Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:47 PM

358 posts, read 283,168 times

Advertisements

Sweden:

English compulsory from 1st grade
French, Spanish or German or extra English from 6th grade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 03:57 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Norway:

I believe English is the only compulsory foreign language in elementary school (age 6-16).

Old 10-04-2015, 10:33 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just because other people *think* the Dutch speak very good English,
it is not *the* reason why English Language Training is important in The Netherlands.

It is important because you have to able to become fluent in the grammar of a foreign language.
Else you do sound silly often ...

I have *heard* (no proof) that English was voted as the second language in the Area of Amsterdam ... ???
According to wikipedia it is. It's only for the municipality of Amsterdam. No other cities, accept some of the Caribbean islands (the Dutch colonies).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...he_Netherlands

Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuk45 View Post
In the UK it's a choice of either French, German or Spanish. Most do French, although it's kind of a waste of time learning a language for most since barely anyone in the UK has any reason to speak a foreign language and so everything you learn is completely forgotten. I guess we're lucky in a way, that English is the default international language, but it's bad in a way that it makes us lazy about learning other languages. It's hard to learn even if you move to a foreign speaking country as most people want to speak English to you.
I made a real concerted effort to learn how to speak Spanish, I took classes level 1 and level 2, when I went to Spain to 'try out' my new skills I found that most would answer me in English. I think the level of language proficiency in the UK is shameful! I admire some of my colleagues (I work with many foreign nationals) who can speak (sometimes) multiple languages. I worked (he left recently) with a Polish guy that could speak Polish (obviously), English, German, Russian, French AND Chinese (Cantonese?). Absolutely incredible.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
When I went to school, English was the first foreign language by default, and I had to pick a second one, either French or Latin. I opted for Latin because I hated the sound of French.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I made a real concerted effort to learn how to speak Spanish, I took classes level 1 and level 2, when I went to Spain to 'try out' my new skills I found that most would answer me in English. I think the level of language proficiency in the UK is shameful! I admire some of my colleagues (I work with many foreign nationals) who can speak (sometimes) multiple languages. I worked (he left recently) with a Polish guy that could speak Polish (obviously), English, German, Russian, French AND Chinese (Cantonese?). Absolutely incredible.
You are an English native speaker, you don't need to learn another language.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
You were probably being sarcastic

Anyway, while you can survive with English in many places, you have to learn the local language if you actually move to another country. Else you will always be considered only a tourist and you will not understand life there and you will depend on locals doing things for you, such as IRS etc. Not to mention work or college for those that are not retired.

A lot of people make the mistake to think that just because people more or less speak English in another country, that English plays a role in everyday life. Well, it does not, life takes place in local languages just like it has in the past.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When I went to school, English was the first foreign language by default, and I had to pick a second one, either French or Latin. I opted for Latin because I hated the sound of French.
May be Latin sounds better than French (I agree with it too, I'm not a fan of how French sounds), but French is much easier and far more useful.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,263,329 times
What's the point? I don't bother learning languages because I don't need to. It would become a hobby and not a necessity.

Quote:
I can't be bothered.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
I would love to be more proficient at another language, I have some Spanish family members (due to some marriages) and would love to be able to speak to them in their native language. I have a 2 1/2 year old nephew who speaks better Spanish than me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe