Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For example, what are the greatest artists from Norway? Sweden? Denmark? Iceland? Finland? They almost have zero cultural influence.

Germany/UK have some great artists, but on a per capita basis, and considering the overall contribution, northern Europe pale.
Most of Southern Europe's cultural influence lies in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,433 times
Quote:
Believing blonde means beauty is pure stupidity/cliché. I especially think the associate features such as blonde (very light colored) eye brows every unattractive. Darker hair is more attractive because it provides a contrast of colour.

Judging by pure facial features, I would say northern Europeans (including countries like the Netherlands) are the least attractive in Europe.
It's very subjective. But most people seem to find blondes more beautiful. Although I personally don't, hair color has no direct relation to climate. For example, Saamis have darker hair than most Skandinavians, despite being further north. As for non-Caucasian peoples, blonde people there are unheard at all, including the peoples which live further north and in much colder climates. than Skandinavians (such as Nenets, Chukchi, Inuit etc.). But we're talking only about Europe, anyway.

Quote:
For example, what are the greatest artists from Norway? Sweden? Denmark? Iceland? Finland? They almost have zero cultural influence.

Germany/UK have some great artists, but on a per capita basis, and considering the overall contribution, northern Europe pale.
Modern-day UK is probably the second most culturally influential country after US. It gave a lot of famous writers, such as William Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Agatha Christie, John Tolkien, Joanne Rowling and many, many others. I don't think there are any modern (XX-XXI centuries) Italian books which are as popular as, say, Harry Potter. A lot of famous music was made there by bands such as The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen etc.
As for Nordic countries, they aren't as influential, but still they gave the world some famous bands (ABBA, Nightwish) and books (such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). The word 'zero' is harsh, anyway.

Quote:
You even want to dispute weather... hahaha. 95% of world population prefer sunnier and warmer winters. It is hardly a matter of "Taste".
That's by far the most disputable of your statements. I live in a city with colder winters than most major Northern European cities, and I would say that not everyone here hates cold and snowy winters. May be majority prefers warm weather, I don't have the statistics, but the 95% number is harsh. And Northern Europe is not particularly cold because of the Gulf Stream. Your city, which is quite warm by Canadian standards, is colder in winter than most major Northern European cities, too.

Last edited by Max96; 10-05-2015 at 09:07 AM..

Old 10-05-2015, 09:09 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
As for Nordic countries, they aren't as influential, but still they gave the world some famous bands (ABBA, Nightwish) and books (such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). The word 'zero' is harsh, anyway.
Like Edvard Munch, Ingmar Bergman, Søren Kierkegaard, Edvard Grieg, Knut Hamsun, Björk, H.C. Andersen, Lars Von Trier, Arne Jacobsen, Astrid Lindgren, Tove Jansson, Alvar Aalto, Jean Sibelius.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Like Edvard Munch, Ingmar Bergman, Søren Kierkegaard, Edvard Grieg, Knut Hamsun, Björk, H.C. Andersen, Lars Von Trier, Arne Jacobsen, Astrid Lindgren, Tove Jansson, Alvar Aalto, Jean Sibelius.
That's true, I didn't have to write all of them, I just wrote some examples.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:26 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
I haven't noticed a big bias towards the Southern countries, but as the great empires were Britain, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal... what you learn in school, they take the attention. "Well in the North there were Vikings and nothing did happen after that". The Roman Empire, the Magna Carta, Louis XIV, the Sistine Chapel, da Vinci, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Habsburgs, Columbus, Wellington... ...and the Founding Fathers. The rest of Europe was just a sideshow. And it is partly true. Scandinavia and the Baltic was in the 16-18th the most poor and miserable place in Western Europe. Cold, low population, poor, lacking resources and having much fewer points of interest. But does it mean that we didn't have culture? Of course not. And how about Eastern Europe? That is pretty much just uncharted territory.

When I joined C-D I was amazed how some Americans think that Greece is the cradle of all civilisaition, and everything we have comes from that small country. Well, say in a hypothetical scenario that the Greeks invented the wheel........ but the Germans invented the car. So the credit should go to Greece? Nah, I don't think so.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:33 AM

212 posts, read 209,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It's such a politically incorrect thing to say but Nordic blondes are so hot, both men and women. And they tend to be super fit and tall.
*insert a random drooling gif*

Nordic blondes are "demodé" since the 60's and 70's, at least in southern Europe and elsewhere in western Europe.

Back in those decades, there were no slavic women in western Europe or there were very few (particularly Russian), no Latin girls and people did not travel that much to Asia and Latin America.

Back in those days, the "Latin Lover" (Mediterranean man with lots of hair in the chest) was in fashion in Scandinavian countries, now Latin Lovers are extremelly demodé and Scandinavian girls seem to favour men from Africa or Latin America.

There's no comparison with Slavic girls, they dress hot and have far more impressive bodies, the same goes for some Latin women.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:39 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,319,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

When I joined C-D I was amazed how some Americans think that Greece is the cradle of all civilisaition, and everything we have comes from that small country.
The contemporary country of Greece has nothing to do with it.

It has to do with the romantic fantasies/propaganda of the 18th/19th Century revolutions against European monarchies and the establishment of "democracies" and republics, starting with what became the United States and shortly thereafter France, hence the extolling of ancient Greece and Rome.

That paradigm dominated the core education system for a couple of centuries, those 'some Americans' you refer to are probably older, and that also partially explains why people, including on this forum, fantasize about living in countries like Italy and Greece, Spain and Portugal, but the reality is very often different when it comes to "putting money where your mouth is", as the saying goes.

Anyway, nowadays the Euro-centric view of history is no longer "politically correct" and is no longer taught in schools.

Just today the United States and a bunch of Pacific Rim countries signed an economic partnership agreement.

Just saying.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:46 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
This thread sucks. A lot. Like always when it comes to southern Europe and the people who lives there.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:49 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Quote:
Believing blonde means beauty is pure stupidity/cliché. I especially think the associate features such as blonde (very light colored) eye brows every unattractive. Darker hair is more attractive because it provides a contrast of colour.
Possibly one of the most ridiculous posts on the entire forum.

ALL of it down to your taste, and your taste does not equate to facts. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Give me northern Europe EVERY DAY over the south, where the weather is far too hot, politics too corrupt, bureaucracy stifling (like the weather) and the people less attractive.

As for culture - name me one decent contemporary band or singer from any of the southern countries.

See? That's my opinion. Doesn't decide anything.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:52 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,700 times
Culture = music ? Yeah, okay.

Don't think his post was as ridiculous as some here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe