Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:33 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,271,000 times

Advertisements

My father studied Latin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:01 AM

10 posts, read 8,619 times
I started to learn English when I was in 3rd grade - elementary school. It wasn't mandatory, but my parents pushed me.

Second language became mandatory on high school. Apart from learning English, also German language is very popular. Many german companies are running their branches in my country.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:05 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,494,241 times
In Spain:

English: always compulsory
French/German: one of these is second language in secondary school.
Latin/Greek: compulsory 2 years before university for the students who take humanity and not science.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 AM

577 posts, read 671,576 times
In the UK it's a choice of either French, German or Spanish. Most do French, although it's kind of a waste of time learning a language for most since barely anyone in the UK has any reason to speak a foreign language and so everything you learn is completely forgotten. I guess we're lucky in a way, that English is the default international language, but it's bad in a way that it makes us lazy about learning other languages. It's hard to learn even if you move to a foreign speaking country as most people want to speak English to you.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,131,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
In Spain:

English: always compulsory
French/German: one of these is second language in secondary school.
Latin/Greek: compulsory 2 years before university for the students who take humanity and not science.
And depending on where you live, the local language can be compulsory as well.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,494,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
And depending on where you live, the local language can be compulsory as well.
Yes, sometimes the second language was not compulsory in those areas and during this time they pupils studied local language.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 AM

667 posts, read 942,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
In the Netherlands:
- English - compulsory from age of 11 on Elementary schools. Could be compulsory from age of 5 within years.
The Dutch speak good English anyway, why is it necessary to start it so early (at the age of 5)?

Old 10-04-2015, 02:02 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,840,270 times
I met some Polish women this morning who are in town for a blues conference. One of them said that students in Poland have to study English now.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,880,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
The Dutch speak good English anyway, why is it necessary to start it so early (at the age of 5)?
Just because other people *think* the Dutch speak very good English,
it is not *the* reason why English Language Training is important in The Netherlands.

It is important because you have to able to become fluent in the grammar of a foreign language.
Else you do sound silly often ...

I have *heard* (no proof) that English was voted as the second language in the Area of Amsterdam ... ???

Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,585,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
The earlier you start, the easier it is to reach an advanced level.
Since ten years ago, kindergarten for children earlier than five-years-old are becoming popular here in Spain. In fact, most of them received education in both Spanish and English, then they must move onto the compulsory schools where English is enforced as the second language as well, and finally they can learn either French or German later in secondary school.

Anyway, I hope Spain as a whole will improve in foreign languages a lot by the well-trained next, younger generations, as they do in The Netherlands or elsewhere in northern Europe since many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe