Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 02:34 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,700 times

Advertisements

This thread is dedicated to all the people who have spent a period of their life, even briefly, in the city of Venice.
what are the strengths and weaknesses that you have encountered in the Venetians, on the other hand your impressions about the Europeans and the Italians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
This thread is dedicated to all the people who have spent a period of their life, even briefly, in the city of Venice.
what are the strengths and weaknesses that you have encountered in the Venetians, on the other hand your impressions about the Europeans and the Italians
Can't say that I know today's "Venetians" as such well enough to describe their strengths and weaknesses. The city of Venice itself is still exciting, still a unique place in the world: it seems like the buildings sway as the sea stays still.

As you know, the original Venetians were remnants of Romans on the run from the invaders, - e.g. Goths, Huns, i.e. the pre-cursors to the Europeans - of the 400s. In effect, they settled a new and very-difficult-to access-territory, actually a series of islands: the invaders of the 400s were not very good at navigation.

On that basis, the Venetians built a central/eastern Mediterranean sea-faring, trade-based empire, successfully negotiating as an independent power between Constantinople and Rome, Rome and Charlemagne and his descendants, i.e. the Europeans.

They even held their own for a while against the Ottomans, but it was a great struggle, and they had to turn inland, reaching as far as Bergamo, the famous lions, and so also holding their own against the European invaders of the 1500s.

That is, until Napoleon put paid to that old world once and for all in, what was it, 1797.

[By the way, the Venetians were great thieves of Constantinople, and Napoleon a great thief of Venice, just go to the Louvre to see what I am talking about.]

Italy, then, for the most part, has been a province of Europe since the 1500s. The Kingdom of Italy and the contemporary Italian Republican are a great disappointment. Yes, they have enjoyed success in bringing industrialization and widespread welfare to the territory, but it could have been a lot better.

Expectations are now low for a reason, sad and boring.

Better to live a thousand years as a lion than one day as a sheep.

My favorite Venetian island is Torcello.

Good luck, miticoman, good luck.

Last edited by bale002; 08-12-2015 at 04:36 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 AM

185 posts, read 258,778 times
Wait... How do Eurasians relate to this? Eurasia is the big island comprising what is known as the old world.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:06 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulta View Post
Wait... How do Eurasians relate to this? Eurasia is the big island comprising what is known as the old world.
Riddle me this: is the Mediterranean Asian, European or African?

And where does Asia end and Europe begin? Where were the Goths, Huns and Turks from?

For a thousand years, forgotten, Venice was independent among them all.

Last edited by bale002; 08-12-2015 at 05:25 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 AM

185 posts, read 258,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Riddle me this: is the Mediterranean Asian, European or African?

And where does Asia end and Europe begin? Where were the Goths, Huns and Turks from?

For a thousand years, forgotten, Venice was independent among them all.
Then the correct term wouldn't be Eurasians but Afro-Eurasia

Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,399,700 times
To bale002

Well Stated my friend, if you have occasion to take a vacation it might be a good choise an ancient monastery it is run by the monks with a reserved area used as bed and breakfast,it's very cheap, you can have a great service, you might hiking, by canoe, the lagoon,l reccomend with a guide the place is wild and dangerous, there are many archaeological finds, if you find something.. have to hand it over to the museum.
In the last century a German writer Hermann Hesse used to do this kind of holiday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe