Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 07:43 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times

Advertisements

My wife and I cashed in frequent flier miles, and we are going to Europe over New Years. We are flying into Brussels, arriving on 12/26, and flying back to the states from Lisbon, Portugal on January 7th.

We haven't nailed down the rest of our itinerary yet, but, we want to celebrate New Years somewhere fun! Usually in bed by 10pm on New Years, so, we have decided that this year will be different!

New years Eve.. We are debating between Amsterdam or Barcelona.

We both have been to Amsterdam a few times before, including earlier this year. Never have been to Barcelona, but, did go to Madrid earlier this year and had a great time.

Pros for Amsterdam
Party atmosphere of the town (have also read that NYE is a blast there)
The ease of getting around and the comfort factor of knowing how to get around and where to go
Easier to get to from Belgium, will probably spend 3 nights in Belgium, and possibly 1 night in Bruges or Rotterdam.

Pros for Barcelona
Never been before!
Cheaper than Amsterdam

Any insight or thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
Barcelona is probably way more party than Amsterdam, and Barcelona is almost twice as populated. I'd go there.

However, Amsterdam is overland distance to Brussels, and there's some day trips available all over the place. So you have to balance out which means more to you in those terms. You could still probably score a cheapish flight to Barcelona on Easyjet or Ryanair from Brussels. Given that it's winter and nobody would typically visit Spain for touristic purposes, it shouldn't be expensive.

Actually, now that I think of it, if you're flying out of Lisbon, I don't see the benefit of making this a regional trip. Mine as well just go to Barcelona, and then maybe consider travelling overland through the peninsula to Portugal if anything. To me, it's a much more fascinating area, both in terms of landscape and culture.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:22 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Europe doesn't have New Year's Eve because of metricism

Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Europe doesn't have New Year's Eve because of metricism
And ..... they correctly call it Old Years Eve !!!

So yes you are right ... NO New Years Eve in Europe.
Sorry. Need to find another destination now !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe