Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 03:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's interesting because I seem to recall the Germans getting very upset whenever a base closes due to the economic impact of the closure:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...zeS_story.html

But I agree with you about the posting of American military forces to Europe. Its been 70 years. Europe is a rich continent and is more than capable of defending itself. American forces are no longer necessary in Europe.
Which is why there's been such a significant drawdown in troops as well as base foreclosures over the past 25 years, especially in Germany. Yay for everyone!

There are currently only about 50K US troops stationed in Europe, down from about 213,000 in 1990.
http://time.com/4075458/afghanistan-...-obama-troops/
http://www.eur.army.mil/organization/history.htm

These troops are nearly all stationed in a few military installations in Germany and Italy and their numbers continue to shrink, year after year.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 01-18-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 03:31 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,192,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I would consider 8€ quite cheap myself.

Ones I have enjoyed -

Dublin

Chester Beatty Museum - free
National Museum of Ireland - free
Dubliniana - 8.50€
National Portrait Gallery - free

Lisbon

Gulbenkian - 5€ (a terrific museum)
Museum of the Orient - 6€ (collections based on Portuguese explorations in Asia)
Bernardo Museum - free, modern art
Museu de Arte Antiga - 6€ (Bosch, Durer...)

Barcelona

Fundació Joan Miró - 12€
€8 is ok, but I do not think €12 is cheap. I guess American art museums are just overpriced. MoMA, Guggenheim New York and The Met are all $25.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:50 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
10 Things You Don’t Know About Oslo Until You Get There

1) Oh damn. What is there to see after Akershus? Let's see...

2) The city is full with 60's and 70's office blocks

3) This city is ugly

4) ... But the environment outside the city is probably the most beautiful ever!

5) It's so clean

6) Don't buy anything. A beer costs like 130 NOK

7) Don't pee on the street, the locals don't like it

8) Drop your wallet on the street, and the person behind you will tap your shoulder and say "sorry, I think you dropped your wallet"

9) Don't say anything about Norway to a local. They will give an annoyed grunt and walk away

10) Yeah right sit on the roof of the Opera House in November rain, an experience you'll never forget

Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
She was probably once in Italy and now thinks she knows it all.

---

Ok so I will answer the statements:

1) Yes, it might have two buttons
2) Hardly
3) You can
4) They don't except for a couple of countries
5) It might
6) No, it doesn't
7) True
8) True
9) Wifi is free
10) True
11) Not true
12) No, it doesn't except in Italy
13) True, except for boiled eggs. Them we have
14) Not true
15) Probably compared to the US
16) Is there any other way?
I get that impression as well, she seems to think Europe is one culture where everything is the same all over.
The milk things is weird. So food is limited because because they don't have six different types of milk?
She must be very, very young and naive.
I think a lot of places get labelled very quickly. I know in Canada, someone goes to Toronto and thinks they know the country.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-18-2016 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 07:10 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
There is some truth in some of the claims but a lot of sterotyping is there and not all countries behave the same. My experience of Europe, having lived there and visited many times
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

Dual flush toilets are more common there. In USA it is more common to find a low volume flush toilet

2.) Showering can be a challenge.

Some hotels. Most modern chains are standardized

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key.

There is a grain of truth here. In older properties they still use the large keys that are too bulky to carry. So you leave that at front desk when you go. They also give only 1 such key per room.

4.) Things close down at lunch time.

Saw that mainly in Spain but not much elsewhere.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again..

On the whole dinner and luch sit down meals are a bit slower than US. I experienced it most in France.

8.) Public toilets aren’t free.

This is a major peeve of mine. One has to have a Euro ready at a minimum. Toilets in USA are almost always free and every mall and large department store has free restrooms.

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available.

A bit of reverse situation compared to US. Here lower end hotels give free Wi-fi in rooms and upper end full service hotels make you pay for it for in -room wifi. So people gather in the lobby for free wifi. In Europe the very upper end hotels give free wifi but the rest charge for it.

11.) Almost all museums are free (or at least cheap).

Not completely true

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

Not at hotels where I ate.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:56 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Which is why there's been such a significant drawdown in troops as well as base foreclosures over the past 25 years, especially in Germany. Yay for everyone!

There are currently only about 50K US troops stationed in Europe, down from about 213,000 in 1990.
See U.S. Troops Worldwide in this Graphic
History | U.S. Army in Europe

These troops are nearly all stationed in a few military installations in Germany and Italy and their numbers continue to shrink, year after year.
Which is more than anywhere else in the world, with the possible exception of Japan. Much more than anywhere the US is currently waging war in. Germany, Italy and Japan - hmm... I wonder why those particular three countries. And while the US military presence does have economic benefits, at the same time it sends a clear message: we fear you, we do not trust you, and we'd better keep troops ready, a lot of troops, you know, just in case. War Beagle is right: it's been 70 years. Maybe it's time to stop with the distrust?

Old 01-19-2016, 01:02 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Typical retarded click bait article tbh.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
not that I have any horse in your argument
Oh, horse should DEFINITELY be eaten medium-rare.

Very tough if well done.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 AM

504 posts, read 465,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
[b]10 Things You Don’t Know About Paris Until You Get There

7) In cafés the waiters are fed up with ignorant tourists and want to go to the back room and kill themselves.
That is an utterly outrageous thing to say.

And completely true.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Which is more than anywhere else in the world, with the possible exception of Japan. Much more than anywhere the US is currently waging war in. Germany, Italy and Japan - hmm... I wonder why those particular three countries. And while the US military presence does have economic benefits, at the same time it sends a clear message: we fear you, we do not trust you, and we'd better keep troops ready, a lot of troops, you know, just in case. War Beagle is right: it's been 70 years. Maybe it's time to stop with the distrust?

You really think that the US is in Germany and Italy because of distrust of Germany and Italy now?

Let me break it down for you: When Germany and Italy lost a big war 70 years ago, yes - the winners of that war invested a lot of money into installations in these countries - as well as into the economies of those countries. Then as the Cold War came along and European governments WANTED the US presence in central Europe. When the Cold War ended, the US lost billions of dollars of infrastructure as it closed down most of it's installations in Europe and handed these buildings and facilities over to the host countries.

But hey, another nasty kid on the block - the perpetually gnarly Middle East - became an even bigger presence, and the UN, including the European countries and the US and the rest of our allies, decided that hey, maybe some of those billion dollar installations, which were already there, could continue to be used due to their proximity to the ME. So that is why there are still US (and UN) troops using a handful of facilities in Europe, which just happen to STILL be in Germany and Italy.

We didn't build new facilities, we're just using very old facilities. And they're not in Germany and Italy because we, or the UN, are being punitive toward either of those countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe