Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:18 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
16 Things You Don’t Know About Europe Until You Get There
1.) There are many ways to flush a toilet

2.) Showering can be a challenge

3.) You can’t leave the hotel with your room key

4.) Things close down at lunch time

5.) It’s hard to find to go cups for coffee- You’ll have a hard time ordering a cup of coffee to go.

6.) Dinner takes two to three hours to eat- Ready for a quick bite to eat? Think again.

7.) Sometimes you have to pay before you order

8.) Public toilettes aren’t free

9.) Wifi isn’t free and isn’t always available

10.) You don’t need to tip

11.) Almost all museums are free (or at least cheap)

12.) Ordering a latte means ordering a milk

13.) Breakfast is cold cuts, cheese, and bread- Eggs don’t seem to be common for breakfast.

14.) Salads aren’t a big thing

15.) Limited selection of foods

16.) Burgers must be well done

There is nothing there remotely true, I am afraid this has to be the most inaccurate post I've seen for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Which is more than anywhere else in the world, with the possible exception of Japan. Much more than anywhere the US is currently waging war in. Germany, Italy and Japan - hmm... I wonder why those particular three countries. And while the US military presence does have economic benefits, at the same time it sends a clear message: we fear you, we do not trust you, and we'd better keep troops ready, a lot of troops, you know, just in case. War Beagle is right: it's been 70 years. Maybe it's time to stop with the distrust?
There is a simple solution to this. If you don't want US troops set a date and ask them to leave by that date. And then manage to fight all threats on your own. The European countries and sovereign countries and US cannot occupy them against their will.

Let us see if it happens. Not likely. Why get rid of free protection and spend your own money on it.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Yanisagawa is talking only about Western Europe, just to clarify, also known as "North-Western Europe". He's making also good points, somewhat humorous and exaggerated though.
I would have thought that 'some' of what he said was most likely aimed at Southern Europe myself?? Even then it is very inaccurate.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Let us see if it happens. Not likely. Why get rid of free protection and spend your own money on it.
Against whom and with which troops are you protecting us?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Against whom and with which troops are you protecting us?
Not sure.

Last time I checked Austria was a free country. The president seemed a nice enough guy. Why does he not just tell the US troops to pack up by a certain date and go home. After all it is well within your right to kick them out. And take over NATO completely. I am not sure if there is any agreement that says that such a thing cannot happen forever.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:17 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Not sure.

Last time I checked Austria was a free country. The president seemed a nice enough guy. Why does he not just tell the US troops to pack up by a certain date and go home. After all it is well within your right to kick them out. And take over NATO completely. I am not sure if there is any agreement that says that such a thing cannot happen forever.
Yeah, not sure... Because there are hardly any US troops in Europe anymore, in case you haven't noticed.

The US Army has one Stryker brigade in Germany and one Airborne RCT in Italy. An Armoured company in the Baltics. That's it. Around 20k fighting men. The rest of US Army Europe consists of logistics units, like medicinal and economical facilities.

That's your "protection". But I don't understand why USA would want to leave NATO? Getting rid of almost all its allies seems like a stupid thing.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:43 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
There is a simple solution to this. If you don't want US troops set a date and ask them to leave by that date. And then manage to fight all threats on your own. The European countries and sovereign countries and US cannot occupy them against their will.

If it was up to me, I would set a date. If there is any movement to disattach Europe from the overbearing ally who views the world as his personal playground, I am all for it. Europeans lived right next to all the current threats like the Middle East and Russia for centuries, and fought them successfully. No reason we can't do it again.

Also it would be nice if they took their fast food, their gangsta rap and their graffiti outta here with them.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:07 AM

What is all this talk of US troops overseas? Do people in the US realise that its not just US servicemen that get posted overseas or have base's overseas? Troops from all NATO countries are posted all over the place, that's what NATO is for, it may well be that there are more US servicemen overseas but that's only because there are so many Americans in this world. Personally I have found that every ex British soldier I have spoken to has loved the fact that they have seen a lot of the world thanks to all their different 'postings' they had when in the forces. If you are going to have NATO then you are going to have your soldiers sent overseas.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yeah, not sure... Because there are hardly any US troops in Europe anymore, in case you haven't noticed.

The US Army has one Stryker brigade in Germany and one Airborne RCT in Italy. An Armoured company in the Baltics. That's it. Around 20k fighting men. The rest of US Army Europe consists of logistics units, like medicinal and economical facilities.

That's your "protection". But I don't understand why USA would want to leave NATO? Getting rid of almost all its allies seems like a stupid thing.
I adid not advocate US leaving NATO. It was in response to a couple of European posters here on CD who wanted US soldiers out of Europe. To them, my response is - if you want them out go ahead and ask them to leave and manage security of Europe yourselves. Don't berate them for staying and at the same time expect them to provide overall security for Europe ( not saying Europeans are not participating but US provides overall nuclear security).

Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
....I think a lot of places get labelled very quickly. I know in Canada, someone goes to Toronto and thinks they know the country.
I thought it was all downhill after Belleville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe