Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

It's much easier to assimilate different people into an immigration country, which did not even exist before immigration. There is nothing bigger to integrate into, so to speak, but simply fusion. Blacks and whites arrived more or less at the same time, yet they still dislike each other and with every case of police violence that rift becomes obvious again.

That is very different from the situation in European countries such as France, Britain or Germany, where there has already been an old specific culture when immigration started.

It actually shows that the US has done a poor job given how easy it could have been. Blacks were not even Muslims.

I think Canada's experience is much more interesting in that respect, they have much more experience with the integration of Muslim immigrants and they are doing a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 11:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You realise that the Conservatives are in power in Germany, right?
And you realize McCain encouraged illegals for decades while professing faux outrage. His state would have collapsed had he shut the gate on those willing to work in the aggra industry for slave wages.

There is no difference in liberal or conservative when it comes to padding their own accounts or seeking group votes.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:03 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

It actually shows that the US has done a poor job given how easy it could have been. Blacks were not even Muslims.

I think Canada's experience is much more interesting in that respect, they have much more experience with the integration of Muslim immigrants and they are doing a good job.
Black immigrants to the U.S. are actually very well integrated, unlike Europe.

And most Middle Eastern migrants to Canada are Christian, same as in the U.S. it isn't surprising that they integrate quite easily. In contrast the vast majority of Middle Eastern migrants to Europe are Muslim.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:13 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It's much easier to assimilate different people into an immigration country, which did not even exist before immigration. There is nothing bigger to integrate into, so to speak, but simply fusion. Blacks and whites arrived more or less at the same time, yet they still dislike each other and with every case of police violence that rift becomes obvious again.

That is very different from the situation in European countries such as France, Britain or Germany, where there has already been an old specific culture when immigration started.

Canada has a population of what - 2% Muslims? And they are people with university degrees who passed extensive immigration test and moved to a country where it is much harder to get "free" handouts. They are not comparable to Europe's numerous illiterate refugees.

I'm not sure what having an established old world culture had to do with it. European integration has been an abysmal failure, despite having a relatively small percentage of minorities divided into a number of cultural groups. Having a homogenous country to immigrate to doesn't seem to have been much of a help, if anything it has helped minorities deel like they can never be a "real" German, Frenchman, Swede, etc. This is not the casein America, Brazil, and other heterogenous new world countries.

Anyhow, it will be fascinating to see how the situation in Germany plays out, though I fear that many naive Germans welcoming this mass of migrants are in for a rude shock.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
The vast majority of blacks in the US are not immigrants, but people whose ancestors have lived there as long as white people's ancestors.

Recent black immigrants to the US are often from the elite in Africa and elsewhere. That is not the case with black immigrants in Europe.

Many of the Syrians migrants are also Christian.
And Canada does have about 3% Muslims, which is halfway between the US (less than 1%) and Germany (5%).
It also depends on where Muslims come from and why. Germany's Muslims are mostly Turks, whose ancestors came from the poorest regions of Turkey.
Syrians are often educated people.

I don't know which group will have a harder time in Europe: Syrians or Africans. I assume Syrians because despite a certain racism (which obviously hurts black people more that Syrians who look similar to other Mediterraneans including Europeans) black people are not considered potential terrorists.

There was an article earlier this year which said that in Germany most HR people don't even read CV's of people with first names such as Ali, Mohamed, etc. till the end.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:28 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And this is absolutely hilarious. Yes, it's Obama's fault that ISIS is beheading Danish moms. Blame Obama for not taking action in Syria (but, of course, if the U.S. did take action in Syria, you would blame the U.S. all the same).
Obama (or better, the US government) has HUGE faults in the ME situation and their stance is ambiguous at best, accomplice of Islamic extremism at worst.
This doesn't mean an American cannot express his/her opinion or that it's only a fault of the US.
France and the UK bear LOTS of responsibilities, so do those disgusting scum of the Gulf monarchies and Saudi Arabia.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the usa caused this refugee crisis by invading iraq and destabalising the entire region , the usa should be taking all these refugees from syria and iraq
Hell yeah! They created at least half of the mess, now the EU has to suffer and then ignorant Americans say it is their fault??? The US is the big power that has to have their hands in every country and thinks they can dictate the whole world and stir things up.

How can you be so ignorant and blame Europe, OP???

Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Hell yeah! They created at least half of the mess, now the EU has to suffer and then ignorant Americans say it is their fault??? The US is the big power that has to have their hands in every country and thinks they can dictate the whole world and stir things up.

How can you be so ignorant and blame Europe, OP???
Obama's big mistake was supporting the Arab Spring. He basically gave a bunch or radicals a green light to topple governments. It happened in Syria and so Assad defended his place and attacked the protesters which started a civil war. Among the chaos ISIS emerged. And dont fool yourself, Saudis are supporting them. Turkey is turning a blind eye as well. The US foolishly chose radicals over Assad and ISIS got some of the weapons and supplies. Either way, the Iraq invasions would not have had any influence on the Arab Spring which has seen Syria, Egypt, Tunisia, Libya all fall apart. I believe France was the first to get into Libya and convinced the US to get on board as well. Either way allowing dictators to leave has created a large power vacuum and extremist are happy to fill it. Say what you want about the Iraq invasion, but Obama's foreign policy has been a massive disaster.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:17 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,605,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The United States won't be bailing Europe out for its mistakes again.
nobody asked you to.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:48 AM

119 posts, read 207,154 times
I think Europe is simply not as anti-Muslim as the United States is. Many have had Muslims living among them for centuries. Even Berlin had a Mosque during Nazi times. On the other hand, what does worry me is what will happen when there are no jobs for all these people? How will they be welcomed, when people think they are taking away jobs.

I find it funny when people say Europe must learn from America. In the US there is still much racial as well as religious bigotry. I see it all around me,all the time. What about this whole anti-immigrant thing that's currently going on, with Trump and the other Republican candidates? Oh yes, that's right Americans are a "melting pot" Tell me another funny story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe