Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,047 times

Advertisements

So many people here say that northern Europe is too structured, bureaucratic, and calm for them to live there. Personally, I don't see any problem with structure and stability when trying to find a place to live. What's with the preference for southern Europe here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 PM

507 posts, read 443,241 times
I haven't noticed that in this forum, but I'm with you.

[insert joke about Italy changing governments more frequently than most people change their underwear]

Old 10-01-2015, 01:45 AM

502 posts, read 655,555 times
maybe there are more people from southern europe?

I think southern europe is not as mad as people think and northern europe is not as structured. there are pockets of fun and stability in both places.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:03 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparty View Post
So many people here say that northern Europe is too structured, bureaucratic, and calm for them to live there. Personally, I don't see any problem with structure and stability when trying to find a place to live. What's with the preference for southern Europe here?
This preference that you perceive is more a romantic fantasy than reality.

By far on this forum more threads and posts are about core western and northern European countries than the southern tier.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM

602 posts, read 496,211 times
Inferiority complex.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:20 PM

31,918 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Have not seen any favoritism towards southern Europe here, but if there was it would be for the same reasons in real life; that is the climate and general culture.

Northern Europeans have been going to southern parts for scores if not hundreds of years, even when this was just within their own country/territory. More so and or especially to escape the cold and often damp winters.

While southern Europe had long been known by other Europeans and a certain demographic elsewhere in the world (read wealthy) the book A Year in Provence really helped put the south of France on the map of even middle class persons. Tuscany was another place "discovered" by Americans and others that had been a well known secret by many Europeans for ages.

Paris, Rome, Berlin and even London all have their charms, but there is something about the south of France or Italy, Greece and so forth that is just timeless. If one could only have one choice; a home in either Paris or south of France, the latter would win every time.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:53 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonaparty View Post
Structured and calm - I guess you could call it that. Visiting Denmark know, I mostly find it small, clean, and well-regulated - like Switzerland without the mountains.

OTOH, I will say that Southern Europe takes the cake for bureaucracy. If you try to actually follow the rules in, for instance, Spain - you'll run from office to office and still, at the end of the day, be told that "Sorry, but for the permanent permit, the stamp should have been in green ink and be countersigned by the mayor in person, not a deputy". The locals may not bother, but they know which rules can be pushed and how far - you don't.

Whereas when I moved to Germany, the process went like you'd expect from Germans - sure, lots of office visits, but along the lines of "Good to see you. Mr. Dane, we have your file here. Please sign here, here and here, pay the fee with the cashier in the foyer, and the updated paperwork will be mailed to you at the end of the week", which it was.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
There is Nordicism, a.k.a. the superiority complex of people of Northern Europe over Southerners also on a racial basis, but there's no "Southicism".
Figure that out.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,294,969 times
I was under the impression that southern europe was not always seen in a good light on this board.

I feel western european mostly so I won't take part in this debate

Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I was under the impression that southern europe was not always seen in a good light on this board.

I feel western european mostly so I won't take part in this debate
It seems to me that America, Americans and Britain and the British tend to get the most 'bashing' on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe