Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 03:32 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
It was not so clear.
Really?
Quote:
Plus, it's always like the US have no gain from NATO and just spend and spend on it a lot to protect us coward Europeans, when it's quite evident that either:
1) The US are completely idiotic in their policy
2) NATO does indeed fulfil an interest for the US
Now, tell me how can you possibly misunderstand that paragraph.

Quote:
But, who says that?
Then, why all the whining (not you)?

Quote:
Somewhat. But, Europe benefits far more.
Really?
Like?

Quote:
Europe currently cannot defend itself.
I see you read the topic, exactly, from whom are we supposed to be unable to defend ourselves?

Quote:
Doesn't matter to me. But, I wish the US would spend less. If Europe is dead set on decline, why should the US slow it down?
I don't know, I would like to know why the US have (and are still) supported ISIS or funded the "revolution" in Ukraine for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 03:38 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Now, tell me how can you possibly misunderstand that paragraph.
Because your English is quite good, but, still lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I see you read the topic, exactly, from whom are we supposed to be unable to defend ourselves?
Europe cannot defend itself from any credible threat. Otherwise, why does Europe tolerate NATO?

Now, why don't you tell us how the US benefits so greatly from bankrolling and manning the defense of Europe?

Old 09-25-2015, 03:43 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
France has the nuclear weapon though. I think Britain has a pretty good army. Why do you always think that we need you ?

Old 09-25-2015, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
France has the nuclear weapon though. I think Britain has a pretty good army. Why do you always think that we need you ?
History.

WWI

WWII

USSR

Falkland Islands

Kosovo

Old 09-25-2015, 03:54 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
Now, why don't you tell us how the US benefits so greatly from bankrolling and manning the defense of Europe?
Two major reasons:

1. Logistics
2. Support in International Organizations

Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
The Soviets' WMD were non-existent?
25 years have past and the best argument you can come up with are the Commies? Come on, you can do better.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:01 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,127 times
Quote:
Because your English is quite good, but, still lacking.
Possible and likely, yet it doesn't explain what you misunderstood.

Quote:
Europe cannot defend itself from any credible threat.
Still an unspecified threat so far.
Quote:
Otherwise, why does Europe tolerate NATO?
Various reasons:
1) Most European countries have somehow a common ideology and mentality with the US
2) Most European countries are nonetheless allies of the US
3) Most European countries are politically subservient of the US in many ways
4) Most European countries see nonetheless a gain from being into NATO
5) Most European countries are inside NATO since the beginning of the Cold War (bar France)
6) Most European countries consider the US a good for the world

Just these 6 in the top of my mind, let's take some more time and we'll find 20 other probably.
Quote:
Perhaps the US benefit from having the most important economic centre of the world as an ally?
Perhaps the US benefit from having Europe as an economical and military partner?
Perhaps the US benefit from having Europe on their side rather than on Russia/Iran/name other country
Perhaps the US have always wanted to have Europe firmly in their sphere of influence?
Perhaps the US benefit from somehow "leading" one of the most important rival they could have?
Perhaps the US benefit(ed) from having a stable Europe?
Perhaps the US benefit from having bases all over Europe thus constituting an advanced defensive line rather than solely rely on their territory?
Perhaps the US benefit from having the most advanced armies (after or like the US) in the world as allies?
Perhaps the US benefit from holding tight the countries constituting the core (and the birthplace) of their ideology?
Perhaps the US benefit from having Europe as an ally rather than a rival?
Perhaps the US benefit from trading?

Old 09-25-2015, 04:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
Quote:
History.

WWI

WWII

USSR

Falkland Islands

Kosovo

You guys only come because of economic interests, not for a real reason. WWII became an interest once Pearl Habour happened, right ?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
25 years have past and the best argument you can come up with are the Commies? Come on, you can do better.
Russians.

What, you want to discount the 50 years the US bankrolled and manned the defense of Europe?

Old 09-25-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
You guys only come because of economic interests, not for a real reason. WWII became an interest once Pearl Habour happened, right ?
Europe is not interested in economics?

No. The US was of course interested in helping Europe before Pearl Harbor. And we did so, economically (and you have never repaid us).

Pearl Harbor was the event that got us in to WWII militarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe