Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 AM

919 posts, read 841,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Most jobs in Europe require you to have a work permit before you even think about applying.
You can apply visa without a work permit in the Netherlands as far as you are a citizen of the US or Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,877,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
You can apply visa without a work permit in the Netherlands as far as you are a citizen of the US or Japan.
OK ... , then what ???

Old 10-31-2015, 08:58 AM

1,274 posts, read 981,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
OK ... , then what ???
Then I guess you look for a job, but on-site!

Old 10-31-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
This

Old 11-03-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Or Working on a self-employed basis
For US and Japanese citizens it is also possible to be self-employed in the Netherlands under the Dutch-American Friendship Treaty or the Treaty of Trade and Navigation between the Netherlands and Japan.
You must meet the following conditions:
  • You operate your business between the US and the Netherlands, or between Japan and the Netherlands.
  • You start a new business opportunity and represent an American or Japanese business in the Netherlands or you start a profession in which you have invested a substantial capital.
  • You have a valid travel document (for example a passport).
  • You are not a risk to public order and national security.
  • You have sufficient and long-term means of support.
  • You have not previously stayed in the Netherlands illegally.
  • You have not given false information or have withheld important information to support any previous applications.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,747,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Your best bet is to get a job in the US with a multinational organisation and keep your eyes open for international transfer opportunities. It may take years before something comes up but you will be adding to your experience all the while which can only improve your chances. Best of luck!
That's how I did it, except that my developing country research for US government clients with a specialty that was "topical" at the time is what got me into a Danish governmental institution specializing in my areas. Even then, I had to spend 3 years networking into Denmark to find a job from the US. That was 20+ years ago.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:36 AM

4,974 posts, read 3,334,932 times
You could try Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad and ask your question there. There is also lots of info on specific countries. People also move to EU or move inside EU due to relationships/marriage.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 PM

361 posts, read 726,457 times
Good stuff. Thanks guys!

viribusunitis What are those banks that hire foreigners?

Old 11-12-2015, 06:34 PM

260 posts, read 428,787 times
You can also work for a big hotel brand like Marriott or Hilton. They are all over the world and I hear they are always hiring, especially housekeepers.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:35 PM

549 posts, read 626,693 times
Do what I did. Work for a company that you know has offices overseas. After doing a year or two stateside, show your employer you are an invaluable asset to the organization. Then apply for a job in Europe. They will even pay for your move. Or, in my case, at least the flight over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe