Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:42 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this would belong here or in the Fashion forum, but it's pretty geographically specific. So here we are :

Why on earth are clothes so expensive in Europe? They're obscenely expensive. Even accounting for quality, materials, etc., they're at least twice as expensive as in North America. What is the reason? Tariffs? Taxes? EU restrictions? I just don't understand this. Why do Europeans accept this? I'm genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, one reason is that the US produces/sells a lot of cr@p. Good-quality, well-designed clothes in the US are also twice as expensive as most US clothes, or more. Designer labels cost many times more than the cheap stuff you see in most stores.

I've heard that the Swedish label H & M is one of Europe's bargain-basement labels, price-wise. People say the items don't last longer than a season or a year, too. So you get what you pay for.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:06 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
I don't know, but what you're saying is the truth. When my husband's brother and sister-in-law visit us from Germany (usually every summer), they buy their kids' entire school wardrobes for the coming year, as well as some clothing for themselves, because it's so much cheaper in the US.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, one reason is that the US produces/sells a lot of cr@p. Good-quality, well-designed clothes in the US are also twice as expensive as most US clothes, or more. Designer labels cost many times more than the cheap stuff you see in most stores.

I've heard that the Swedish label H & M is one of Europe's bargain-basement labels, price-wise. People say the items don't last longer than a season or a year, too. So you get what you pay for.
Ok, I'm not just comparing apples to oranges, here: online H&M has the exact same dress sold on their France website for 14,99 Euros, and $14.99 on their Canadian website--with the exchange rate, that's half the price in Canada. It's cheaper for someone in France to order clothing online from Canada and have it mailed to them, than to get it from a shop in France. (Edited: I just noticed that you can't order online from H&M Canada's website. Pity--they might receive a lot of European orders! )

France's Monoprix sells low-quality clothes for twice what someone could pay for similar articles in "fast fashion" shops in Canada, such as H&M, Forever 21, etc. The better-quality clothing--let's say a mid-price brand like Levi's--easily sells for double the price in Europe as in North America. That's just denim. Check out the prices online at Galeries Lafayette, versus what you'd pay for identical articles in North America. Obscene differences. Why?

Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Ok, I'm not just comparing apples to oranges, here: online H&M has the exact same dress sold on their France website for 14,99 Euros, and $14.99 on their Canadian website--with the exchange rate, that's half the price in Canada. It's cheaper for someone in France to order clothing online from Canada and have it mailed to them, than to get it from a shop in France.

France's Monoprix sells low-quality clothes for twice what someone could pay for similar articles in "fast fashion" shops in Canada, such as H&M, Forever 21, etc. The better-quality clothing--let's say a mid-price brand like Levi's--easily sells for double the price in Europe as in North America. That's just denim. Check out the prices online at Galeries Lafayette, versus what you'd pay for identical articles in North America. Obscene differences. Why?
Could be the tax structure over there, in part?

BTW, I've found clothes to be much cheaper in Canada than in the US. Of course, it depends on the exchange rate, but still--when things go on "sale" in Canada, the price reductions seem much greater than in the US. Generally speaking.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Ok, I'm not just comparing apples to oranges, here: online H&M has the exact same dress sold on their France website for 14,99 Euros, and $14.99 on their Canadian website--with the exchange rate, that's half the price in Canada.
The French price already includes VAT, the Canadian price doesn't. Also, consider that the exchange rate dropped significantly over the last couple of months/years. So, using your little example:

14.99 CAD + 18% (5% GST and 13% Ontario HST) = 17.6882 CAD

17.6882 CAD in Euros using an exchange rate of 0.670408734 (Sep 2, 2015): 11.8583238 Euros

Back in April the exchange rate was significantly better (0.7614064): 13.4679086845 Euros

Back in 2012 the exchange rate was at 0.82267: 14.551551494 Euros (basically the same price as in Europe)

As you can see, the lower prices are the product of the VAT not being displayed on Canadian websites and a pretty ****ty euro/CAD exchange rate at the moment.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:15 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,177 times
In France if you know where to look, you can have this jean http://static.kiabi.com/images/jean-...140_12_pr2.jpg for ten euros and this t-shirt http://static.kiabi.com/images/tee-s...d710_3_pr2.jpg for 8... even for me and my mother it is "okay" prices...

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
It's not just clothing, other categories too, food, household, electronic etc. Sales tax (VAT) is biggest most obvious reason, but there are others too.

An item priced at $100 will cost you $105-$108 approx. An item priced at E150 includes an average VAT of 22% and means the retailer pockets E125 approx. Other reasons include higher costs associated with employment, and terminating employees. Because it's more densely populated real estate costs are significantly higher, maybe 2-3 times higher.

Also, because of the segmentation of the different national markets due to language and cultural differences, the same economies of scale that are available in the US are not achievable in the EU. E.G. there are only so many items in an obscure color that need to have their care labels, content details, operating instructions, produced in Swedish, Bulgarian etc.

Because economies of scale are not as easily achievable, there is greater emphasis on an alternative profit strategy, increased pricing due to real or perceived exclusivity.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:11 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
In France if you know where to look, you can have this jean http://static.kiabi.com/images/jean-...140_12_pr2.jpg for ten euros and this t-shirt http://static.kiabi.com/images/tee-s...d710_3_pr2.jpg for 8... even for me and my mother it is "okay" prices...

I agree. Clothing in the USA is cheaper, but that cheap stuff lack on quality. If you want top fashion labels, made from the best fabrics, quality finish, superior fit, European fashion collection, and classy look - you pay for all that.
But you could shop in outlets, look for seasonal bargains, settle for less known brands or designer knockoffs, and you pay much, much less.

On the travel sites you can often find a section with fashion advice: how to avoid looking like an American. There is surely reason for that.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:24 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Cheap is cheap no matter where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe