Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 10:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Incidently if you're interested the weather here today (50' North) has been 19 degrees C (on my car thermometer lunchtime) and Sunny, I'm off for a pint later and as an (occasional smoker) I will probably sit in the pub garden, I'll let you know if I see anybody 'partying' while I'm there.
Na na na! The party police officer comes and says "good Sir, I see you are having fun. According to the 5498238328238§ of the public disturbance law, it is only allowed to smile from 5pm to 5:30pm Monday-Wednesday. And shouldn't you be at work, as that's the only thing we do. Work, work work. Here's a £50 fine. I have no other option to order you to disperse, or I have to arrest you. And no music in the cell, your cell neighbour might get annoyed".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2015, 10:36 AM

50 posts, read 44,861 times
Ok people, the drama won't last long because I really do have a lot of things in my mind right now far more important than this stupid argument that I don't even understand why it started in the first place x)
I'll only say that I do know you can party on the streets as well although this is not the point at all but whatever. When I was in Switzerland (and it's central europe) I'd party in the streets as well if I could, although most of the time was too cold to be there a long time anyway.

My point (before this whole argument started) was that people's spirit (again, in general) IS different. Social life works in a really different way. If I go to a party alone in Portugal, I'll leave surrounded with new friends. I went to a party alone in Switzerland and I'll say no one even saw me there xD
I'm not saying the WHOLE of Northern Europe is like Switzerland, but I do know that in general, it works in a smilar way (again, I have friends living in northern countries and my sister lived in Sweden). People in the south are much more open to new experiences and new friends and we're much more welcoming and you can say whatever you want about this, you still won't change my mind. There's a lot of foreigners coming here and saying the exact same thing. I know lots of friendly northern europeans, I'm not saying everyone is cold hearted and don't like to have fun... but, in general, it works this way.

Now, if your ofended because you see things diferently, that's really not my problem, especially when I'm called a "stereotype machine" by someone that just called southern women "cross-legged catholic princesses"... I mean, yeah x)

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicms View Post
My point (before this whole argument started) was that people's spirit (again, in general) IS different. Social life works in a really different way. If I go to a party alone in Portugal, I'll leave surrounded with new friends. I went to a party alone in Switzerland and I'll say no one even saw me there xD
I'm not saying the WHOLE of Northern Europe is like Switzerland, but I do know that in general, it works in a smilar way (again, I have friends living in northern countries and my sister lived in Sweden). People in the south are much more open to new experiences and new friends and we're much more welcoming and you can say whatever you want about this, you still won't change my mind. There's a lot of foreigners coming here and saying the exact same thing. I know lots of friendly northern europeans, I'm not saying everyone is cold hearted and don't like to have fun... but, in general, it works this way.
This is true. People in Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia are pretty loyal to their friends and are quite hesitant of expanding their circles. Here you can't expect others to just invite you and be friends the second after. Again exaggerating, in the South it seems that people consider friendships like socks. Something which you have as long as they are useful, and when they are not you toss them away. In the North, friendships are jewels. They are something you cherish and in the best case have for the rest of your life. For that reason you have to work on them yourself too and take initiative, not that people would be hostile to others here. Especially in Scandinavia kids are taught to do-it-yourself from a very early childhood, and it is expected of you also as an adult.

I tell to all people moving here: "don't sit there by yourself and expect a lot of invitations. Take initiative, ask if you can come to the party if you're not invited, go in the group, ring them, facebook them, talk to them. It's you who have to take the first step as an outsider, not their to hand out gratitude". It's simply cultural differences, don't take it as we don't like meeting new people or having new experiences, it's just how the circles work here. And if you are wondering "what if they say no?" They won't, if you aren't an especially repulsive person. It's as much a stigma to say "no, you can't come" as it's in the South.

This actually reminds me of a situation at a former workplace. A friend of mine was to have a party. He posted a note on the public wall of the company: "I HAVE A PARTY ON FRIDAY, ALL WELCOME! IF MANY AVECS CALL >>number<<" and that was pretty much it. He didn't specifically invite anyone, or saying "plz come" to anyone but to friends of ours. He expected maybe 10 people, but in the end there was over 20 people from the workplace. It was just up to workers to take initiative by just arriving or deciding not to come.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM

363 posts, read 480,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Listen to me stereotype machine. Isn't it common knowledge that when you are on holiday, you tend to party more? And believe me, we are too partying on the streets and parks in summer, then go to a nightclub to dance, and after we go back to the park or to an afterparty at someone's place and party some more. Exactly like you do. Nobody gives a damn if someone is partying on the street, you see it every weekend. When it's winter, it doesn't mean that people are just sitting alone in front of the TV. We just take the parties inside! Take a few beers and northerners are as careless as the southerners. And what laws? There's a ban on partying? I know of the ban that it's illegal to buy alcohol after 23:00 from stores in Spain, and botellóns aren't exactly legal either. While here it is! And our women are definitely more easier than your cross-legged catholic princesses.

So please, visit Northern Europe instead of relying on boring stereotypes and hearsay. It will be a real eye-opener for you.
In Bergen, Norway there are no party in the streets, only on the roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UxvLxyV2cY

Old 10-08-2015, 05:06 PM

50 posts, read 44,861 times
Quote:
This is true. People in Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia are pretty loyal to their friends and are quite hesitant of expanding their circles. Here you can't expect others to just invite you and be friends the second after. Again exaggerating, in the South it seems that people consider friendships like socks. Something which you have as long as they are useful, and when they are not you toss them away. In the North, friendships are jewels. They are something you cherish and in the best case have for the rest of your life. For that reason you have to work on them yourself too and take initiative, not that people would be hostile to others here. Especially in Scandinavia kids are taught to do-it-yourself from a very early childhood, and it is expected of you also as an adult.
I don't get why you were arguing with me about parties, saying I had no reason to say what I said, and now you're telling me we only want "friends" if we need them and then we toss them away. What do you base that statement on? I'm not trying to attack you but that's even more stupid than saying we're cross-legged catholic princesses xD
I'm a southern european woman and although you don't know me you can believe me when I say you won't find many people in your life that take friendship as seriously as I do.

We treasure our friends as well as you do and a lot of us are pretty selfless and have a sense of sacrifice when it comes to true friendships. Not all of us of course, but this is really a topic I can't generalize and I don't think it has anything to do with the north or the south x) when I was talking about southern europeans being more open to meeting new people I meant just that. Whether or not some of us value friendships more than others is really an entirely different topic.

What you can say though is that we call everybody a 'friend', and I understand that may be confusing to some people and it may be the reason why you have that idea that we don't take friendship seriously and we're just friends with the entire world. But that's not the way it works really...
We do have a lot of acquaintances everywhere we go, because like I said, we're open to meet lots of different people and I guess overall we just love to socialize. Although, we do know how to distinguish real friends from those we just like to have a good time with. The thing is, at least in Portugal, we call everybody a 'friend'. We just use that word, that's all... but we know what each person represents to us, although we call them all the same way. I'm not sure but it could be a language thing x)
If I go out with a bunch of acquaintances and someone asks me what I did last night I'll say "I was out with friends", even though I may not see them as real friends. It doesn't mean I don't value friendship just because I don't make a point in letting everyone know who my real friends are... as long as they know it, that's what matters x)

Tjua, that's just a bunch of people going crazy x)
Cool sound though

Old 10-09-2015, 03:06 AM

212 posts, read 209,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
More it is like

"We southerners are poor, our countries don't work, we have no hope for the future and even our friends steal from me to get food... Unlike in the bloody cold north. But hey! At least we can have fun and partaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyy!!!!! VAMOS A LA PLAYA AYAYAYYYYYYYY JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJAJJAJAJJAJAJAJJAJAJAJA KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK crazy fun!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡¡

Because the nooooortherners are sooo booring and only working, never talking or partying, and have to follow rules. Like in Sweden the cops say 'åhem, you raised yåur fist in a cheering männer. It's not alloued here in Sverige.' Please say that Northerners can't party or have fun or let loose. Please please pleaseeeee por favor...! If you say that they can, and party as much, we pretty much lose our only purpose of being desperate in the south, and the last glimpse of the sense of superiority we have left."

That is what my inner kitchen psychiologist say, as this same theme just comes around all over and over again.

Now maestro, music and booze! Ok it's Thursday, but why? BECAUSE I CAN!

Southern countries have no quarrel with Sweden, Norway and Danemark, but I don't know why people from your country have such insecurity. You are not so rich and many people don't consider your country Scandinavian or European, just Russian. Your language and your people are different, Finno-Hungric, and most Finno-Hungrics are in Russia. Your country should be part of the Russian Federation, as most ethnic Finns live in Russia. As to being Northeners, more like Russians, Nordics are germanic Scandinavians, those people that produce beautiful walkiries and are not ugly.

My region is richer than Finland and we are not the richest region in Spain. As to Italy, comparing Italy with Finland is just like comparing Paris with Alaska. I think that UE should respect more Russia and stop meddling in their turf and turning them Finland and the Baltic states.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:51 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Oh look more drama ...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Your language
Sheez, don't call it a language. We all know Finnish is just a Russian dialect!

Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Oh look more drama ...
Nah, that was just too poor.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 AM

212 posts, read 209,029 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe