Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 12:42 PM

111 posts, read 110,825 times

Advertisements

My American best friend just met this super sweet German guy the went on one date, she says guy didn't ry to kiss her and he was a true gentleman through the date ..

She does like the guy so all is cool.... BUt.... he has invited her to travel to Provence in October. He sent her the airplane tickets today while we were at the hair salon here in Washington and also texted her asking her If she wants to stay in same room with him or if she prefers her own room that either way is fine with him.

What do you think? In my opinion, he sounds like a gentleman, but she doesn't know what to do and not sure what to adviser... What do you think?

Maybe is wrong to go on a trip right away? Am I being closed minded?

Perhaps in Europe this is more normal? more open minded society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 01:02 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,497 times
This is not really a normal way to build a relation where I come from. No matter how open minded, most girls would want to get to know that guy better before going on a trip together.

I'd advise her not to go, and tell him straight up she feels it's to soon for that. If he's really that much of a gentlemen, he'd have to understand and respect that.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:09 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagifted View Post
My American best friend just met this super sweet German guy the went on one date, she says guy didn't ry to kiss her and he was a true gentleman through the date ..

She does like the guy so all is cool.... BUt.... he has invited her to travel to Provence in October. He sent her the airplane tickets today while we were at the hair salon here in Washington and also texted her asking her If she wants to stay in same room with him or if she prefers her own room that either way is fine with him.

What do you think? In my opinion, he sounds like a gentleman, but she doesn't know what to do and not sure what to adviser... What do you think?

If I were her I'd say yes.
I'm not really in the south of France but the lavender fields of Provence are awesome, at least if it goes bad she will still have that.

-- I'm not a good adviser.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:45 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:

Normally, people ask "would you like to go" FIRST, and THEN send the air tickets. Or not)))

Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:

One possibility she's smoking hot and he wants to have sex a lot of sex with her. Another possibility is he is slime and thinks she is gullible and may sell her to a prostitution ring. Perhaps she should do a background check on him either way she is engaging in risky behavior she doesn't know this man.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,860,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
One possibility she's smoking hot and he wants to have sex a lot of sex with her. Another possibility is he is slime and thinks she is gullible and may sell her to a prostitution ring. Perhaps she should do a background check on him either way she is engaging in risky behavior she doesn't know this man.
I was thinking the same thing, almost sounds like the plot for one of Liam Neeson's Taken movies, I would advise her not to go, but invite him to come to the states, and maybe do a background check.

bill

Old 09-21-2015, 04:53 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I was thinking the same thing, almost sounds like the plot for one of Liam Neeson's Taken movies, I would advise her not to go, but invite him to come to the states, and maybe do a background check.

bill
Loved the Taken series.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:40 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,262,503 times
If I were her i'd invite him to America and bring someone else to see him. It sounds fishy that he would book the tickets for her, after barely knowing her.

This is not normal in "Europe"

Old 09-21-2015, 07:11 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,538,181 times
One time I was on a trip in Germany, met up with a girl I met once in Nicaragua, and when we went out one night, we ended up kissing. I think we hung out two more nights after that until I had to leave Germany. She came to my house in Canada three months later and stayed for an entire month.

It's possible, but be careful I guess.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:

This isn't a 'close-minded' or 'open-minded' argument.

This is a 'am I ready for sex with him or not?' argument, which has nothing to do with being open-minded or closed-minded. It's also a 'Should I trust this guy?' argument, which also has nothing to do with being open-minded or closed-minded either.

Also, just because Germany is a country in Europe; doesn't mean that the exact same situation doesn't occur all the time in USA. Tons of American men try to bring some girl they barely know to the Caribbean or somewhere like that, just the same. To have reservations, doesn't mean that the person is 'closed-minded'.

To have reservations means you are an intelligent person who is thinking it through.

But, in some ways, this type of scenario means either a few different things:
1) Guy wants to accelerate this possible relationship greatly. Either get quickly into relationship mode, either genuinely or sexually; with the usual ending that occurs after any relationship; but more accelerated. Probably ends with never seeing each other again, or arrange other one-offs like this, at other times.
2) Guy is 'in a way' paying for sex. You get to have this great vacation with me, and we get together sexually. This kind of ties into a potentially 'other times we'll do this too' scenario. Or it's a 'never see you again' scenario.
3) Girl accepts this as 'I put out, but I get a free vacation' scenario....but with the remote possibility, this could go into something more.
4) Girl accepts this as a 'date', but tries to keep everything platonic and acts shocked if the guy doesn't see it that way as well. She gets to see Provence, but, a bit uncomfortably.

In general, my personal feeling is the guy is ready for some 'action' and this is the quickest way to get to that spot. I don't know if your friend is looking for marriage, but if she is, this route won't lead that way; and the guy who is arranging this, is probably a serial dater/vacationer, who finds this method the best way to 'get a girl quickly'. If your friend is okay with that, then go for it. If she's one of those types who isn't looking for that, than say 'no'.

No judgement either way on her decision. Neither decision equates into 'open-minded'/closed-minded' either. It's just a matter of what she herself actually wants for herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe