Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Not a joke. It is the best meat ever. Too bad it's quite expensive.
I wonder if it's cheaper in Saamiland? In Yakutia, it's cheap. But....that's Russia for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 826,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yep, that's pretty much how I feel. I love my life, I love where I live, I enjoy living in Texas and in the US - why would anyone begrudge my happiness or assume it's because I just don't know any better? It's not for everyone - no place is. I hope other people are as happy where they live as I am where I live.
I love my own life too. It is not perfect, but it is good - even in one of the poorer countries of Europe. And if all goes well, soon it will be yet better. And I don't begrudge anybody else his/her happiness. However I do resent it when people say or imply I cannot possibly be happy - or anyone else for that matter - because I do not live in the "best country on Earth". Or that I only think I am happy because I don't know what true happiness or true freedom is like. Or that I - or other people - would give everything, and possibly even use sex, as a female, as the means of obtaining a Green Card. I get it, you, and a lot of other Americans, have a lot of love and pride for your homeland. But it does not mean other people cannot have their love and pride too.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Yes, that was the post I was talking about. As for why I was "ruminating" as Kathryn puts it... sometimes old threads are more interesting than new ones, and besides, my whole point of being on CD is to find out what people think about various topics.
Then you should be able to read the very clear words in that post, which include:

Quote:
I know full well that the United States isn't perfect. I've also traveled enough across this wide world to say with certainty that no perfect utopias or countries exist. We could throw stones back and forth at each other into infinity and every insult might be true - but it would also be a very incomplete picture.
Quote:
It's great to travel, and I often see things that other countries or cultures do better - and I use that information to try to make improvements in my own life, and in my country's culture and politics.

But I also know that in spite of it's flaws, the United States is a unique and fascinating country with much to offer it's citizens.
In between those two statements is a list of the various things that I'm grateful for. Nowhere in that post do I state or imply that these benefits are not available elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I love my own life too. It is not perfect, but it is good - even in one of the poorer countries of Europe. And if all goes well, soon it will be yet better. And I don't begrudge anybody else his/her happiness. However I do resent it when people say or imply I cannot possibly be happy - or anyone else for that matter - because I do not live in the "best country on Earth". Or that I only think I am happy because I don't know what true happiness or true freedom is like. Or that I - or other people - would give everything, and possibly even use sex, as a female, as the means of obtaining a Green Card. I get it, you, and a lot of other Americans, have a lot of love and pride for your homeland. But it does not mean other people cannot have their love and pride too.
OK and if I ever say or imply any of that to you, then you can give me this lecture, but till then - it's unnecessary.

And I'm sure you can understand why an American might be offended by your generalizations about the US and Americans, too, right? I mean, you're chock full of them.

"Oh, the humanity!!!!"

Old 01-18-2016, 12:18 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,706,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know if this was a joke or not, but people, you haven't LIVED until you've had reindeermeat! In any form! Even just as a sausage/sandwich meat, it's the best! You'll forget all about burgers, or beef in general.

I am not going to eat reindeers I need my christmas gifts...

Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,211,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
16 Things You Don’t Know About Europe Until You Get There
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

2.) Showering can be a challenge

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key

4.) Things close down at lunch time

5.) It’s hard to find to go cups for coffee- You’ll have a hard time ordering a cup of coffee to go.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again.

7.) Sometimes you have to pay before you order

8.) Public toilettes aren’t free

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available

10.) You don’t need to tip

11.) Almost all museums are free (or at least cheap)

12.) Ordering a latte means ordering a milk

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

14.) Salads aren’t a big thing

15.) Limited selection of foods

16.) Burgers must be well done
I've only experienced a few of these items and on a very limited basis. None of this has been my experience to a broad extent except for tipping. Even then, I found that a one euro tip goes a long way to never having to wait for a drink in a crowded bar.
This reads like one person's personal experience on their one and only trip to Europe where they only visited one place.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 826,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK and if I ever say or imply any of that to you, then you can give me this lecture, but till then - it's unnecessary.

And I'm sure you can understand why an American might be offended by your generalizations about the US and Americans, too, right? I mean, you're chock full of them.

"Oh, the humanity!!!!"
This is not about you, Kathryn. You are not the only American who is reading this. You are also not the only American I ever knew. As I said before, I used to hang out around Americans for 12 years - before that one year in the US and after. Heck, I even used to know the US ambassador to my country because we went to the same church. I received her in my small apartment, and she received me in her home in Washington DC. It was a good time too, and all those people were nice and friendly, however some facet of a feeling of superiority was there about them all. Religious, political - there was always something.

As for logs and splitters - I think it is the other way around. I might have a splitter - but it is others that have a log.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
This is not about you, Kathryn. You are not the only American who is reading this. You are also not the only American I ever knew. As I said before, I used to hang out around Americans for 12 years - before that one year in the US and after. Heck, I even used to know the US ambassador to my country because we went to the same church. I received her in my small apartment, and she received me in her home in Washington DC. It was a good time too, and all those people were nice and friendly, however some facet of a feeling of superiority was there about them all. Religious, political - there was always something.

As for logs and splitters - I think it is the other way around. I might have a splitter - but it is others that have a log.

OK whatever you say. Your personal experiences are just that - personal experiences. And limited by your social circles, your age, maturity level, education level, mental blocks or preconceptions, emotional baggage, insecurities, etc. just as everyone else's are.

I am not a native Texan. When I first got here, you know what really really stuck out to me as we were driving down the road? Believe it or not - cows. I had never seen so many cows. Of course now that I've lived here a long time, I realize there's so much more to Texas than just cows - but if you'd asked me after my first week here, I would have said, "Wow, it seems like there are cows everywhere, and TRUCKS everywhere, and all the food is so spicy." Well of course those are exaggerations but they have some basis in truth. But I'd sure miss out on a lot of great things about this state if I didn't like spicy food or cows or trucks and discredited the whole rest of the state because I figured that was all there was around here.

I think, based on my own personal experiences, that a lot of Europeans feel superior to Americans. But that doesn't mean that I think all or even most of them do. I know the attitude when I see it or experience it but so what? Most Europeans are very pleasant toward me when I'm traveling there, and that's cool. I know the attitude exists, but I also know that those who feel that way are just as small minded as Americans who feel that way about the US. The superiority complex exists on both sides of the pond, and actually in cultures worldwide since the beginning of time.

That's why I know I can't change it in anyone but myself, so I focus on keeping my own mind as free of prejudices as possible.

By the way, you made it about me when you accused me personally of implying that the US does everything better in a specific post.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-18-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 01:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,862,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if it's cheaper in Saamiland? In Yakutia, it's cheap. But....that's Russia for you.
No, as Samis don't have a monopoly anymore on reindeers, and the Samis are just a small minority. Most of the meat is shipped down to us southerners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Is 'raindeermeat' the same meat that you can buy frozen in Lidl?
Yes, Lidl in the UK sold it some years ago and the British were shocked. HOW CAN YOU EAT POOR RUDOLPH???????

Old 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, Lidl in the UK sold it some years ago and the British were shocked. HOW CAN YOU EAT POOR RUDOLPH???????
I feel that way when I see 100 percent buffalo meat in our stores here - "OMG, you're killing the American West!"

I realize the flaw to both mindsets but I guess since I'm not much of a meat eater anyway, it doesn't take much to put me "off my cud" when it comes to the origins of meat.

My grandmother used to say, "My meat hurts" when her muscles hurt. That was, errr, food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe