Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No pun intended?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
i don't understand what you are indicating.
It was an innuendo he was alluding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:39 AM

11 posts, read 6,532 times
Hahaha. I love these US citizens who never traveled outside their state in US and are giving others advices about how the Europe is like. Then lists like this one appears and anybody living in Europe is wondering what the hell is going on. On a different forum I was laughing when I read another 'expert on Europe' how he adviced everybody to wear leather pants if they want to blend in because that is 'what they wear in Europe'.

He maybe visited european branch of Blue Oyster club?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGclIZV5JQ

'Taking a shower might be a challenge?' Where do you guys actualy get these ideas from?

It is actualy very easy to take a shower in Europe. You just climb down the tree find your cow, start it and then you take a shower. Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRzM2tZFng

Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I don't understand the shower thing.

That said when I was in Canada every shower was attached to the wall and you had to wash your hair every time you took a shower, that was a bit annoying.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM

11 posts, read 6,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

That said when I was in Canada every shower was attached to the wall and you had to wash your hair every time you took a shower, that was a bit annoying.
I was living in US for 5 months, I was traveling a lot around Europe and I can tell you that most of these things are BS. I am not saying that there are no differences between US and countries in Europe, but I would say there is nothing so different that it would make your life somehow uncomfortable. Just get your ass off the couch and start traveling and you will change your mind.

I was laughing all the time long when my friends from US kept asking me these stupid questions - like if we have TVs, if we have fridges, cars etc. First I was bit annoyed but then I started to play along and was telling them different stories, like - no, almost noone drives a car and that I just finished my driving license for a horse etc.

As for the list:

1) Exactly 2 ways. We try to save water so if you go number 1 you use less water and if you go nr.2 then you use more.
2) I really don't understand what was this guy's problem with showering here
3) you usualy leave it on reception, but nobody is going to chase you if you don't
4) I think this guy was in Spain. They have their siesta around noon. Anywhere else - not so much
5) I agree it is not usual for us to take a coffee to go. We like to sit and drink it. And we like real coffee. Like espresso. But you will find your Starbucks 'coffee' in most bigger cities as well.
6) Again BS. You got lot of fastfoods around (mcdonalds, burger king, etc.) + there are tons of bistros, restaurants usually also serve a daily menu - usually 3 dishes to choose from + soup. Usually for lunch but some also for dinner.
7) Before you order what? In restaurant? Never been to such a place. Quite the opposite. In all countries I have been to in Europe you pay for gas after you fill your tank, not like in US.
8) This is partialy true. Some are, some are not. This was one of the things I liked about US. Lot of toilets everywhere
9) WiFi is almost always available for free. There are still some hotels who charge for wifi extra, but the same happened to me in US as well. However, sometimes the wifi is secured by password in pubs, restaurants etc. You ask the waiter and he gives you the password. No biggi.
10) It is pretty common in some countries, in some not (Spain)
11) Some are for free, some are not, some are cheap, some expensive. Many different places in different countries
12) In Italy maybe.
13) Breakfast is everything you can think of. Most of (good) hotels have buffets for breakfast and you take whatever you want. Eggs are very common. Just make sure you don't book a cheap hotel or one with continental breakfast. Then you get just toasts with jam and coffee.
14) Like big in size, or like we don't eat them? Both untrue btw.
15) Seriously dude, where have you been? Sure in Europe? You can walk for days in hypermarkets here choosing different brands of whatever. I was shopping in the biggest cities in US for groceries (LA, San Francisco etc.) and I think we got pretty comparable selection. Sure, you will maybe not find the brands you are used to, but there is no shortage of variety for sure. BTW. your selection of chocolate in US sucks big time. If you think that Hersheys is good chocolate than come in Europe and try some Swiss brands of chocolate and you won't eat Hersheys ever again.
16) Burgers are done as you like them to be done. You just order medium rare, or blue rare or whatever you like.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:45 AM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
I'm still curious as to how some Europeans define "breakfast". According to one of the posters, eggs aren't breakfast. And while we're on that topic, I've always wondered about the so-called continental breakfasts. Do people in Europe really eat a roll and jam and coffee for breakfast on a regular basis? I have my doubts. Why do they call it a "continental breakfast", then? On whose continent do people eat that way for breakfast? lol

Old 02-10-2016, 12:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyFoter View Post
I was living in US for 5 months, I was traveling a lot around Europe and I can tell you that most of these things are BS. I am not saying that there are no differences between US and countries in Europe, but I would say there is nothing so different that it would make your life somehow uncomfortable. Just get your ass off the couch and start traveling and you will change your mind.

I was laughing all the time long when my friends from US kept asking me these stupid questions - like if we have TVs, if we have fridges, cars etc. First I was bit annoyed but then I started to play along and was telling them different stories, like - no, almost noone drives a car and that I just finished my driving license for a horse etc.

As for the list:

1) Exactly 2 ways. We try to save water so if you go number 1 you use less water and if you go nr.2 then you use more.
2) I really don't understand what was this guy's problem with showering here
3) you usualy leave it on reception, but nobody is going to chase you if you don't
4) I think this guy was in Spain. They have their siesta around noon. Anywhere else - not so much
5) I agree it is not usual for us to take a coffee to go. We like to sit and drink it. And we like real coffee. Like espresso. But you will find your Starbucks 'coffee' in most bigger cities as well.
6) Again BS. You got lot of fastfoods around (mcdonalds, burger king, etc.) + there are tons of bistros, restaurants usua for dinner.
7) Before you order what? In restaurant? Never been to such a place. Quite the opposite. In all countries I have been to in Europe you pay for gas after you fill your tank, not like in US.
8) This is partialy true. Some are, some are not. This was one of the things I liked about US. Lot of toilets everywhere
9) WiFi is almost always available for free. There are still some hotels who charge for wifi extra, but the same happened to me in US as well. However, sometimes the wifi is secured by password in pubs, restaurants etc. You ask the waiter and he gives you the password. No biggi.
10) It is pretty common in some countries, in some not (Spain)
11) Some are for free, some are not, some are cheap, some expensive. Many different places in different countries
12) In Italy maybe.
13) Breakfast is everything you can think of. Most of (good) hotels have buffets for breakfast and you take whatever you want. Eggs are very common. Just make sure you don't book a cheap hotel or one with continental breakfast. Then you get just toasts with jam and coffee.
14) Like big in size, or like we don't eat them? Both untrue btw.
15) Seriously dude, where have you been? Sure in Europe? You can walk for days in hypermarkets here choosing different brands of whatever. I was shopping in the biggest cities in US for groceries (LA, San Francisco etc.) and I think we got pretty comparable selection. Sure, you will maybe not find the brands you are used to, but there is no shortage of variety for sure. BTW. your selection of chocolate in US sucks big time. If you think that Hersheys is good chocolate than come in Europe and try some Swiss brands of chocolate and you won't eat Hersheys ever again.
16) Burgers are done as you like them to be done. You just order medium rare, or blue rare or whatever you like.
We have siesta time in Southern Italy, especially outside of the largest cities. That time isn't actually spent sleeping but just having lunch and spending time with family (although there's always someone who prefers sleeping once in a while). In the whole of Italy, there's also the impressive number of only one Starbuck. That one Starbuck is in the outskirts of Milan and a tourist will most likely never end up there anyway but this is Italy and you can get a better coffee anywhere else.

Most people would actually leave if a restaurant asked them to pay before ordering. Ordering latte means ordering milk in Italy, i don't know if it's the same elsewhere

Number 10 and Number 12 are the only thing who completely stand true

Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

I've never heard of having to wash your hair every time you shower. Ever hear of a shower cap? Most hotels provide them for free along with the soaps and shampoo in the bathroom. Otherwise, you can get them at any pharmacy. Perhaps the shower cap is a nuance of American life Europeans aren't aware of....?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:17 PM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard of having to wash your hair every time you shower. Ever hear of a shower cap? Most hotels provide them for free along with the soaps and shampoo in the bathroom. Otherwise, you can get them at any pharmacy. Perhaps the shower cap is a nuance of American life Europeans aren't aware of....?
Thats why we have necks. We can bend them and lean in angles so we don't have to wash our hair.

I just don't understand how you get the soap out of HIDDEN parts on your body if the shower head is stuck.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Thats why we have necks. We can bend them and lean in angles so we don't have to wash our hair.

I just don't understand how you get the soap out of HIDDEN parts on your body if the shower head is stuck.
That's one thing the washcloth is for.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:45 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I'm still curious as to how some Europeans define "breakfast". According to one of the posters, eggs aren't breakfast. And while we're on that topic, I've always wondered about the so-called continental breakfasts. Do people in Europe really eat a roll and jam and coffee for breakfast on a regular basis? I have my doubts. Why do they call it a "continental breakfast", then? On whose continent do people eat that way for breakfast? lol
Cold cuts or jam on bread is probably the most common breakfast in Austria. Müsli is also quite popular. Eggs are more of a Sunday brunch thing. Takes too much time to prepare them on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe