Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 11:26 AM

431 posts, read 449,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Huh ? I don't understand you people. It's just for a month, it's no big deal, is it ?
What could the local authorities do anyway ? Tell the king to f*** off ? Suuuure.
You don't see why shutting down a public beach for a very rich person and his entourage for "just a month" doesn't fly in the face of the ethos of modern France? Maybe France is changing. Although, somehow I doubt it would be permitted if some Russian kleptocrat brought 1000 of his goons and tried the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:28 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Who are 'you people'?

If these are the principles upon which your Country is supposedly based then I would say that it is important that those principles are upheld.

However it isn't a matter for me as I'm not French.

Personally I think it is important that it is seen that money cannot prevent access of others.

Oh, and there are far more subtle ways of refusing a request that telling someone to f*** off.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
You don't see why shutting down a public beach for a very rich person and his entourage for "just a month" doesn't fly in the face of the ethos of modern France? Maybe France is changing. Although, somehow I doubt it would be permitted if some Russian kleptocrat brought 1000 of his goons and tried the same thing.
I don't care for beaches, maybe that's why I don't see the problem. If a guy, whoever that guy is, and if he has the money, he can do whatever he wants. Local people will just have to go to another beach or stop going to that beach for that month. I really don't see where the big deal is. If my public park were closed for a month because of some rich person, then so be it, for me it's the same. I understand other people views seriously, but well, no need for so much blah blah and complains IMHO.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Who are 'you people'? Well you and others ?

If these are the principles upon which your Country is supposedly based then I would say that it is important that those principles are upheld. And what does liberté, égalité, fraternité has to do with some rich king coming and closing a beach for a month ? I must be so stupid to not understand what all the fuss is about...

However it isn't a matter for me as I'm not French. It isn't a matter for me eother, I don't care what happen where I don't live, unless my country is under threat and I don't think she is currently.

Personally I think it is important that it is seen that money cannot prevent access of others. Oh please... it's just a beach ! Not an hospital, a beach. Are local people really going to die suddenly because they can't go on that beach for a month ?

Oh, and there are far more subtle ways of refusing a request that telling someone to f*** off. I'm not a subtle person, sorry, I didn't think of something else at the moment.
Well, no one seems to agree with me, I think I'll have to get used to it.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-30-2015 at 12:13 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I don't care for beaches, maybe that's why I don't see the problem. If a guy, whoever that guy is, and if he has the money, he can do whatever he wants. Local people will just have to go to another beach or stop going to that beach for that month. I really don't see where the big deal is. If my public park were closed for a month because of some rich person, then so be it, for me it's the same. I understand other people views seriously, but well, no need for so much blah blah and complains IMHO.
Well bending over for rich foreigners isn't very French I'm afraid.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Well bending over for rich foreigners isn't very French I'm afraid.
Please, tell me what is French for you ? It's not some war you know ? Where you "bend over" to some tyran and you lose the battle. The guy is propably going to buy lots of things, so why are people complaining ? It's always like that it seems, foreigners are making comments on a thing that doesn't happen in their country, they're offended and whatever but it doesn't even concern them. It's SO funny.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Please, tell me what is French for you ? It's not some war you know ? Where you "bend over" to some tyran and you lose the battle. The guy is propably going to buy lots of things, so why are people complaining ? It's always like that it seems, foreigners are making comments on a thing that doesn't happen in their country, they're offended and whatever but it doesn't even concern them. It's SO funny.
Well, "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" for one thing. I guess if French people don't care about that anymore than who am I to judge.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Well, "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" for one thing. I guess if French people don't care about that anymore than who am I to judge.
Okay, at this point I don't even know what to say...

Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Okay, at this point I don't even know what to say...
Me neither. Even in money worshipping, grossly unequal america a rich guy can't buy the public beach.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Me neither. Even in grossly unequal america a rich guy can't buy the public beach.
France isn't America. People really need to stop comparing countries and continents, a thing work in a certain way in a country and in another way in another. It's not the end of the French people just because some RICH guy ask for a beach (just in front of his villa if I'm not wrong) to be closed. If some persons want to make a big deal out of it, it isn't my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe