Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 AM

212 posts, read 209,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Arrived where?

There were no public schools during the Medieval age.

Some pagans knew how to write. Runic script.

There were monastich schools and some medieval cities had public schools paid by the corporation.
Spain, Italy and France were mediterranean countries with Greek colonies that were the ones that brought civilization, including Phoenician colonies 3000 years ago.
Runes are a derivative of Italic alphabets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 02:47 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
There were monastich schools and some medieval cities had public schools paid by the corporation.
Spain, Italy and France were mediterranean countries with Greek colonies that were the ones that brought civilization, including Phoenician colonies 3000 years ago.
Runes are a derivative of Italic alphabets.
France isn't a mediterranean country.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But that's the point, you can't say 'in general' because there is no 'in general', I can't see people in the South 'patying' more than people in the North at all! There is absolutely no basis to this argument at all, In general the people from different countries in the North are as different to each other as they are to people in the South! You say 'everyone knows that' but do they? What do you base that particular statement on? When I travel to the South I tend to see Northern Europeans out partying far more than their Southern counterparts but I wouldn't say 'people from the North party a lot more than people in the South' just because of my personal experiences and what I've seen at resorts!! You just can't make sweeping statements like that about millions of people!

A different concept, a different culture.
As the weather is diferent, people do go out a lot to terraced cafes, people also go to bars to socialize and talk a lot in the street and are visible.
People don't go out to bars and terraces for binge drinking.
Binge drinking also exist here, a relatively new novelty provoked by tax on alcohol, rise of drinks in bars due to taxes and similar idiocies.
A lot of foreigners confuse people going to their daily bar, terraced café or disco as "partying", which is not partying.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
France isn't a mediterranean country.

France is a Mediterranean country from a cultural standpoint.
And Catholics.
France also has the Atlantic seabord, a continental region, but culturally, France is entirely Mediterranean.
Western culture irradiated from Massilia, and then from Provincia, the first Roman province outside Italica.

Last edited by pampliment; 10-07-2015 at 03:15 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
No, really, no.

Quote:
And Catholics.
Islam is the second biggest religion in my country so France is also a Muslim country too?

Quote:
France also has the Atlantic seabord, (and the North Sea too, you forgot the North sea....) a continental region, but culturally, France is entirely Mediterranean.
*roll on the floor*

Oh you're too funny, do you have some more jokes like this one?
Sure Alsace, Brittany, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Picardy, Ile-de-France etc are so mediterranean in culture... oh my.

Quote:
Western culture irradiated from Massilia, and then from Provincia, the first Roman province outside Italica.
You are crazy.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:47 AM

Yes, sorry.
Islam is not the religion that embodied French culture during centuries, 1400 years to be exact.
When I say "Mediterranean", I'm referring to Latin culture, not to the sea.
Pas de Calais and Britanny are as Mediterranean as Galicia and the Basque country,
When I say "Mediterranean", I'm not referring to people drinking Pastis in some Mediterranean terrace.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:58 AM

France is a Latin or Romanesque speaking country.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:59 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicms View Post
Ok so, I was born and raised in Portugal, lived in Switzerland for almost two years, and am back in my home country now. As an European who have lived both in the south and in the center (north) of Europe I'll say that the north is simply boring.
(Now, I know Switzerland is not in the north exactly, and it's central Europe, BUT Switzerland works a LOT as north european countries)

In the north people are organized, sure... the train gets to the station at the time it is supposed to; you apply for jobs and you ALWAYS get an answer, even if they don't have any interest in you; people just have a good life there because things work as they're supposed to work and they have money, and they get their salaries in time; in general you don't have to wait a lot of time to have your things done... on the other hand, people are more close minded, their lives have no color if you know what I mean. They wake up in the morning to go to their jobs and then they go back home and that's it. Nightlife is really not so good, not only because their bars and clubs close at 4am but because, in general, they just don't know how to have fun! While I was living in Switzerland, the best party I had there was organized by portuguese people x)
wait, that was exactly what my life was like before I moved to Italy...

Also, 4am for bar closing time is super late to me, in the city where I grew up they generally close at 1am (there are clubs closing later but I'm not into that), and then you have to hang around outside or go to someone's place until the neighbours call the police, which usually comes quite fast. That would be unthinkable here in Italy, the police does not care.

I admit I get a bit lost here sometimes because the rules never quite work the way they are supposed to do and things get done eventually, but I don't understand how

Old 10-07-2015, 04:04 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
Quote:
And Catholics.
France also has the Atlantic seabord, a continental region, but culturally, France is entirely Mediterranean.
Uh, no.

Try living in Orléans, Laval or Mulhouse for a year and see if it feels like living in Zaragozza or Florence.

Then come back and report. I'm very curious.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Uh, no.

Try living in Orléans, Laval or Mulhouse for a year and see if it feels like living in Zaragozza or Florence.

Then come back and report. I'm very curious.
It's mediterranean there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe