Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:16 AM

361 posts, read 726,329 times

Advertisements

I don't have a work permit and that has been the main hindrance in my search so far.
I just got back from the UK where I finished my Masters in Economics and an internship with an intl organization in Austria. Unfortunately I had to come back to the states after the internship. Most jobs in Europe require you to have a work permit before you even think about applying.

I have some work experience with a couple of big intl organizations that usually sponsor applicants but even though I used to work there, it's never easy to just go back.
Those seem to be my best bet because the smaller organizations don't usually sponsor you.

By big intl org I mean the World bank and UN. I need to find an organizations that can sponsor me even for a short term consultancy.

I kind of feel stuck because I really don't want to stay/live in the states after a year traveling around and living abroad. I had such a great experience in Europe and people are just so different...I no longer see myself working or living here.

I just gotta find a way to go back!

Help!!!

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

L

Last edited by Flamboyante; 10-30-2015 at 05:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,805 times
Your best bet is to get a job in the US with a multinational organisation and keep your eyes open for international transfer opportunities. It may take years before something comes up but you will be adding to your experience all the while which can only improve your chances. Best of luck!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:02 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,353,761 times
Your best bet is to just keep applying. If your CV is half as good as you make us believe, you should be getting a job at some point.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:29 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,568,789 times
I heard about many cases of people finding on internet work in different places of the world and moving there temporarily or for longer period, on company's invitation. I'm sure in most cases this happened without work permit.

If a company decides to employ you, they send you an invitation that will make you able to get the work permit.

Also, an idea is to try to interest some companies that don't have vacancies. Check the websites of some companies, see their profile and if they may be interested in your services (you may have some experience which one company needs, like some knowledge regarding the US market etc) and send them an offer. I mean, don't focus only on those advertising vacancies.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Your best bet is to get a job in the US with a multinational organisation and keep your eyes open for international transfer opportunities. It may take years before something comes up but you will be adding to your experience all the while which can only improve your chances. Best of luck!
This would be my last option and I don't see it happening if I've already settled back here. Ideally I would find something now since I just came back few weeks ago. I don't see myself looking for jobs in Europe in 2 or 3 years time.
But thanks for your suggestion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Your best bet is to just keep applying. If your CV is half as good as you make us believe, you should be getting a job at some point.
I Never said my CV is good. I actually don't think it's good enough but I'm glad you've got that impression though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
I heard about many cases of people finding on internet work in different places of the world and moving there temporarily or for longer period, on company's invitation. I'm sure in most cases this happened without work permit.

If a company decides to employ you, they send you an invitation that will make you able to get the work permit.

Also, an idea is to try to interest some companies that don't have vacancies. Check the websites of some companies, see their profile and if they may be interested in your services (you may have some experience which one company needs, like some knowledge regarding the US market etc) and send them an offer. I mean, don't focus only on those advertising vacancies.
You mean spontaneous applications? Nowadays intl organizations receive more resume than they need but I guess I could always try.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:46 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,568,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
You mean spontaneous applications? Nowadays intl organizations receive more resume than they need but I guess I could always try.
Yes, spontaneous application. But not necessary at big organisation. You visit the websites of some European companies or branches and decide if they may be interested in your services. In most cases, probably they wont but you may have luck with one company. See what you're best at and search a company that needs that. Don't send a thousands cv's to a thousands companies as it would be some gambling machine. See the things from company's point of view, guess what they would prefer.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I Never said my CV is good. I actually don't think it's good enough but I'm glad you've got that impression though.
If your CV was good enough to get you internships at international organizations like the UN and the World Bank, you should be able to get some sort of job in Europe.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
If your CV was good enough to get you internships at international organizations like the UN and the World Bank, you should be able to get some sort of job in Europe.
Hm... Ok.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:24 AM

Alright, so here is a step by step guide:

1. Which languages do you speak to such a degree that you can actually use it in a working environment. That should give you a hint on which countries to focus on.

2. What do you actually want to work? Economics is a relatively broad field. I could point you to hundreds of banks in Europe that employ foreigners. There is no point in doing so, if you are not interested in working for a bank.

3. You figured out what and where you want to work? That's great.
3.a. Browse the career page of a company that looks interesting and apply. Be realistic about it. They require you to speak a language that you can't actually speak properly? Forget about it. The position requires 5 years of experience? It will be rather tough to get in there as well.
3.b. Look at career webpages that specialize in your field of study. They exist. E.g. jusjobs.at for jobs in the legal field in Austria. It might require some googling till you find something like that for the country you want to move to.
3.c. General career platforms. karriere.at, reed.co.uk, ... Whatever. Find a job you like. Apply.

I mean, that's how pretty much everyone finds a job around here. Even expats.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:28 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,941,269 times
Quote:
I kind of feel stuck because I really don't want to stay/live in the states after a year traveling around and living abroad. I had such a great experience in Europe and people are just so different...I no longer see myself working or living here.
Why would anyone want to leave the land of opportunity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe