Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM

504 posts, read 465,213 times

Advertisements

We are told that the UK does more online shopping than any other country on the planet, America included.

This is very bad news for me, as I own a business and most of our products go into the shopfitting industry. Less shops = less cash for me!

More and more people order their weekly groceries online, to be delivered. The big UK supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Waitrose) are all struggling like crazy against the foreign discounters Aldi and Lidl but are all committed to the online market, from which they make no profit as they cannot charge anything like the real cost of assembling customers' orders and delivering them to their home. A Tesco spokesman said recently that they'd love to get out of online grocery shopping if they could, but as everyone else (but not the discounters, of course) was doing it, they had to too. Personally, I like to see, smell and feel what I buy.

Do other Europeans order their weekly shopping online? How popular is this elsewhere? Incidentally - I'm not talking DVDs from Amazon - I'm talking potatoes and sausages and toilet rolls!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:07 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
I sometimes order some groceries from www.allyouneedfresh.com which is in Germany but sends groceries to some EU countries but no fresh produce no frozen due to perishable and no liquor/alcohol because of VAT/tax difference between countries. Like Cointreau is 7 euro cheaper in Germany compared to where I am.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:07 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,791,310 times
Ordering groceries online is great for those in big cities who don't have a car. Sure beats lugging a ton of grocery bags or carts home from the store.

If I recall correctly, Amazon isn't in all European countries yet. When we lived in The Netherlands, we'd order stuff off of the Amazon.de and Amazon.co.uk sites, which delivered with no problem.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:33 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,794 times
AH offers home delivery of groceries for a price of 5 euros but you need to order for at least 70 euros. I looked into it but it is not worth it, we usually spend no more than 25 euros so we'd have to stock up a huge supply of non perishable items. Electronics, houshold appliances, toys, etc I buy online.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:42 PM

545 posts, read 866,336 times
I don't know anyone who does it here. But many stores offer free delivery if you spend at least 50 euros. Quite a lot of people use it actually. Of course stores such as Lidl don't do this. In the countryside some people order online but pick up the food in a special area behind the store.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,522 times
We order everything online.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
No online shopping for that sort of things here.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,927 times
There is online shopping for groceries, but it's not very popular. It's mostly done by people that have a hard time leaving their home (elderly, ...).

The new thing is to just shop at the supermarket and leave the shopping cart there. They'll then deliver your groceries before 17:00. Perfect for people living in the city centre.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:39 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,401 times
I don't think it's very popular in the NL. I think AH is the only one that offers it, and that's one of the most expensive stores. And also, Dutch are way to greedy to pay for the extra € 5,-

I order lots of stuff online, but never groceries.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:06 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,258,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
I don't think it's very popular in the NL. I think AH is the only one that offers it, and that's one of the most expensive stores. And also, Dutch are way to greedy to pay for the extra € 5,-

I order lots of stuff online, but never groceries.
That's funny! They won't pay the delivery fees!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe