Israel backgronds think this way, but these concerns are just as likely to pop up there as anywhere else. I think these issues are worldwide and not specific to any region. People often fear other peole that appear different then them when they lack exposure to them in a positive and regular basis.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM

861 posts, read 852,682 times
Quote:
There have recently been some tensions between beta-Israelis and the Azkhenazi population. As an Hispanic, I don't think you will be confused with a beta Israeli, so you should have little problems in Israel.

Have fun, Tel Aviv is awesome..

Old 10-23-2015, 05:41 PM

I am not even sure I read your questions right now? Why are you so concerned about what Israeli people in Europe think about dark skinned people? As a self described dark skinned person going to Europe the least of your problems are Israeli Jews? If you are Jewish and going to Europe and trying and be involved with Jewish community in Europe I do not think they would be racist against you at all. Very unlikely. They probably will be pretty welcoming and you are not likely to be standing out too much regardless. If you want to go to Israel as a tourist, not likely you would have any problems with racists? They have tourist from all over the world. If the second part was your question ... Israel is not in Europe. It is pretty unlikely someone is going to target because your Hispanic and visiting Israel. If you are actually taking about Europe in some countries in certain areas that there is a bit more of a chance being targeted for a hate crime, but still not crazy high and not too common on major cities. I thought your questions was more related to ex skin head and neo Nazi stuff. The risks do not appear really high in general. If you are going to Israel ... I am surprised your concerned about racism vs safety surround terrorism. Regardless people go to Israel and Europe all the time, have fun and get back safely. I would go and your are most likely going to have a great time in either location.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:22 AM

471 posts, read 621,652 times
Quote:
Israel is part of Asia. Jews tried to invade Europe and the Spanish kingdom killed many and expelled the rest in the 1400s. The expelled jews from Spain are known as sephardi Jews, like Adam Sandler, Sephardi means hispanic, sephardi jews are jews that tried to invade Hispania and were expelled, moors and jews.

They also tried to invade Germany and we all know what Hitler did.

Europeans protect their ancestry and bloodline, that is why they do not accept birthright citizenship.

Israel is not a peaceful country. If you are catholic or Christian stay away from Israel. You might get killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe