Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM

172 posts, read 177,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Bah, seriously I don't even know. The only things that have been reformed lately are the régions. Is that the same ? I don't know much about this sort of things, and since my English is somewhat basic, I'm going to make a fool of myself if I try to explain it. It's not a thing that they teach in school so... Maybe an other French person will answer you better than I

In Germany we say "Regionen". France is segmented in "Regionen". As far as I know, France introduced regions to make the country a little bit less centralistic. But in Germany France still has the reputation for beeing a centralistic country.

France:
- regions
- departements
- arrondissements
- cantons
- cummunes

I encounter this classification when I did some research about manufacturing in France at Institut national de la statistique et des tudes conomiques : Accueil
What's about Paris? Has Paris the status of a departement? As far as I know the city itself is segmented in arrondissements.

In Germany we have:
- Bundesländer (states)
- Regierungsbezirke (at least in some states)
- Kreise (districts)
- Gemeinden (communes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 11:53 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
In Germany we say "Regionen". France is segmented in "Regionen". As far as I know, France introduced regions to make the country a little bit less centralistic. But in Germany France still has the reputation for beeing a centralistic country.

France:
- regions
- departements
- arrondissements
- cantons
- cummunes

I encounter this classification when I did some research about manufacturing in France at Institut national de la statistique et des tudes conomiques : Accueil
What's about Paris? Has Paris the status of a departement? As far as I know the city itself is segmented in arrondissements.

In Germany we have:
- Bundesländer (states)
- Kreise (districts)
- Gemeinden (communes)
Yes, Paris has its own département and it is at the same time a département and a commune. Why? IDK but maybe because it is the capital.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,506,965 times
Quote:
I guess, that's very uncommon in France. I have read that there are normally no municipality reforms in France. The boundaries of the communes are the same like 50 years ago, or so. Is that correct?
France has some really tiny municipalities, right? How do they provide any services?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:10 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,138,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nope. The difference in birth rates in the U.S. between Hispanics and non-Hispanics is about 15%. The difference was 40% 10 years ago, but has shrunk to almost nothing.

The decline in U.S. birthrates during the last decade is 100% due to decline in Hispanic birthrates. White and Asian birthrates haven't changed at all.

Much of Latin America has lower birthrates than the U.S. now. The idea that Hispanics have more babies than non-Hispanics is simply outdated and wrong.
I provided a source, how about you do the same for those claims?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:21 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:

France:
- regions
- departements
- arrondissements
- cantons
- cummunes

In Germany we have:
- Bundesländer (states)
- Kreise (districts)
- Gemeinden (communes)
Yes, Paris is a département too - the only one like that in fact, it's the chef-lieu (sorry don't know how to say that in English) of the région île-de-France also. But Paris isn't the only city fragmented in arrondissements, the two other big cities of France are too - Lyon and Marseille (and others maybe ? huh).

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-15-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
France has some really tiny municipalities, right? How do they provide any services?
There is a tiny village with just 40 habitants somwhere in the north - don't remember the name.... am sure there is plenty of them scattered all over the country. The services are pretty much done by the other bigger villages around. Maybe if you're lucky, that sort of place will have a bakery, a littlle shop, or even the shop IN the bakery. You go to work, school and to the hospital or doctor in the nearest town or village. That's what I do when I go to my doctor, I go in another commune. It's okay to do that I guess.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-15-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 12:27 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
In Finland there's:

- Communes
- The Regional State Administrative Agencies, as seen here:

- the Government of Finland

The Provinces have only a symbolic function these days and excess no power.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM

It's too complicated for me, they should do something about it.

If I look at Wikipedia just a second it says something like 36 658 communes in January 2015.
That's. too. much.

My town has a population of 18 626 habitants, the commune just next is populated of 1 452 souls. (2012 data so there should have been some change but not that much I guess)
My doctor is also the mayor of this commune, so I think that says it all...

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-15-2015 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Ohh, I really don't know. I am not French. I guess the services are provided by the cantons or arrondissements or even departements. In some German states, there are also very tiny municipalities, but they form larger municipalities associations. In Niedersachsen they are called "Samtgemeinde" and in Rheinland-Pfalz the name is "Verbandsgemeinde". Maybe there are also municipalities associations in France, I don't know.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
There is a tiny village with just 40 habitants somwhere in the north - don't remember the name.... am sure there is plenty of them scattered all over the country. The services are pretty much done by the other bigger villages around. Maybe if you're lucky, that sort of place will have a bakery, a littlle shop, or even the shop IN the bakery. You go to work, school and to the hospital or doctor in the nearest town or village. That's what I do when I go to my doctor, I go in another commune. It's okay to do that I guess.
I guess it's the same like in all other countries. Most communes in Nordrhein-Westfalen has of course small villages with no shops, just a church and some houses. 45 years ago, most of those villages were independent communes. They are no part of a larger communes. But the daily life of the people isn't effected by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe