Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM

257 posts, read 517,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened one View Post
How different are the peoples of both Countries. The cuisine, music scene, Architecture etc?
The main difference between our nations is in my opinion how we perceive religion. The Czechs like to think, some of us even brag about it, that we are the least religious nation in the world. In fact we are like third or fourth least religious group on the surface of this planet. Compare these numbers with neighbouring countries. This is something that makes us quite different from other Slavic groups. Slovakia, on the other hand, is quite religious. Something like Poland but not that much. I suspect this was one of the reasons why Czechoslovakia broke up. It is not like it is an official reason but here, for instance, gay people can get registered and I believe that this would not be possible at all if we were under one flag with the Slovaks.

As for the architecture, somebody already pointed out that while the Czech part has been heavily influenced by Austria and Germany, Slovakia was fighting for 1000 years with the Hungarians. I can not speak for Slovakia, but the German influence, especially in architecture, is quite obvious when you are in The Czech Republic. Look at pictures of Prague. That is the best example. Or google Cesky Krumlov or Kromeriz. Those towns are quite small but you can find really nice architecture there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 37,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofan View Post
This is offtopic but since we´re talking about Czechs, I´ve become interested in Czech Republic recently, I think it´s a great country developing very well, very civilized, doesn´t care about religion and would be one of my first choices if I were to immigrate.

I don´t´know if there is someone here familiarized with the country but as a regular portuguese (middle-class) would it be a good choice for immigration (GDP is similar and cost of living is lower from what i saw)? And if so what are the best cities? Is a degree obligatory? And is the cost of life more or less stable at the moment or is too much on the rise already?
Right now it is probably the best time to move imho. Economy looks good and unemployment is 2nd lowst in EU and Prague have the lowest unemployment from all EU regions. There are cca 150k open jobs right now. For foreiginer the best choice is obviously Prague, only "big" city or. Brno with their IT sector.

Job market is actually that good right now that degree is not required, Your big plus are lanugages(pt,eng) sincethere are big corporations in Prague who needs people with language skills. To the living standards, they are obviously lower than in Western Europe. You can expect 1.2k euro/month as Your first job. Rent is cca 300e for small apartment neet the centrum. Food, beer, alcohol and transportaion are really cheap and You get food vouchers for supermakets and restaurants as benefit.

Czech websites like jobs.cz and expats.cz

Cheers

Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,638,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think Internationally Slovakia is still more known than "The 4 M's" Malta, Montenegro, Macedonia, Moldova and "The 4 L's" Luxembourg, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Latvia.

Also more known than Estonia, Andorra and San Marino.

How many people outside Europe really know Northern Ireland, Wales, Luxembourg, Monaco and Belarus?
I feel many think NI is part of Ireland, Wales part of England, Luxembourg part of Belgium, Monaco part of France and Belarus part of Russia.
I can only speak for Americans (and even then I'm grossly over generalizing), but my sense is all of the countries you name are somewhat unknown except Lithuania and Latvia. Older Americans might not be able to tell the difference between them, but they do have a sense of the Baltic region. There was a fair amount of news stories on the Balts during the Cold War era. I was a child at the time, but I remember thinking of the Balts as a separatist region of the USSR. Now I understand they are entirely different countries that were forced into the union against their will, but at the time I thought they were just odd freedom-loving Soviets.

I still don't have a good sense of what distinguishes Latvia from Lithuania, but I think I have a general sense of what makes Estonia unique -- advanced cyber culture, proximity to Finland and a semi-Scandinavian outlook. I know either Latvia or Lithuania has a fairly large Russian minority population which causes internal issues, but I can never remember which is which.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:47 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I know either Latvia or Lithuania has a fairly large Russian minority population which causes internal issues, but I can never remember which is which.
I think Latvia because 26% there is Russian, in Lithuania only 6%.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:12 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcricket300 View Post
Slovakia must be the most irrelevant country in Europe. I bet most people outside Europe don't even know it exists.
yeah, because they don't have anything that made them famous.

No cool cars.
No special dish
No big movie industry.
No super smart inventors of anything.
They don't travel as much so you hardly ever run into any.
They don't start stupid wars.
They don't get involved in other countries business
They are not rich
They don't have any scandals or mass murdering
No terrorist groups operate from there

Overall, the media doesn't report anything from there.

They just seem to exist. I wish every country would be so humble.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,289 times
While most dialects of Czech and Slovak are mutually intelligible, eastern Slovak dialects are less intelligible to speakers of Czech; they differ from Czech and from other Slovak dialects, and mutual contact between speakers of Czech and speakers of the eastern dialects is limited.
Czech exists in two forms (excluding local dialects): literary Czech and colloquial Czech. The standard Slovak language is closer to literary Czech, especially in phonology and morphology. The differences between parts of the vocabulary of some Slovak dialects are rather big, comparable to the differences between standard Slovak and Czech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe