Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:14 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,934,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I doubt it. The best of Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Estonia) will catch up with or surpass the worst of Western Europe like Italy or Spain (they already have in many ways, though it's mostly the latter's problems), but it will take decades for them to catch up with the likes of Germany or Sweden. And that's the best case scenario. For countries like Poland or Hungary or Romania that day is most likely never going to arrive, and they've got way more population in the West.
Eastern Europe large cities are generally fine, have plenty of expats, a lower cost of living, all the amenities you need, more attractive women, do not have many of the problems that Western European cities have and are safer by now. I'm in Eastern Europe now btw so I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 08:26 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Quote:
My point is a high PPP doesn't necessarily mean living standards are as good. Russia and Malaysia's PPP is close to Czech Republic and Estonia's, but their living standards are not.
No, your point was that I should use nominal, instead of PPP. I showed some PPP data, and you said that I need to use nominal data.

Today Russia nominal GDP is 10,000 and Estonia is 20,000. So according to your thinking, nominal fits better. But in 2012 Russia had a nominal GDP of 14300 and Estonia was 16,700. Does those numbers also fit reality. In reality it is the nominal numbers that is too high, not only are Russian salaries less than half of Estonian salaries but also fewer people work.

An example that really show the failings of nominal GDP per capita is Brazil. In 2012 Brazil had a higher nominal GDP per capita than Poland. Luckily we got GDP per capita PPP which show that Poland was twice as rich as Brazil. The reson Brazil nominal GDP is high is not because their living standard is high, but because they have a strong currency due to their strong exports.

Nominal GDP suffer from the same problems as PPP, but comes with major disadvantages. They even say it themselves on Wikipedia, don't use it to compare living standards, because it fluctuate due to currency changes.

Quote:
You were arguing that affirmative action would make W. Europeans move to Eastern Europe, which I don't think will ever happen. Let's just leave it at that.
I said that affirmative action combined with higher living standards in eastern europe and more social problems in western europe will lead to people moving from western europe to eastern europe.

Last edited by Camlon; 10-27-2018 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-29-2018, 02:06 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
do not have many of the problems that Western European cities have and are safer by now.
Let me guess - you're white.

For people of colour - even nonMuslims who are citizens of an EU nation or another Western country - Eastern Europe is less safe than Western Europe. The further east, the worse it gets.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Let me guess - you're white.

For people of colour - even nonMuslims who are citizens of an EU nation or another Western country - Eastern Europe is less safe than Western Europe. The further east, the worse it gets.
Can you back up your claim that the further east you go the safer it gets? Or is it just your opinion?

Old 10-30-2018, 03:24 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
I'm in Eastern Europe now

Don't forget how they're communists, communism > muslim western europe jk. .

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
Quote:
Can you back up your claim that the further east you go the safer it gets? Or is it just your opinion?
I am saying exactly the OPPOSITE of that. Please read my comment again.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I am saying exactly the OPPOSITE of that. Please read my comment again.
I know what you wrote, it's just a matter of perspective.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:19 AM

827 posts, read 632,169 times
It already does since decades.
Many white rich and educate french people choose to go abroad, cause the state stole them opportunity due to the presence of immigrats.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
Many white rich and educate french people choose to go abroad, cause the state stole them opportunity due to the presence of immigrats.
I saw a news broadcast a while back that many Israeli people move back to Israel as well for obvious reasons. You would have though that Europe has learned from the past but obviously we haven't.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:16 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citoyen View Post
French people are amongst the countries that migrate less. Only like 1.8 million French people live abroad and most are within Europe (to Switzerland, Britain, Germany, Belgium, Spain etc.). That number is 5.5 million for Britons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe