Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,327 times

Advertisements

Not really but I have spent some leisure time with some of them, my two main experiences are these:

A girl of my age, she is half Spanish half Moroccan, friendly and nice... but when we are in group she starts talking about how healthy Ramadan is, how rubbish pork is, and how retarded and rude country Spain is in comparison with Morocco, she says she wants to marry a Muslim but she always like non muslim guys. Not bad relationship but she talks too much b o l l o c k s and has no filter expressing opinion.

In a young people's travel we (friend and me) became friends with 2 guys from Tunisie, they were nice and friendly but friendship didn't work: they didn't allow us go to bars, walk alone in the streets or talking with unknown people while we were with them... for Europen women this is incredible, as if we were their sumises. So as I said, friendship didn't work, only in distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 04:29 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
I know many muslim people, some of which I could call friends, and all at various degrees of religiosity, just like people who claim to be christian.

I have already gotten drunk with some muslim friends, and I know others who don't touch a bottle or smoke. Generally there are no problems whatsoever. I have more trouble to get along with Italians who claim that foreigners are strange and should not be here in the first place.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:01 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,982,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Why Muslims? Why no interest in my Hindu or Buddhist friends.... or those of an Orthodoxy? I even have some that are Christians I know, can you believe it!

I was Christened 44(odd) years ago and apart from weddings and funerals I've not willingly sat through a service for about 30yrs.

I'm still culturally Christian though.
It is because of considerable media attention is directed to them and usually the media attention is more commonly negative. I like to see if there are Europeans who can look beyond the negative media stereotypes of Muslims. Also Islam is the fastest growing religion in Europe. Due to this it is now common place for so many Europeans to encounter Muslims in their everyday lives.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 AM

502 posts, read 655,094 times
I have some friends that are muslim. So... next question?

Old 11-03-2015, 02:21 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,576 times
I don't have Muslim friends but I had some co workers that were Muslim. Never had any problems with them. I work for a construction company so we have a lot of lower / working class people on the floor of which a lot are Muslims.
We never have real problems with them.
Their Ramadan is very important to them so that is respected, and they also have the option of 6 weeks vacation in summer time to visit their family in Turkey / Morocco etc to see their family. IF they saved up enough days that is.
That raised some eyebrows sometimes among non Muslim workers in the beginning, but never any serious trouble with that.
Especially the Turks have very strong work ethics.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:22 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Yes I've been brought up with a few and have NO problem with them.

I take people by face value it's a shame a lot of people don't

Old 11-03-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes I've been brought up with a few and have NO problem with them.

I take people by face value it's a shame a lot of people don't
Me too, but I must say that was not always easy. The neighborhoods I've lived most my life were not exactly nice and living among 80% foreigners of which at least half were gangbangers and mafia makes it hard sometimes NOT to become racist.

But the Muslims I worked with were always very nice, hard working people.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
It is because of considerable media attention is directed to them and usually the media attention is more commonly negative. I like to see if there are Europeans who can look beyond the negative media stereotypes of Muslims. Also Islam is the fastest growing religion in Europe. Due to this it is now common place for so many Europeans to encounter Muslims in their everyday lives.
Thing is, no one I know cares about religion. The chances of me befriending a hardcore Christian are about the same as me befriending a Muslima with a Niqab. Close to zero. But moderate or non-practising Christian/Muslims? Sure, why not.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
Me too, but I must say that was not always easy. The neighborhoods I've lived most my life were not exactly nice and living among 80% foreigners of which at least half were gangbangers and mafia makes it hard sometimes NOT to become racist.

But the Muslims I worked with were always very nice, hard working people.
I get it 100% in London there have been many cultural differences shall we say but I don't agree with a lot of Muslim views and the ones I've been brought up with are English so that may be why I'm not concerned about them?

Old 11-03-2015, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I get it 100% in London there have been many cultural differences shall we say but I don't agree with a lot of Muslim views and the ones I've been brought up with are English so that may be why I'm not concerned about them?
Yeah I think that makes a huge difference. Also I think young children don't really care about the differences. It's mostly the parents that take care of that

I never grew up WITH them because at that time there still weren't that many of them. that started when I was around 14 or so, when I already had a steady group of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe