Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 AM

3 posts, read 4,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Not my experience, sorry. I met too many couples where the man was white American and the woman was French. The man generally spoke French with the French woman, but often had not mastered it (unless they were there to study French or linguistics or something related). I also knew French men with American girlfriends (two couples ended up marrying), and all the women had mastered French in most cases. Germany is a country where you typically see more black American men and white German women. In France, no -- there were plenty of white American men with French girlfriends.
Well, its not like it would be easy to tell based on appearance alone so at this point we would have to rely on experiences of the French residents themselves. I guess a better thing to look for is what nationality French women go for other than French men, I found that Spaniards and Italians were very sought after. French women with Arab/Middle Eastern men was also surprisingly common from my experience.

Most of the Asian or Black American men I knew that went to France managed to do quite well for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battinrouge2 View Post
these days that is, not historically but just something I have noticed

Is there some sort of a stigma towards going for an American guy in France or something?

Also, just my experience or are French women just a lot more open to going for guys of minority groups (black, brown, asian) than their Anglo sisters?
I take it that you are a white guy?

In my experience, every kind of guy who goes abroad looking to get laid (or a girlfriend), usually blames their nationality/race for why they can't get laid abroad (or find a girlfriend).

It could be because of a host of different factors. As a general rule, it should be a LITTLE easier than back home. But, as a general rule, if it's hard for someone to find a girlfriend/boyfriend/a quick lay back home, it'll be almost as difficult abroad (unless you know the foreign culture enough to navigate, and can overcome the same issues you'd have with the same topic back home).

If someone can easily find a bf/gf/quick lay back home, it'll probably be slightly easier abroad due to the novelty addition, to their other 'attracting that back home' skills.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:02 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
There's a cultural and language barrier but in my life, I've seen more American men with French women than the reverse.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battinrouge2 View Post
Well, its not like it would be easy to tell based on appearance alone so at this point we would have to rely on experiences of the French residents themselves. .
Not if you speak French fluently (which I do) and lived in French society (I did) rather than within the American expat community (which I didn't). I knew and noticed plenty of Franco-American couples in Paris, and most of the American partners spoke French in France.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:59 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
NO.
There is so many misconceptions about French people on here that I'm not even sure what to say.
I spent more than a week in France (Paris and the south) and always tried to speak my far from fluent French, and there was only once a Frenchman switched to English with me. All the others are very nice and patient.

Americans/Anglophones when visiting France should understand the fact that if you speak English in France and the French people responded in English, they are essentially doing you a HUGE FAVOR by accommodating your need, that they are being nice, not because "English is an international language and everyone should know it and willing to speak it".

I hate the comment that "the French are rude because they don't want to speak English although they know how to". So what? They are French and they are France. It is their right not to speak YOUR language.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:10 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
The only discriminating factor would be the linguistic barrier: generally it's much more common to have an American not speaking French than a French not speaking English, so it obviously hampers an eventual relationship if they are going to stay in France, even if she/he speaks English.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM

35 posts, read 33,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
The way English is taught in school isn't great I think. Well it wasn't great when I was in collège. Too much emphazise on writing and grammar and not on speaking. For example I can write English but not speak it. But what the other poster said is a bit inconsiderate IMHO. You're in France, speak French or at least try. It's not because English is "the global language" that all the other languages should be forgotten. If I were to go to the USA, I'm sure everyone would expect me to speak English, so why when some person go to France, they have to complain on why no one there speak English to their liking? L'hôpital qui se fout de la charité, right ?

Sorry.
I mean I have learned 2 other languages in the countries that I have lived in. I don't demand anybody to speak the English. I'm just pointing out that every other country I've been in, I have never had this problem except for France. I actually like that they try to preserve their culture. I think you mis understood the tone of my message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:23 PM

545 posts, read 866,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This was always my perception and understanding throughout the years; that foreigners (but in particular Americans) just could not speak French well enough to be easily understood. That instead, they would prefer you don't speak to them at all if you could not be fluent and understood. But again as I say it was only what I had heard from well travelled family members.

Does it irritate French people when someone tries to speak the French language?

So when speaking to a Frenchman, your safest bet may be to try some of your best French and throw in some practiced phrases about your ambition to become fluent in his beautiful language, and how sorry you are for any mistakes you may make. If you need to speak English in his country, have the courtesy to ask whether he minds first.

https://www.quora.com/Does-it-irrita...rench-language
Truth is if just one French does't speak english, the whole group will speak french and english only when speaking to the english speaker. Unlike some other countries where everyone switch to English when there is even just one english speaker. It's kind of an unconscious thing. That's why if you live there, you really need to learn the language.

But to answer your question, it doesn't irritate French to try, even badly, to speak french, they'll mostly like it. It will irritate "us" much more if you start speaking english from the beginning. And if the French see you're struggling and is confident enough in its english, he will switch to it by himself.

American complaining tend to forget that we don't speak to strangers as easily as in America. It certainly bother many people if a stranger just start a conversation without any obvious reason, it's seen as something rude and a bit aggressive.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I spent more than a week in France (Paris and the south) and always tried to speak my far from fluent French, and there was only once a Frenchman switched to English with me. All the others are very nice and patient.

Americans/Anglophones when visiting France should understand the fact that if you speak English in France and the French people responded in English, they are essentially doing you a HUGE FAVOR by accommodating your need, that they are being nice, not because "English is an international language and everyone should know it and willing to speak it".

I hate the comment that "the French are rude because they don't want to speak English although they know how to". So what? They are French and they are France. It is their right not to speak YOUR language.
Are you angry at me or something or your post is for everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA&France View Post
I mean I have learned 2 other languages in the countries that I have lived in. I don't demand anybody to speak the English. I'm just pointing out that every other country I've been in, I have never had this problem except for France. I actually like that they try to preserve their culture. I think you mis understood the tone of my message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,784 times
I don't know what experiences others have with this but French girls from my experience are definitely open to experimenting with guys of non-white races. As an Asian American (Japanese) that has been to various European countries, I found that French girls were very open to going for me. I've known latinos and other Asians who have had the same experiences in the country, it was a lot easier than being in the USA.

Of all the western European women, I did get the impression that French women were the most open minded about hooking up with various non-white races. Not sure why that is but I am happy for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe